Main Menu

Spaatz Tips

Started by Panther, December 05, 2017, 07:06:51 AM

Panther

I'm prepping to take my Spaatz exam in the next month or so. Any and all tips (excluding PT) are appreciated  :)

USAFA '20

JD

Read your Learn to Lead and Journey of Flight books. Practice writing essays on leadership topics such as the ones required for Achievement 8 or the Eaker Award. Have a senior member, English teacher, and another cadet read it to make sure it meets the objectives, is grammatically correct, and makes sense.

Good luck!

FW

It would be a good time to review other recommended books and articles on the subject matter.  Bone up on Leadership/Business theory and AE subject matter.  The exam is VERY comprehensive...
Good Luck. 

LSThiker

Quote from: Panther on December 05, 2017, 07:06:51 AM
I'm prepping to take my Spaatz exam in the next month or so. Any and all tips (excluding PT) are appreciated  :)

Like I tell my students before they get ready for their comprehensive finals:

Establish goals
Control your study environment
Make note cards or other useful study aids
Reward yourself (meaning do not just always study)
Practice as much as you can (i.e., writing)

Just before:
Get a good night's sleep
Do not try to cram study
Eat well
Generally follow your normal schedule as best as your can (e.g., if you go to the gym at 6 am, then go to the gym at 6 am)
Arrive early to the test to eliminate any panic feeling
Monitor your time

and finally

Don't Panic

The Spaatz, while a large comprehensive exam, is not impossible.  I hope you have time to spare before turning 21. 

If you pass, celebrate and be proud.  Just remember, while important for the time, it does not define your life.  If you fail, such is the game.  Be happy to have achieved the Eaker.  Just remember, it does not define your life.

Passing the Spaatz, while huge at the time, does not rank in my top 10 important life events (e.g., marriage, child, child's accomplishments, PhD, etc)

PHall

My best tip on taking the Spaatz Exam?  Don't wait until you're 20 years, 6 months old to take it!

Panther

Quote from: PHall on December 06, 2017, 02:18:57 AM
My best tip on taking the Spaatz Exam?  Don't wait until you're 20 years, 6 months old to take it!

I just turned 19, so I've got plenty of time. I'll be scheduling a test when I'm back from leave in January.

Definitely appreciate the input everyone :)

USAFA '20

MSG Mac

Yeah, had a guy in my squadron pass it on the day before his 21st Birthday.
Michael P. McEleney
Lt Col CAP
MSG USA (Retired)
50 Year Member

Ed DeSocio

My two cents.....
I was ready for the aerospace exam and passed it outright.
I found the leadership exam to be the tougher of the two.  Be sure to have CAPM 39-1, CAPR 52-16 (Ch. 1-5) and that Drill and Ceremonies Manual down cold.  I didn't, and it cost me.
Know how to write a properly formatted (college level) essay.  This was called the Baker Format in 1981 when I took my first crack at the Spaatz.  I was 16 years old at the time (timing between achievements was shorter then) and hadn't taken English composition in high school yet.  So, before my second (and successful) attempt, I sought the help of a senior class English teacher at my school.  He guided me through a bunch of practice papers.
I ran track and cross country, so the run was a given.  I suspect that the same is true for you.
I didn't study the day before my second try.  I really think that helped a lot to reduce stress.
Good luck and I look forward to offering my congratulations!

Ed DeSocio
Spaatz #594

Ed DeSocio

Just noticed that you're at the Academy!  You'll nail the essay!  Good luck!

Ed DeSocio
Spaatz #594

Robert Hartigan

Quote from: MSG Mac on December 06, 2017, 04:59:55 AM

I realizing that every situation is different, but I have always felt cadets who wait after the Eaker award when they have enough time to make all three attempts for the Spaatz exam before their 21st birthday are violating their cadet oath and the core values.

Those cadets who plateau at the Eaker with more than enough time to attempt the Spaatz exam 3 times are not advancing their education and training rapidly to be of service which is a violation of the cadet oath. In my opinion, failing to take the Spaatz exam after the Eaker is worse than failing the Spaatz exam all together because the first is a failure of personal leadership while the second is an academic result of a leader who took a risk. There are valuable lessons to be learned from a Spaatz exam failure and potential for growth. I'm not sure what lesson is learned from not trying?

Keep in mind, attaining the Spaatz award only proves to Civil Air Patrol, Incorporated that a cadet has demonstrated superior performance by examination and completed Phase IV with distinction. It doesn't promote the cadet beyond being a student of the leadership laboratory that is the CAP cadet program. In my opinion, a Spaatz cadet and the award are more valuable if a recipient has time left in the program to continue learning and leading.

YMWV.
<><><>#996
GRW   #2717

Mitchell 1969

Quote from: Robert Hartigan on December 06, 2017, 05:18:32 PM
Quote from: MSG Mac on December 06, 2017, 04:59:55 AM

I realizing that every situation is different, but I have always felt cadets who wait after the Eaker award when they have enough time to make all three attempts for the Spaatz exam before their 21st birthday are violating their cadet oath and the core values.

Those cadets who plateau at the Eaker with more than enough time to attempt the Spaatz exam 3 times are not advancing their education and training rapidly to be of service which is a violation of the cadet oath. In my opinion, failing to take the Spaatz exam after the Eaker is worse than failing the Spaatz exam all together because the first is a failure of personal leadership while the second is an academic result of a leader who took a risk. There are valuable lessons to be learned from a Spaatz exam failure and potential for growth. I'm not sure what lesson is learned from not trying?

Keep in mind, attaining the Spaatz award only proves to Civil Air Patrol, Incorporated that a cadet has demonstrated superior performance by examination and completed Phase IV with distinction. It doesn't promote the cadet beyond being a student of the leadership laboratory that is the CAP cadet program. In my opinion, a Spaatz cadet and the award are more valuable if a recipient has time left in the program to continue learning and leading.

YMWV.

Not taking the Spaatz doesn't at all mean that the Cadet Oath has been violated. The obligation under the oath is to advance their education and training rapidly. Completion of the final achievement means that the training has been completed. The Spaatz exam is, as the term conveys, an examination, not training, and there is no requirement to attempt it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mitchell 1969; Earhart 1971; Eaker 1973. Cadet Flying Encampment, License, 1970. IACE New Zealand 1971; IACE Korea 1973.

CAP has been bery, bery good to me.

coudano

Leave yourself time for a retake.
You can't plan things like illness/etc.