Main Menu

Packs, bags and pouches

Started by SARMedTech, June 25, 2007, 06:41:55 AM

jb512

Quote from: SARMedTech on July 18, 2007, 12:51:04 AM
Actually, that is not correct. Unlike an "off duty" LEO, an off duty EMT or Paramedic has absolutely no duty to act regardless of how many stickers or decals they have on their POV. The reason for this is that when you are not on duty, you are not covered under liability, not are you operating under any medical directors license. Both of these things only occur when you are on duty for the agency you work for. Im also fairly certain that a firefighter has no duty to act when not on duty as well, but no being currently a firefighter, I could say. But I am sure about the other aspect. This is true enough to be a whole set of questions on the NREMT exam and is covered at some length in the Brady text. Could you please site your sources for the idea that if you have any "identifying" emblem on your POV that you are required to stop?

While we're on the subject, an off duty LEO is not required to act either.  Would we?, of course.  Again the application of legal vs. moral would work best.

Stonewall

Something I wish I had BITD (Back In The Day), is the Camelbak BFM.  It's quite costly, like $150, but to me, it is the most practical pack I've seen and used.  I didn't get it until 2005 when they sent one to me to T&E (Test and Evaluate) for use on my protection team.  They also sent us a "med bag insert".  Its an insert that turns the pack into a medical bag with several different internal pouches designed for medical gear.  I was able to keep both but never used the medical insert because we already used the STOMP pack by Blackhawk.

The BFM is larger than a regular 3-day pack, but smaller than a large rucksack.  And the internal and exeternal pouches are perfect, I mean perfect, for storing smaller items.  Inside the pack, there are straps to tighten things down and keep things separate.  If you see one at a store, open it up and look inside, you'll see what I mean.  In one of the outside pockets, sort of the "admin pocket", it has two pouches for handheld radios.  I'm telling you, it's the Bee's Knees.

Camelbak BFM

MedBak Insert
Serving since 1987.

SARMedTech

Stonewall-

exactly the pack I have been looking for!  Where has it been all my life?!? Could you please point me to a online source for the pack and medical insert. As soon as you point me to it, I will order it. Can they be had in TacBlack? That would allow me to use it for multiple applications. If you respond soon, I can still order today. Will it fit a sleeping bag, shelter half.etc?
"Corpsman Up!"

"...The distinct possibility of dying slow, cold and alone...but you also get the chance to save lives, and there is no greater calling in the world than that."

SARMedTech

Quote from: jaybird512 on July 23, 2007, 04:14:31 AM
Actually, that is not correct. Unlike an "off duty" LEO, an off duty EMT or Paramedic has absolutely no duty to act regardless of how many stickers or decals they have on their POV. The reason for this is that when you are not on duty, you are not covered under liability, not are you operating under any medical directors license. Both of these things only occur when you are on duty for the agency you work for. Im also fairly certain that a firefighter has no duty to act when not on duty as well, but no being currently a firefighter, I could say. But I am sure about the other aspect. This is true enough to be a whole set of questions on the NREMT exam and is covered at some length in the Brady text. Could you please site your sources for the idea that if you have any "identifying" emblem on your POV that you are required to stop?

While we're on the subject, an off duty LEO is not required to act either.  Would we?, of course.  Again the application of legal vs. moral would work best.

In Illininois, where my father was a LEO for 37 years, an off duty LEO witnessing a crime occurring, must take "direct, appropriate and significant" action to stop it. So you can bet out here at least that an off duty LEO getting his Saturday Krispy Kreme fix when the place got help up would drug before IB before his next shift. In fact, in Illinois, off duty LEOs are expected to be armed.
"Corpsman Up!"

"...The distinct possibility of dying slow, cold and alone...but you also get the chance to save lives, and there is no greater calling in the world than that."

JohnKachenmeister

Also the case in Ohio.  An officer, on or off duty, is expected to take action to stop crime and apprehend the offender when it is within his power to do so, alone or with available assistance.

