Main Menu

Acronyms and initialisms

Started by Fernando V, May 13, 2017, 04:47:40 PM

Fernando V

A few months ago I posted a topic asking people what they think of so many acronyms and initialisms used in Civil Air Patrol. Most people posted answers telling me that this is normal in large organizations, especially the military. It's supposed to improve communications. I was told to ask experienced CAP members what they stand for or to simply look for their meaning in CAP regulations. I thank everyone who answered me, but with all due respect, I still can't see good reasons for the excessive use of such abbreviated expressions; and I don't agree that such practice improves communications.

I've worked in large civilian organizations for more than 30 years before joining Civil Air Patrol (civil and public corporations, universities, professional associations...) and I'd never seen that many acronyms and initialisms in any of them. Many experienced CAP members can't tell you for sure what they stand for. And if you use the "search tool" available in capmembers.com you will find many results for each acronym or initialism, but not necessarily what they stand for. The Safety Beacon of May 2017, for instance, is all about NCSA and Encampment Safety. However, the reader is not told what NCSA stands for. He/she is supposed to know it. How could that be seen as an improved communication? It's just a barrier between CAP members and non members; or between CAP experienced members and newbies (even 2 years newbies, like me, lol!)

But to make my criticism a constructive one, I try to set good examples for cadets. In commons situations, when my fellow officers would simply say "CAP", I chose to say "Civil Air Patrol". Doesn't it sound much better and beautiful?

Eclipse

No.  "See-Ay-Pea" is common usage "not "cap" like hat", and to say "Civil Air Patrol" all the time in references is clunky.

This is the culture of the military, law enforcement, the fire and EM services, IT and many other organizations and it's not going to change any time soon.
These organizations need simple terms for complex concepts between people who understand the paradigm.

I suppose you would prefer people ask for your "Transmission Control Protocol/Internet Protocol" address instead of your "IP Address" (etc?).

One Google search for "CAP NCSA" brings you the answer, and for things like this, it's the only "search tool" of any value.

If you think it's exclusive, make sure you help others who are confused, and if you feel it's important,
when you write, make sure to include the definition(s) in the first references as is standard for many publications.

"Embrace and absorb" is easier then trying to push a rock uphill no one is interested in being up there.

"That Others May Zoom"

Eclipse

Last week we had a multi-state CAP-USAF SAR Eval (vs. a GTE), I served as LO in MIWG for ILWG to insure Intel
between PSCs was clear and synched, that the PIOs were working together, and that CF was kept to the minimums allowed.
IAPs were gen'ed on both sides of the water, VHF & HF comms were in full swing, and we had enough COAs that POAs were
not authorized, however COVs were in somewhat short supply so POVs were authorized.

When I got back I had to make sure I submitted my 108s so I got my RON.

Yesterday I FRO'ed a couple of glass FAM sorties, approved NCSA slots for some cadets, and on Monday I hotwashed the Eval with the LRADO, PSC, and OSC.

I have to make sure to contact my CDIs for the CD sessions next week, and because my CDC is OOT, I have to make sure I'm there on time.

Seems clear to me...

"That Others May Zoom"

Spaceman3750

GTEs aren't a thing any more, they're WLEs now [emoji48]

Eclipse

"That Others May Zoom"

Commo

Quote from: Fernando V on May 13, 2017, 04:47:40 PM
... especially the military. It's supposed to improve communications.

I don't know about that.  Use of TLAs and FLAs can make communication more efficient in its brevity, as long as both sides understand them.  (TLA = Three Letter Acronym. FLA = Four)

I was told to ask experienced CAP members what they stand for or to simply look for their meaning in CAP regulations. I thank everyone who answered me...

