Cadet Officer / NCO / Airman Training Curriculums

Started by Toad1168, July 05, 2017, 04:15:05 PM

Toad1168

I wanted to ask if anyone has curriculums for successful cadet officer / NCO / airman training at the Group or Wing level that they would be willing to share.  Specifically, I am looking for upper level management curriculums for cadet officers, mid level management for NCOs, and new cadet schools to be taught in a weekend time-frame.  I want to avoid re-inventing the wheel.

Thanks in advance
Toad

Adam B

I know that Maine Wing has (or had) a weekend length Airman Academy.
I don't think I have any current contacts in they wing, but that might be worth looking into.

There's also an NCO school that is (was?) a joint operation of Maine/NH/VT. Again I no longer know any of the folks running it, but it might be a good place to start looking.
Adam

jeders

TXWG has held what we call CTEP (Cadet Training and Education Program) for many years. It's a 5 school programs with the upper two schools granting RCLS credit for those who complete them both with an 80 or higher. The schools are Airman Leadership School, NCO Academy, SNCO Academy, Officer Training School, and Cadet Command Staff College. ALS is held at the group level while the other four are held at the wing level concurrently over a weekend twice a year, once in the fall and once in the spring. For more information, see the wing CP website here http://www.texascadet.org/ctep.html and here http://www.texascadet.org/spring-ctep.html. You can contact the TXWG DCP here http://www.texascadet.org/contacts.html.
If you are confident in you abilities and experience, whether someone else is impressed is irrelevant. - Eclipse

Jester

CAWG runs a program that seems well thought out.

I've been thinking a lot lately that you could probably run a good program for C/SrA to C/CMSgt (Goddard) and get all of the NCO and SNCO skills in one curriculum. Then take the C/CMSgts that have the Armstrong through C/Capt or something and do officer stuff.

The military PME model is so segmented and specialized because it takes a troop years to get through the different tiers of the force structure. Cadets can do it in a matter of months. Therefore you might as well at least introduce SNCO stuff to a C/SrA, since he'll be there in a year or less anyway.

I've also observed a consistent difficulty with the transition to officership and the perspective and mindset required to think big picture. They tend to fall back to what they've just spent a couple of years doing and you just end up with a bunch of people doing the senior enlisted jobs while the program as a whole struggles with a lack of direction from cadet leadership.

So if it were up to me, I'd run just two courses with plenty of emphasis on roles and responsibilities of that tier, with lots of practical application.

Just thinking out loud. If it makes sense run with it.

Ned

Quote from: Jester on July 05, 2017, 08:23:53 PM
CAWG runs a program that seems well thought out.

Well, as long as we are talking about CAWG stuff, check out their Integrated Leadership Program (ILP) , which has defined curriculum and program manuals for an Airman Training School (ATS), a Non Commissioned Officer School (NCOS), Senior Non Commissioned Officer School (SNCOS), and a Cadet Officer Basic Course (COBC).  All are designed as weekend-type courses, except for COBC which is a week and carries RCLS credit.

Take a look at the CAWG CP Resources Page for materials and other helpful items.

Eclipse

I don't have an issue with these "schools", per se, the problem is that all of this is supposed to be happening at the
squadron, and the quality of the information and training is 100% dependent on who is running it - yo can break a
cadet pretty easily if you give him bad information early in his career, and absent these being a part of a full program
a lot of times they are run on a whim with little oversight, in a couple of case headed by some of the least informed
adults who would be the last people you'd want training cadets.

I'd be in favor of BCTs and NCO academies that are standardized and required for all cadets withing "x" of joining,
but running them ad hoc seems problematic to me.

If CAWG is presenting curriculum that can be used as the model, then so be it, incorporate it into the normal training
of cadets at the national level.

"That Others May Zoom"

Jester

I reached out to them after I found the ILP online while researching to run our own leadership schools.

I plan on using their stuff as a foundation if I ever get it off the ground. I've just been doing a lot of thinking on CP stuff lately and I'm questioning if there's a better way.

Toad1168

Thank you all for the input.  Proof that good information can be gleaned from forums!
Toad