Failure to do so is a second degree misdemeanor.
Another former CAP officer

JohnKachenmeister

Quote from: SARMedTech on July 23, 2007, 07:47:16 PM
Stonewall-

exactly the pack I have been looking for!  Where has it been all my life?!? Could you please point me to a online source for the pack and medical insert. As soon as you point me to it, I will order it. Can they be had in TacBlack? That would allow me to use it for multiple applications. If you respond soon, I can still order today. Will it fit a sleeping bag, shelter half.etc?

I have one.  It is the most comfortable pack I ever carried.  i do no use the medical insert, though, I have a small commercial first aid kit that I pack inside.

Another former CAP officer

Stonewall

Quote from: SARMedTech on July 23, 2007, 07:47:16 PM
Stonewall-

Dude, what would we do without things in "tactical black" plastered with velcro all over them?  Not sure we'd live.  You can find them anywhere, from the military clothing sales store on an Army post to the Galls catalog.  I actually got mine from our rep at Galls.  I'd check on ebay too.  I'm sure most every place has them, like Brigade Quartermaster (www.actiongear.com) my favorite place to shop.  Since you seem to be a Gear Queer and require instant gratificaiton, like myself, I'd simply call all the normal places and make sure they have it in stock.  Not sure where the med insert is, but if I can find it I'd send you mine.  I'm sure it's worth at least $60.  Just not sure when I'd get the time to box it up and send it.
Serving since 1987.

Stonewall

See the vertical side pouch on the BFM?  There's one on both sides.  I use a small utility pouch, actually called a shave kit for some reason, from Blackhawk.  On one side, I keep all sorts of personal meds, everything from Malorone, Amoxicilan and Cipro to  bandaids and moleskin.  Of course that was for my worldwide travels to developing countries.  On the other side, I carried the same pouch with all my plug adapters for different countries as well as my phone and iPod charger.

The BHI (shaving kit) pouch:  http://www.blackhawk.com/product1.asp?P=20SK00BK&C=C1190

That bottom horizontal pouch has several internal mesh pouches which also allows you to separate odds and ends.

I'm telling you, I'm a huge fan of the BFM. 

*THIS IS NOT A PAID ADVERTISEMENT*

[EDIT TO ADD]  I think, yes, the BFM could fit a small moderate weather sleeping bag (fart sack), or maybe a cold weather down bag.    And yes, a small tent, but not together with a sleeping bag.  I have a Mountain Hardware Slick Rock tent that weighs in at like 2 1/2 lbs.  I've fit that along with a my 10 degree down bag in a Eagle 3-day assault pack.  But then you lose out on other valuable space for important things.  If I still lived in VA where it does snow and gets pretty dern cold, I'd keep a regular ruck sack in my vehicle with a zero degree bag and a real tent, but in the BFM I'd have 2 military ponchos with bungee cords and a poncho liner for an emergency shelter.  That's just how I roll.
Serving since 1987.

Stonewall

FWIW, I just searched and found a pic of the CFP-90.  I still stand by this as a primary ruck sack/72hr gear, especially for those areas where it gets cold.  I love the separate area for the fart sack on the bottom so you don't have to dig through your junk to get it out.

See, like the BFM, it's a very good pack to compartimentalize.  I've been called anal retentive more than once in my life and I love to have a place for everything.  From my personal hygiene kit to ziploc bags for socks and underwear, I love organization.
Serving since 1987.

jb512

Quote from: SARMedTech on July 23, 2007, 08:06:46 PM
Quote from: jaybird512 on July 23, 2007, 04:14:31 AM

In Illininois, where my father was a LEO for 37 years, an off duty LEO witnessing a crime occurring, must take "direct, appropriate and significant" action to stop it. So you can bet out here at least that an off duty LEO getting his Saturday Krispy Kreme fix when the place got help up would drug before IB before his next shift. In fact, in Illinois, off duty LEOs are expected to be armed.