As a CAP newb, or potential newb anyway, I wouldn't mind a document / cheat sheet spelling them out.  I've had two careers in 20+ years heavy in acronyms (Army and IT), a PPL (private pilot's license) and IFR traning (Instrument Flight Rules) and I understand maaaaybe 15% of the acronyms I see here.  Used properly, acronyms are both expected and efficient.  However, all parties to the conversation need to understand the lingo, or be instructed/trained/directed in it as part of their training or orientation.  When everyone involved knows the acronyms, it's efficient and how the military operates.  When everyone *doesn't* know, then it takes a clique / snobbish tone.  "Oh, you don't know that...  go look it up in the regs".

With the NCSA example, that I could google... but it's the shorter, two-letter CAP acronyms that are harder for me to figure out.  One post I read was on training, and how the PO was slacking off.  What's a PO?  Can't be petty officer, these are AF ranks.

;tldr:  I would appreciate a cheatsheet for CAP/USAF stuff.  Aviation might be useful, too, but I already know to not fly VFR into IMC, even if I have had instruction on NDBs, ILS... and I'll stop now. 

Commo

SarDragon

FWIW, the following abbreviations from prior posts in this topic are acronyms:

CAP-USAF, SAR, FRO, LRADO

All the rest are initialisms, except FAM, which doesn't fit the definition for either acronym or initialism.

An acronym is a pronounceable word made up of the first letters of the word phrase being abbreviated. Laser is a good example. Radar is another. Through usage, they have become all-lower case words.

An initialism doesn't make a word, like NCSA. It's always spelled out. Similarly, TLA and FLA are initialisms, not acronyms.

CAP-USAF, and the olde CAP Flight call sign, are the only proper examples of making CAP a word, instead of spelling it out. It was impressed upon me very early in my cadet career that "See-Ay-Pea" is proper usage, and not "cap" like hat". Certain of our current leaders reinforce this when given the opportunity.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

Holding Pattern

The Safety Beacon of May 2017, for instance, is all about NCSA and Encampment Safety. However, the reader is not told what NCSA stands for. He/she is supposed to know it. How could that be seen as an improved communication? It's just a barrier between CAP members and non members; or between CAP experienced members and newbies (even 2 years newbies, like me, lol!)

When people overuse acronyms in communications, take the opportunity to provide constructive feedback and point them to the Tongue and Quill AFH 33-337, our style guide for effective communications:
http://static.e-publishing.af.mil/production/1/saf_cio_a6/publication/afh33-337/afh33-337.pdf
---
Plain Language Concepts (Adapted from AFI 33-360, Table 6.3)
• Use plain language whenever possible; avoid jargon
• Avoid overuse of acronyms; when used, make certain acronyms are established [written out] upon first use
• Use the active voice
• Format documents so that they are easy to read and understand
• Use tables and figures if that's the best way to show information
---

Eclipse

Quote from: SarDragon on May 17, 2017, 05:04:50 AM

All the rest are initialisms, except FAM, which doesn't fit the definition for either acronym or initialism.

An acronym is a pronounceable word made up of the first letters of the word phrase being abbreviated. Laser is a good example. Radar is another. Through usage, they have become all-lower case words.

An initialism doesn't make a word, like NCSA. It's always spelled out. Similarly, TLA and FLA are initialisms, not acronyms.

CAP-USAF, and the olde CAP Flight call sign, are the only proper examples of making CAP a word, instead of spelling it out. It was impressed upon me very early in my cadet career that "See-Ay-Pea" is proper usage, and not "cap" like hat". Certain of our current leaders reinforce this when given the opportunity.

What if the pronunciation doesn't even match the letters?  Most people say "EN-CASE" for "NCSA", so that's neither a word nor an initialism, but it is a common term.

"That Others May Zoom"

Майор Хаткевич

Quote from: Eclipse on May 17, 2017, 11:51:23 AM

What if the pronunciation doesn't even match the letters?  Most people say "EN-CASE" for "NCSA", so that's neither a word nor an initialism, but it is a common term.

I've never heard "En-case", and if I did, I didn't get it...I always said the letters in NCSA.

Alaric

Quote from: Майор Хаткевич on May 17, 2017, 02:09:42 PM

I've never heard "En-case", and if I did, I didn't get it...I always said the letters in NCSA.

