What does your unit training library look like?

Started by Holding Pattern, August 28, 2017, 04:26:40 PM

Holding Pattern

What does your unit library look like? Do you have a bookshelf, a box of books, or a website with a stack of links?

Per CAPR 20-1:
Professional Development Officer
Manages and directs the CAP professional development program. They shall:
Maintain a unit training library.

Per CAPR 50-17:

2-2. Reference Library. CAP PDOs will maintain a print/or electronic library of current
materials used in the Senior Member Professional Development Program. Contents should
include professional development-oriented material. As a minimum, it will contain CAPR 50-17;
CAPR 35-5, CAP Officer and Noncommissioned Officer Appointments and Promotions; CAPR
39-3, Award of CAP Medals, Ribbons, and Certificates; and CAPR 50-4, Test Administration
and Security; all senior member specialty track study guides; and the new senior member
welcome information. Other helpful materials include Federal Aviation Administration (FAA)
publications pertaining to CAP and training materials from the American Red Cross, Federal
Communications Commission, FEMA, and the USAF.

CAPP 40-40:
Training and Performance Requirements
To complete the Technician Rating in the Professional Development Officer specialty
track, the member must:
Development and maintain a professional development training material
library. (note, sending feedback as that should read "Develop")

CAPP 213 ESO:
Objectives. To complete the technician level of this specialty track, members must:
Review the unit training library to ensure that ES training material is current and available. At a minimum, the unit
training library should include:
a. National Civil Air Patrol agreements with external agencies (Federal Emergency Management Agency,
American Red Cross, Salvation Army, etc.)
b. State or local agreements with the CAP wing
c. Current emergency services related CAP regulations, manuals, pamphlets, and approved local supplements and
operating instructions

CAPP 217 Safety:
KNOWLEDGE REQUIREMENTS
1. To achieve the master rating, the student must demonstrate advanced performance
and thorough knowledge of CAP's safety program.
2. Demonstrate a thorough understanding of the safety aspects of these references as
part of a safety library (paper or electronic).
a. CAPR 50-20, CAP Model Rocketry Program
b. CAPR 52-16, Cadet Program Management
c. CAPP 52-18, Cadet Physical Fitness Program
d. CAPF 54, High Adventure Activity (HAA) Request
e. CAPR 60-1, CAP Flight Management
f. CAPR 60-3, CAP Emergency Services Training and Operational
Missions
g. CAPR 62-1, CAP Safety Responsibilities and Procedures
h. CAPR 62-2, Mishap Reporting and Investigation
i. CAPR 66-1, CAP Aircraft Maintenance Management
j. CAPR 77-1, Operation and Maintenance of CAP Vehicles
k. Title 49, Transportation, Chapter VIII, Part 830, Notification and Reporting of
Aircraft Accidents or Incidents and Overdue Aircraft (read only; not required in
the library).

Eclipse

Nothing on a shelf is going to be as current as the online version.

There hasn't been a mandate to maintain local documents for a long time.

"That Others May Zoom"

kwe1009

Our library is electronic only and has links to the NHQ forms/pubs page (not any individual forms or publications) and links to our Wing and Region pubs pages.  We are a nearly 100% paperless unit.

Capt Thompson

Like Eclipse said, CAP would rather have you go online for the current version, rather than keeping a copy at the Squadron or a link to a pub that will soon be out of date. If someone asks for a particular pub, I tell them to Google it and download the most recent version.
Capt Matt Thompson
Deputy Commander for Cadets, Historian, Public Affairs Officer

Mitchell - 31 OCT 98 (#44670) Earhart - 1 OCT 00 (#11401)

arajca

Quote from: 1st Lt Thompson on August 28, 2017, 05:24:12 PM
Like Eclipse said, CAP would rather have you go online for the current version, rather than keeping a copy at the Squadron or a link to a pub that will soon be out of date. If someone asks for a particular pub, I tell them to Google it and download the most recent version.
I tell them to go to www.capmembers.com and click on the Publications link. If someone just googles the reg, they may or may not get the most current version and may not know the version they chose is current or not. At least with the official source, you stand a really good chance of getting the most current version.

etodd

Google it for our Squadron as well. No library on a shelf. BUT .... tell folks to make their Google search thorough. When a new version goes online, for some reason folks do not get around to deleting the old versions. You can find a 2011 AP Guide online easier than you can find the 2013 version for example.  :(
"Don't try to explain it, just bow your head
Breathe in, breathe out, move on ..."

