What parts of a PT Test can be administered by a Phys Ed/ Gym Teacher?

Started by Herman_Snerd, November 18, 2017, 10:48:36 AM

Herman_Snerd

Hi Y'All,

May I ask which parts of the PT Test can be administered by a physical education teacher?

Also, is there an updated 52-18 other than the one that says "Test Administrators. The CPFT must be administered by a senior member, who need not be the unit's testing officer; a CAPUSAF member; or with the unit commander's approval, a physical education teacher. Cadets may assist in proctoring the CPFT under the supervision of the test administrator. "

Is there a part of regulation 52-18 that says the only event that an outside Physical Ed Teacher or Coach can document is the mile run. The other test events must be conducted with the PT Officer. If so, can you please copy/ paste in the words and share the section/ page number with me?

Thanks very much!

Eclipse

Quote from: Herman_Snerd on November 18, 2017, 10:48:36 AM
May I ask which parts of the PT Test can be administered by a physical education teacher?

All as authorized by the CC.

Also, is there an updated 52-18
Not as of yet, though a re-numbered version, at the least, is expected before 1 Feb.

Is there a part of regulation 52-18 that says the only event that an outside Physical Ed Teacher or Coach can document is the mile run.
No, and if anyone is telling you that, or inferring it, ask them to provide the verbiage.

Quote from: Herman_Snerd on November 18, 2017, 10:48:36 AM"Test Administrators. The CPFT must be administered by
a senior member, who need not be the unit's testing officer; a CAPUSAF member; or with the unit commander's approval,
a physical education teacher. Cadets may assist in proctoring the CPFT under the supervision of the test administrator. "

Note in the bold above, it doesn't say "parts of" or "this part", it says "The CPFT", meaning the whole of it.
CC approval can't be ignored, however, and a cadet should not be walking in after 3 months gone, hand a piece
of paper to the CC and say "check the box", etc.  (BTDT, also "Epstein's Mother" can't sign the letter...)

The ability for a disinterested 3rd party to provide substantiation that a cadet has completed a
respective portion of the CPFT is clearly intended for unusual situations where testing is important,
but the cadet is not able to attend a unit's testing night(s).  Frankly, in most cases, unless the
cadet falls into one of those unusual "asset to the unit, but away for a protrated period" situations,
most cadets could simply wait until the next test period with little impact on their cadet careers,
but encampments, NESA, NCSAs, etc., wait for no man, and cadets like to go to those with the highest grade they
can attain, thus the flexibility.

"That Others May Zoom"

Herman_Snerd

Thank you for the guidance and information - this is very helpful.  In this case, we have a couple of bad apples in a unit (only a very little few - 3 - but it's amazing the negative effect they can have on all the cadets in a CAP unit) who are not bringing requests to drill/ pt test up the chain.  Twice this year, cadets eligible to promote are at the meetings, and watching peers test, while they are told they are not the priority / not on the priority list.  This leads to a very unbalanced environment where cadets are advancing faster/ slower than their peers. It's Because of this, we've been trying to get PT tests completed with a gym teacher so promotions can take less than six months.

This is a good example of someone stating a regulation with authority but it's really just nonsense.  Thank you for affirming that for me.

It's amazing how much damage/ how much of a disadvantage being in a unit with leadership who doesn't address concerns can be. I have escalated the systemic problems up higher than the unit to have this corrected- hopefully.

Eclipse

So cadets who need to do PT tests are just ignored and not allowed to test?  Does your
unit have a regularly scheduled PT meeting?

Drill is one thing - we require cadets request drill tests a week in advance - primarily
to get them in the habit of not raising a hand mid-meeting and expecting the world to
stop for them, but on the monthly PT nights every cadet in attendance runs the mile and
does all the other parts - everyone is tested.  If they don't need a "number", it's just
practice or making sure they are on track.

I can't imagine having cadets just standing around watching others test while they are
told they can't.  And there's no excuse for "not knowing who needs what, etc." as there are simple,
clear reports the unit CP staff should be running regularly to check progress (or lack thereof).

"That Others May Zoom"

TheSkyHornet

Your unit must provide at least one hour of fitness each month. This should automatically include the CPFT included in there. If your unit does not provide the opportunity for cadets to test, they are denying them their rightful opportunity to advance/progress in the program. That's a problem in itself.

Regarding the "gym teacher" thing. We do that at our unit every now and then. It's case-by-case, and it depends on the circumstances of the request. We have had cadets send us their score card (we have a unit-made version) with a gym teacher's stamp on it, and we've gone "Excuse me, but who authorized this?" There are three individuals in our unit that are delegated the authority to permit this, so it needs to be cleared with one of us first (it's not a formal process).

Skipping PT day does not constitute someone that is permitted to just take a test at school or with a coach. "Not feeling well" falls into that same category. If you show up and you don't participate because you voluntarily opted out, that's on you, and you don't get a free pass.

There is a requirement in the reg for passing and failing PT as well. The only part of the CPFT that can be conducted by itself is the mile run, and this to aid in those units that could not offer the mile run during the scheduled CPFT time (such as due to weather, facilities being used, etc). If you do one of the other events, you have to do all of it (i.e., if you do push-ups, you have to do everything else too).

Sounds like you've talked to your unit leadership and have made a point about it, and you came on here to confirm your issues and see what else you can do about it. While I can't confirm that, I can commend it. That's leadership.