Vintage Cadet uniforms 1940s,1970s

Started by McDaddy2003, June 10, 2017, 04:58:36 AM

McDaddy2003

My father was a cadet in the early 1970s and these are his uniforms. I had a squadron commander find a cadet officer's coat at an surplus store from the 1940s. We have went ahead and purchased cases for display at our squadron. Not sure what we will do with the old fatigues though.

PHall

What to do with the Fatigues? Simple. Wash, iron and starch them and put them in the display case!

Mitchell 1969

Quote from: McDaddy2003 on June 10, 2017, 04:58:36 AM
My father was a cadet in the early 1970s and these are his uniforms. I had a squadron commander find a cadet officer's coat at an surplus store from the 1940s. We have went ahead and purchased cases for display at our squadron. Not sure what we will do with the old fatigues though.

That cadet officer coat from the 1940's looks iffy to me. Starting with the ribbons which no cadet earned. It looks like a fantasy coat, comprised of probably real components.

Mitchell 1969; Earhart 1971; Eaker 1973. Cadet Flying Encampment, License, 1970. IACE New Zealand 1971; IACE Korea 1973.

CAP has been bery, bery good to me.

MSG Mac

It's a SM Coat. Cadets didn't wear the commissioning stripe and weren't on the anti- sub patrols reflected in the ribbons.
Michael P. McEleney
Lt Col CAP
MSG USA (Retired)
50 Year Member

BillB

The blue service coat is a cadet uniform from the 60's. The OD service coat has ribbons that cadets could not earn plus the prop and wings lapel insignia and braid was for senior officers only.
Gil Robb Wilson # 19
Gil Robb Wilson # 104

SarDragon

But the shoulder patch says CADET. And it looks like cadet rank, and not SM rank. Hence the confusion.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

Mitchell 1969

Quote from: SarDragon on June 11, 2017, 08:05:54 PM
But the shoulder patch says CADET. And it looks like cadet rank, and not SM rank. Hence the confusion.

Hence my "fantasy coat" comment. It looks like somebody put it together from parts not realizing that the parts don't add up. The starting point could have been a senior coat, or even an Army coat with CAP parts added.

Were it mine, I'd go the other way - get rid of the one cadet item.

Mitchell 1969; Earhart 1971; Eaker 1973. Cadet Flying Encampment, License, 1970. IACE New Zealand 1971; IACE Korea 1973.

almostspaatz

Even then, people wore uniforms wrong... >:D
C/Maj Steve Garrett

McDaddy2003

I can remove the cadet insignia and be done.

Mitchell 1969

Quote from: McDaddy2003 on June 12, 2017, 08:08:54 AM
I can remove the cadet insignia and be done.

You'd have to remove all of the cadet insignia - shoulder patch, rank insignia and encampment patch. But that would result in a one but with an incomplete uniform. To complete it you'd need a non-cadet shoulder patch. You might need wings, too, as I believe some of the ribbons reflect aircrew service (I don't have the WWII regs handy, so I don't know if anti-sub, for instance, was awarded to other than flyers).