Main Menu

Electronic sign in

Started by Strikermd140, September 04, 2017, 07:55:49 PM

Strikermd140

I was looking though the forums and didn't see anything that really pertained to this, although some were close. So myself and another IT guy at my squadron were looking into a way to use swipe cards (or CAP IDs) to log into our meetings. Basically a member shows up, swipes there CAP ID in a card reader and it logs the time they arrive, the members name, CAP ID, etc. This would then transfer to the excel attendance log NHQ has on member reports to either be printed or stored online (right now we print out the attendance log and wet sign in). We want to get out of the paper era and move to a somewhat digital era.  Anyone use this at there squadrons? looking for idea on how to proceed and make it work. TIA.

Maj. Chris Striker, CAP // MD031
MO/MS/MRO/CUL
Freestate 636

kwe1009

My previous squadron used SIMS and a barcode scanner to track member attendance and a Google form for visitors.  It worked very well and generates zero paper.  Since SIMS had everyone in alphabetical order, it is easy to transpose that to eServices.  It would be nice if there was the ability to upload to the Attendance module or to use a barcode scanner to input into it but that is probably a decade from happening, if ever.

Hopefully someone on here has a better way to do this.

Eclipse

Eservices now has electronic attendance logging.
It's not perfect but it's better than paper.

"That Others May Zoom"

Strikermd140

I do use the electronic form after everyone logs in on paper..  Should be the admin or personnel officer to input that into e-services but sometimes other things are higher priority to get done.

I tried to get SIMS to work, but its was the CAPWATCH downloads that had to be done weekly that never actually got done. and i never really got it to work.

Ive seen them scan the ID cards at missions, so i know it sort-of exists is some form. If we happen to get some sort of system going at squadron, ill make sure its passed on for others to use.
Maj. Chris Striker, CAP // MD031
MO/MS/MRO/CUL
Freestate 636

Luis R. Ramos

I guess we will disagree about paper vs online.

Given light, paper is always readable for a long time.

Electronic you need the program standard, which may not be readable across platforms. I just read a message from SarDragon stating that "Smilies are not readable in his iPhone, but in his computer" or similar.

Paper can be read or written to whether it is a blank piece of paper, a notebook, red, white, or blue.

Online you need the program having been written to run on a Mac, PC, and also "for that application standard" or Doc, Docx, PDF, etc.

Paper can be carried to just any other place and does not weigh a lot.

To read an electronic signature you need to carry (huff, puff) your laptop, or tablet, with other stuff just in case where you are going does not have one.

Where they are equal is that, when paper gets wet, it is damaged.

And when water falls on a computer, it short circuits!

>:D

But I agree that online is here to stay, so I will continue using it. And no, I am not against computers. My first professional job was as a library teacher in charge of the library computer systems. I made purchase orders regarding computers for the library for the college administration to approve and disseminate. And remained more or less the person to look for when computers are doing crazy things in some of the positions I have been. I retired in Jul 17...

8)

Squadron Safety Officer
Squadron Communication Officer
Squadron Emergency Services Officer

kwe1009

I would disagree that paper is always readable.  Paper not only fades over time but is easily destroyed.  The main issues that my previous squadron had was that too often a person would visit and we could never follow up with them because we were not able to decipher what that wrote on the visitor log.  Using a Google Form, we have that information and it is available across any platform (Mac, PC, Android, LINUX, etc) without installing any software.  Very few people today don't have a smartphone or computer within 3 feet of them at any time so access to information is not difficult as long as the unit is using a cloud-based storage solution for their files (highly recommended). 

At the end of the day, it is really personal preference and for my previous squadron electronic was the best way to go.  They don't have offices or storage other than at people's houses so minimizing paper was a prime goal.  We were able to reduce the squadron's paper footprint down to just a single small file box that is easily carried by one person.  Everything else is online with strictly controlled permissions to each folder.  It also makes things like seeing how many meeting Cadet Smith has attended in the last 8 months very easy.  Instead of looking through multiple sign in sheets, we can just run a report.  eServices is making attendance tracking easier too but still has a ways to go.

Eclipse

Everything in your electronic unit files should be in .pdf.

It's a cross-platform, ISO-standard format intended for long-term arhiving of documents.

"That Others May Zoom"

Luis R. Ramos

All my CAP paper files going back to 1996 are still readable.

But side aside, I cannot remember where I stored the folder. Have at least two copies. One is in my house somewhere, the other is at group.

Which is the same issue whenever I need a particular CAP file in my computer. In which directory is it?

I have paper files going back farther than the CAP files...
Squadron Safety Officer

Eclipse

If they are "in your computer", they are "in the wrong place".

Think of all the files in Houston that were "in a computer", that aren't any more.

Same for the paper.

"That Others May Zoom"

Luis R. Ramos

Correction. In my squadron's laptop!  >:D
Squadron Safety Officer

Eclipse

"That Others May Zoom"

kwe1009

Quote from: Eclipse on September 05, 2017, 12:35:09 AM
If they are "in your computer", they are "in the wrong place".

Think of all the files in Houston that were "in a computer", that aren't any more.

Same for the paper.

Exactly.  Both paper and a computer are equally destroyed if exposed to water or fire long enough.  Having back ups on a thumb drive that is in the same case as the computer is not the answer either.  There are a good number of cloud-based storage options for little or no cost.  I just don't understand why so many people (not just in CAP) are hesitant to use them.

Google drive works great for me.  I can access any of my files from any computer or my phone.  I can even pull them up on the radio in my car!  That definitely beats lugging around boxes of paper and rifling through them to find a specific document.

Where I work we use a cloud-based solution for all document storage.  If it is good enough for a multi-billion dollar corporation that is literally the backbone of the Internet, it should be good enough for anyone.  DoD is moving to the cloud as well so might as well get with the times...

waukwiz

Cadet Cullen Mayes
Waukesha Composite Squadron
"Ok, how about instead of doing that, let's not do that. Ok?"
GTM1 • MO • MRO • MSA • ♦UDF

TIger

I use SIMS and a bluetooth barcode reader I pass around the meeting.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Luis R. Ramos

Tiger, I have been looking for a barcode reader to use for signing in at missions or exercises. Can you private message me with the specs?
Squadron Safety Officer

kwe1009

Go to amazon.com and search for barcode scanner is all you need to do.  We spent less than $15 on ours and it works great.  A bluetooth one will run a little more but is basically boils down to what you want.

We use SIMS as well and it is set up at the entrance so people just scan their CAPID as they walk in.  Quick and easy.

etodd

Quote from: TIger on September 06, 2017, 02:06:43 AM
I use SIMS and a bluetooth barcode reader I pass around the meeting.

How many folks say 'Sorry, I forgot my card?"
"Don't try to explain it, just bow your head
Breathe in, breathe out, move on ..."

Eclipse

Quote from: etodd on September 06, 2017, 02:48:14 PM

Just the ones who want to go home an get it.

No ID, no play.

"That Others May Zoom"

kwe1009

Quote from: Eclipse on September 06, 2017, 03:00:33 PM

No ID, no play.

Exactly.  For the cadet, having their CAPID on them was part of the computation for cadet of the quarter so that helped with not forgetting them. 

etodd

Quote from: Eclipse on September 06, 2017, 03:00:33 PM

No ID, no play.

I keep a good photo of it on my cell phone as well. Tested it for fun at a SAREX and their barcode scanner read it off the phone just fine.
"Don't try to explain it, just bow your head
Breathe in, breathe out, move on ..."