2017 Conference Registration

Started by MSG Mac, April 21, 2017, 06:16:28 AM

MSG Mac

Registration site has opened for the 2017 National Conference.

Cost $175 (includes banquet
        $190 for all events
        $105 for Conference only

Room reservations $132/night + Tax of 22.11/night.
Michael P. McEleney
Lt Col CAP
MSG USA (Retired)
50 Year Member

Fubar

$ 190.00 - Event
$ 462.33 - Hotel
$ 380.00 - Airfare
$ 100.00 - Meals & Etc

$1,132.33 to attend a three day CAP conference? Too rich for my blood, especially with nothing about what will be happening at the conference being published.

It's hard to create value for these conferences. Anything being announced at the conference gets posted online. Training made available at the conference is also available at the region and wing levels. Obviously it's great to make new friends and meet old pals. For some, hearing something before the rest of the membership or shaking hands with important people holds value to them. It just seems to the majority of the membership, giving up vacation days or simply going unpaid is too much to ask for what the member gets in return for attending the conference.

Being in Texas will help. It's a large wing with plenty of locals who can easily attend. I just wonder how much longer non-profits can afford to host these big national conventions.

FW

Quote from: Fubar on April 21, 2017, 07:28:22 AM
... I just wonder how much longer non-profits can afford to host these big national conventions.

As long as sponsors can be found to pay for the bulk of the event, the longer they will be held.  The Annual Conference used to be a place where new policy could be made.  Today, it is used as, basically, a National Commander's call.  It's also an event where "best practices" can be discussed by participants.  Of course, this could be done online today at a fraction of the cost and time.  I agree time spent at a region or wing conference may be just as rewarding. 

LATORRECA

Wow to expensive

Sent from my HTC Desire 530 using Tapatalk

Fubar

Quote from: FW on April 21, 2017, 12:46:26 PMAs long as sponsors can be found to pay for the bulk of the event, the longer they will be held.

That's a really good point. And attendance isn't a factor for the sponsors who are also vendors we buy lots of expensive toys from.

dogden

I will be there but it is only a 3 hour drive from my house.  ;)
David C Ogden, Lt Col, CAP
Texas Wing, Group IV Commander
GRW#3325

Alaric

Quote from: Fubar on April 21, 2017, 07:28:22 AM
$ 190.00 - Event
$ 462.33 - Hotel
$ 380.00 - Airfare
$ 100.00 - Meals & Etc

$1,132.33 to attend a three day CAP conference? Too rich for my blood, especially with nothing about what will be happening at the conference being published.

It's hard to create value for these conferences. Anything being announced at the conference gets posted online. Training made available at the conference is also available at the region and wing levels. Obviously it's great to make new friends and meet old pals. For some, hearing something before the rest of the membership or shaking hands with important people holds value to them. It just seems to the majority of the membership, giving up vacation days or simply going unpaid is too much to ask for what the member gets in return for attending the conference.

Being in Texas will help. It's a large wing with plenty of locals who can easily attend. I just wonder how much longer non-profits can afford to host these big national conventions.

As long as the people that are required to go (Nat CC, Region CCs Wing CCs) are not reaching into their own pockets to pay for it, they will continue to have it and continue to perpetrate the myth that it is an opportunity for the rank and file members to get training and network.  If I were king for a day there would be no reimbursed travel for conferences, Fortune 500 companies have been using telecons and webinars for years, lets try to be good stewards of taxpayer money eh. 

kwe1009

I have only been to 1 national conference and it was frankly a complete waste.  Most of the seminars that I sat in on quickly turned into gripe sessions with the NHQ people that were running the seminar.  Here is how most of it went:

CAP Member: "Why are we doing X when Y would be cheaper, easier, and would probably generate outside interest?"
NHQ staffer: "We spent a lot of time researching X and are committed to it.  It is a great plan."
CAP Member: "What about Y?"
NHQ staffer: "We didn't consider that because reasons."

rinse and repeat

I haven't seen Wing or Region conferences be much better, especially when you factor in the cost.  Technology has overcome the conference model and we all just need to embrace it.  A conference can easily be replace with WebEx or similar technology for a lot less money.  I'm still not sure why we are not doing RSC and NSC as web conferences either.

etodd

I do not go to my Wing Conferences for all the reasons above. The last one here had a few 45 minute breakout sessions, with all of the info presented stuff that can be found online easily.

