Main Menu

Civil Air Patrol Instagram?

Started by jfkspotting, April 25, 2017, 02:01:07 AM

jfkspotting

I am not on Cadet advisory council or color-guard: I am simply a C/TSGT on staff that was thinking of making a squadron instagram since our squadron doesn't currently have one...

1) Can I simply just make one and get the squadron to join?
2) Who should I run the idea by if I were to ask permission?
3) How many cadets can run it?
4) Do I have to ask permission?

LATORRECA

Get with your Squadron chain of command. CAP do have social media rules.

Sent from my HTC Desire 530 using Tapatalk

A.Member

How many threads do you need on this topic? 

You've started one in nearly every forum.  Knock it off!
"For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards, for there you have been and there you will long to return."

Eclipse

Quote from: LATORRECA on April 25, 2017, 02:05:32 AM
Get with your Squadron chain of command. CAP do have social media rules.

So does Captalk - one thread, one board, not all of them.

Any internet presence requires approval through eServices.

"That Others May Zoom"

SarDragon

Duplicate topics locked. PM sent.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

Cadetter

Check who your unit IT officer is (if you don't have one, it's probably the squadron commander or deputy commander for cadets). Run the idea by them, using the proper chain of command procedures. You can find out if anyone is assigned as IT officer in eServices by looking at (new eServices - Reports - Duty Positions in My Unit).

Also in eServices, you can find CAPR 110-1. Look under "Information Technology." It's a short reg, so I recommend reading it before contacting your IT officer.
Wright Brothers Award, 2013
Billy Mitchell Award, 2016
Earhart Award, 2018

etodd

Quote from: maddoggy on April 25, 2017, 02:01:07 AM
I am not on Cadet advisory council or color-guard: I am simply a C/TSGT on staff that was thinking of making a squadron instagram since our squadron doesn't currently have one...

1) Can I simply just make one and get the squadron to join?
2) Who should I run the idea by if I were to ask permission?
3) How many cadets can run it?
4) Do I have to ask permission?

Whats the purpose? Are most of the Cadets already on Instagram? If so, are they all following each other? If so, then everyone is probably already sharing fun photos of events with each other.

For marketing the Squadron to possible recruits, currently the website and Facebook page are easier to 'push' to outside prospects. I would just continue to use Instagram and Snapchat for fun, as it probably is already.
"Don't try to explain it, just bow your head
Breathe in, breathe out, move on ..."

Shutterbug

Check out CAPP 152: https://www.capmembers.com/media/cms/SocialMediaGuidelines_CAE169A56801E.pdf

It's the CAP Social Media Guide, and is a nice read for anyone remotely involved with our web presence.

etodd

Quote from: Shutterbug on April 25, 2017, 04:51:38 AM
Check out CAPP 152: https://www.capmembers.com/media/cms/SocialMediaGuidelines_CAE169A56801E.pdf

It's the CAP Social Media Guide, and is a nice read for anyone remotely involved with our web presence.

Good info there for 'official' websites and social media pages, etc.

But always remember .... on the marketing side, sometimes the best reach is the Cadet's themselves. If you have 20 Cadets, and each one of them has 300 FB, Insta, and Snapchat friends (mostly unique) ... that is a HUGE outreach of 6000 people who the vast majority will be same age. Its hard to target a boosted FB post that precisely.

On O'Ride days, these Cadets are, of course, all taking cell phone photos of themselves in the planes and tagging each other. Best free marketing ever. Those pics go viral in the local community quickly.

Grass roots guerrilla marketing ... hard to beat .. and its FREE!   ;D

"Don't try to explain it, just bow your head
Breathe in, breathe out, move on ..."