Briank

Part of a locker and part of a file cabinet have training books.  Like most though, we go to the Internet first and the virtual library...

Holding Pattern

Quote from: Eclipse on August 28, 2017, 04:37:05 PM

Nothing on a shelf is going to be as current as the online version.

There hasn't been a mandate to maintain local documents for a long time.

Quote from: etodd on August 28, 2017, 07:23:11 PM
Google it for our Squadron as well. No library on a shelf. BUT .... tell folks to make their Google search thorough. When a new version goes online, for some reason folks do not get around to deleting the old versions. You can find a 2011 AP Guide online easier than you can find the 2013 version for example.  :(

So you don't maintain a list of links?

Eclipse

Quote from: Mordecai on August 28, 2017, 10:13:38 PM

No.

Links are perishable and risk the user getting an outdated version of the document since
NHQ doesn't clear the CSS of old docs.

The best course when a member needs something is to go to the CAPMEMBERS site and get view the most current version.

"That Others May Zoom"

SarDragon

Quote from: Eclipse on August 28, 2017, 11:15:45 PM

No.

Links are perishable and risk the user getting an outdated version of the document since

The best course when a member needs something is to go to the CAPMEMBERS site and get view the most current version.

Absolutely. I do download an entire set once a month for my own local use when I might not have 'Net access, but otherwise it's straight to the NHQ  Pubs page.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

indiaXray

Our library is about 95% electronic.  For new members or old ones with a question, I direct them to the CAPMEMBERS site for the latest document.  I regularly prune the links to make sure they are still relevant. 

I also include a link to the Chief of Staff of the Air Force reading list - which is updated annually.

When I say we're 95% electronic, I worked with our Wing PDO to come up with a list of movies that display leadership qualities we wish to enhance/instill, so I have a small number of these movies on DVD that can be signed out to members who do not have/chose not to have access to a streaming service.  We also use excepts from them as talking points in discussions with cadets and seniors.
Squadron Activities Officer
Squadron Professional Development Officer

etodd

The NESA.CAP.GOV website is another example.

If you start in eServices looking for  the AP Task Guide you wind up on this page:

http://nesa.cap.gov/mas-curriculum-2

^^ And the Airborne Photographer Task Guide is listed right there near the top. BUT its the very outdated 2011 version.

You have to dig deep into Google to find the latest 2013 version (which is still outdated, but better than the 2011 version) which is actually on the CAWG website. I haven't found it elsewhere, yet:

https://www.cawgcap.org/members/es-resources/es-resources/aircrew-reference-files/

So ... kudos to CAWG
"Don't try to explain it, just bow your head
Breathe in, breathe out, move on ..."

Holding Pattern

Quote from: etodd on August 30, 2017, 03:05:18 AM
The NESA.CAP.GOV website is another example.

If you start in eServices looking for  the AP Task Guide you wind up on this page:

http://nesa.cap.gov/mas-curriculum-2

^^ And the Airborne Photographer Task Guide is listed right there near the top. BUT its the very outdated 2011 version.

You have to dig deep into Google to find the latest 2013 version (which is still outdated, but better than the 2011 version) which is actually on the CAWG website. I haven't found it elsewhere, yet:

https://www.cawgcap.org/members/es-resources/es-resources/aircrew-reference-files/

So ... kudos to CAWG

The NESA site makes me cry inside, and that page is a perfect example of why. If you scroll further down the page to "Basic School - Mission Scanner/Airborne Photographer" They have the correct links there.

Nick

Quote from: Eclipse on August 28, 2017, 11:15:45 PM

No.

I do believe in maintaining a list of links to the various information sources (e.g., pubs library, Level I info page, etc.) at the authoritative source, but not direct links to specific publications that can be superseded.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Nicholas McLarty, Lt Col, CAP
Texas Wing Staff Guy
National Cadet Team Guy Emeritus