To a certain extent, that's correct and every cop I know would jump into a situation regardless.  Here's an example:

http://www.kxan.com/Global/story.asp?S=5461766&nav=0s3dGNIk

Having a pregnant wife in the car and her parents could have been a defense for not acting based on their safety.  Case law has upheld that a cop can't be held liable for acts he did not prevent unless it's just plain negligence or a refusal to act with no other reason but it's hard to apply one specific law to every case.

Sorry, we're getting off topic.

trekkindave

Two things...

1) Has anyone ever looked into the Urban Search and Rescue Gear for a 24 hour pack? Its sort of like web gear but more comfortable and not as "green" looking.   Alittle more up to date. 

2) As for anyone that carries advanced EMS gear in packs... its a slippery slope no matter where you are.  As a professional paramedic in a busy system,  i can tell you that carrying gear in your vehicle is a bad thing.    All paramedics, and EMT's can tell you that you are working under direct "supervision" from a Medical Control Doctor or your Medical Director. (No.. we are not just calling to get orders, we have liberal protocols)   Having a tube kit is fine and dandy, but how the hell are you going to ensure that a patient intubated in the field 5 miles into the woods over rough and technical terrain is going to stay intubated for the entire transport down to the landing zone or extraction point?    I woudl think that you would find it difficult to maintain that airway for the entire transport without some sort of wilderness training. 

Now the for the duty to act part.   If you want to be a dinger, buff, or other word for someone who takes its to the xtreme then go ahead and put stickers on your car.. I did it.. But have toned it down.    (BTW has anyone seen that video of those kids with the lights , one with a possible CAP windbreaker on)

Those who posted about Duty to act for off duty EMS providers were right and wrong int he same time.    Some places require persons who are trained to act to render care or assitance  if they see somone in need.   These places tend to be the places were only a hand full of people will go down a road in a given day.  Example Vermont, and Washington State.

Speaking for NY state.   All EMS providers do not have  a duty to act off duty (LEGALLY, ETHICS OR MORALS ARE DIFFERENT).   NY allows bystanders and lay rescuers to provide assistance up to their level of training under the Good Samaritan laws. Most states have them, and they state that if you act up to your level of training in good faith, that you are not held liable for damages.    NY state ALS providers or not allowed by PART 800 of the public health law from carring ALS (Advanced life support) equipment in their vehicles unless they are fully equiped  according to the state minimum requirments, and they are inspected and certified by the state dept of health. 

I have heard rumors of some off duty dinger  with stickers that was sued for not stopping to help, but i have not seen it in writing. 

So for short, act to your proper leve of training.   Why bring just limited equipment to the table if you cannot provide full ALS care and further support.  Simple things like a BVM  and other BLS devices that are covered in CPR classes perhapse, but tube kits and what not are not necessary.  Chances are, if you are finding a crash victim they will most likely be dead on arrival, or so far gone into decompensated shock that just a tube kit will not help..

I am willing to discuss this topic with anyone who wishes..... i do not claim to be an expert in the subject of EMS law, but my 7 years of experience should count for something..

Stonewall

I'm a fan of CAP folks just using military gear, but chcek out this SAR Vest I found online today.  Comes in black, green and orange.  Seems pretty practical and not too expensive.

Quote4) Our Hydra-SAR vest is packed with features designed for SAR personnel. The front features 3 zip 5"x8" pockets, 2 of them with reflectives. The upper left radio holder will hold any type of radio. The upper left and lower right holders will hold a FRS, a GPS, or can be used as just a pocket for spare batteries, compass, etc. The collar is foam-lined for comfort, with reflectives on each side. Built-in clips hold the hydration hose with bite valve, mesh provides cool comfort. The back pack portion has a separate sleeve for the included 70oz Bladder, and will hold approximately 1170cu in of gear (13x18x6). The vest is fully adjustable to fit most sizes. Extension straps available for up to XXXL. Custom colors available for orders of 50 or more.

Also available without backpack pocket and bladder. Allows for use of personal backpack or hydration pack.

http://www.searchgear.com/cart.cgi?sid=351990&printImage=catalog/images/VES1030L.gif
Serving since 1987.