Remember Eclipse is really old, so they probably did a lot of weird things in the old days that we more modern members don't know about
:)

Eclipse

All right, both of you punks OFF MY LAWN!

"That Others May Zoom"

LSThiker

Never heard "EN-CASE" for NCSA.  I have only heard "EN-CASE" for National Conference on Aviation and Space Education (NCASE) in CAP.  If someone referred to NCSAs as "EN-CASE", then they are wrong or confused.

LSThiker

The Safety Beacon of May 2017, for instance, is all about NCSA and Encampment Safety. However, the reader is not told what NCSA stands for. He/she is supposed to know it. How could that be seen as an improved communication? It's just a barrier between CAP members and non members; or between CAP experienced members and newbies (even 2 years newbies, like me, lol!)

A lot of this goes back to context and your audience.  Depending on the audience, you may need or may not need to define the abbreviation or acronym. 

I think we all agree that if our audience is the general public, abbreviations or acronyms such as CAP, NCSA, PIO, and IC, would need to be defined.  If our audience are seasoned members, then not all of those abbreviations or acronyms need to be defined.  At least, I would hope members of CAP understand what CAP means.  There is an expectation of a certain level of understanding. 

Nevertheless, it is always good form to define abbreviations and acronyms the first time it is used in written text, especially reports, unless it is considered basic level understanding.  In a report to an IC, I would not define what CAP, PIO, IC, etc means, especially if there is limited space, as the expectation is that an IC will understand those terms without definition.  In a formal report or AAR (especially if it could become a historical document), I would define CAP, PIO, IC the first time I used it, then simply use the abbreviation even though they are fairly common. 

In my real job, I do not need to define what DNA means as it is considered a basic understanding of science.   However, I need to define what PBMCs mean even though it is a common abbreviation of peripheral blood mononuclear cells.  In the Army, it is expected that I already know what OER and NCOER means.  It would become a pain and a hindrance if someone would need to explain those to me.

In the case of the NCSA in the safety beacon, I would think the first time NCSA is used it should be defined.  That is the subject of the article was about NCSAs and that, even though there is a basic expectation of understanding, that document can still be read by either non-CAP members or inexperienced CAP members.

Eclipse

In all seriousness, these terms and phrases are somewhat an indication of being "in the club" (you can
also use them to spot posers who use insider terms awkwardly or incorrectly).

Every industry, organizaiton, group, and even informal gaggles has / have their own "inside language".

It's only really a problem when it's used to be exclusive (which in CAP many times it is).  If you're
not being a butt crack about it, and using them as a normal course of conversation, to include
cluing new people in, then it's just part of the game.

"That Others May Zoom"

BuckeyeDEJ

FOUO? Sounds like an obscenity in Modified Pig Latin™.

And yes, it's "see-ay-pee." And "encase" for "NCSA" doesn't make a whit of sense, since there's no "ay" at the end and there sure ain't one in the middle. Try "en-see-ess-ay."

CAP since 1984: Lt Col; former C/Lt Col; MO, MRO, MS, IO; former sq CC/CD/PA; group, wing, region PA, natl cmte mbr, nat'l staff member.
REAL LIFE: Working journalist in SPG, DTW (News), SRQ, PIT (Trib), 2D1, WVI, W22; editor, desk chief, designer, photog, columnist, reporter, graphics guy, visual editor, but not all at once. Now a communications manager for an international multisport venue.

Eclipse

This entire thread has lowered the collective IQ of SEE-AY-PEA by about 5 points.

"That Others May Zoom"

Майор Хаткевич

No problem just fill out the Ay Dee Ten Tee form, and we're all set here.

Eclipse

That's Eye Dee Ten Tee...(-1 one more point).

"That Others May Zoom"

Slim

Quote from: Eclipse on May 18, 2017, 04:25:23 AM
That's Eye Dee Ten Tee...(-1 one more point).

When you're done with that, head over to the DFAC for an OU-812......and then head over to the AGE shop for a gallon of prop wash.

Slim