Bottom line .... so many folks enjoy that Saturday night rubber chicken dinner and ESPECIALLY the 500 certificates given out with the obligatory photo op. For some it may be the only time each year they wear the full dress blues and get to hang all 30 of their medals for others to see while receiving their certificate.  I get it. Its important for some folks. But its not me.
"Don't try to explain it, just bow your head
Breathe in, breathe out, move on ..."

almostspaatz

Quote from: kwe1009 on April 26, 2017, 08:26:45 PM
I have only been to 1 national conference and it was frankly a complete waste.  Most of the seminars that I sat in on quickly turned into gripe sessions with the NHQ people that were running the seminar.  Here is how most of it went:

CAP Member: "Why are we doing X when Y would be cheaper, easier, and would probably generate outside interest?"
NHQ staffer: "We spent a lot of time researching X and are committed to it.  It is a great plan."
CAP Member: "What about Y?"
NHQ staffer: "We didn't consider that because reasons."

rinse and repeat

I haven't seen Wing or Region conferences be much better, especially when you factor in the cost.  Technology has overcome the conference model and we all just need to embrace it.  A conference can easily be replace with WebEx or similar technology for a lot less money.  I'm still not sure why we are not doing RSC and NSC as web conferences either.

I see your point, and I expect there will be much more technology utilized in the future. CAP has been behind on technology and is still trying to catch up, technology is moving faster than everyone, corporations, the military, and our culture. In OHWG at least, I see the OHWG conference as much as a learning opportunity as a social event. I enjoy getting to see familiar faces that are usually far away.

Conferences, meetings, seminars, and classes will not be fully online in the near future. This is for the same reason that of my courses only one or two are online. It isn't practical for discussion based learning and many students and instructors find better results through the personal interaction. I am one of those people who can learn either way. If I consider even one of the most academic NCSAs conducted entirely online, the benefits would not be nearly as great as the experience myself and my flight mates received.

Conferences and activities will continue to happen until people decide not to go, I have never gone to the national conference because I haven't been able to afford it. Just because it doesn't merit my money doesn't mean it isn't worth it to other people.
C/Maj Steve Garrett

etodd

Quote from: almostspaatz on April 27, 2017, 01:56:39 AM

It isn't practical for discussion based learning and many students and instructors find better results through the personal interaction. I am one of those people who can learn either way. If I consider even one of the most academic NCSAs conducted entirely online, the benefits would not be nearly as great as the experience myself and my flight mates received.

Yes. Especially when lots of info needs to be covered and its important everyone 'gets it'.  Like the two day G1000 course we have at least once a year in our Wing. Sure, we can read all the info in a book or online, but many things like this need good question and answer periods to get the info understood.  These types of seminars that have time to dig deep into a subject I enjoy. I'll leave the formal award ceremony nights to others.
"Don't try to explain it, just bow your head
Breathe in, breathe out, move on ..."

PHall

Quote from: etodd on April 27, 2017, 01:51:04 AM
I do not go to my Wing Conferences for all the reasons above. The last one here had a few 45 minute breakout sessions, with all of the info presented stuff that can be found online easily.

Bottom line .... so many folks enjoy that Saturday night rubber chicken dinner and ESPECIALLY the 500 certificates given out with the obligatory photo op. For some it may be the only time each year they wear the full dress blues and get to hang all 30 of their medals for others to see while receiving their certificate.  I get it. Its important for some folks. But its not me.

You go to stuff like Wing and Region Conferences to Network. Everything else is extra.

JacobAnn

I have only been to two National Conferences but many Wing Conferences.  I have to say I truly enjoy them.  I always feel I learn as much from my fellow attendees as I do from any formal presentations.  I'll keep going whenever possible.

FW

Quote from: Alaric on April 26, 2017, 07:24:52 PM

As long as the people that are required to go (Nat CC, Region CCs Wing CCs) are not reaching into their own pockets to pay for it, they will continue to have it and continue to perpetrate the myth that it is an opportunity for the rank and file members to get training and network.  If I were king for a day there would be no reimbursed travel for conferences, Fortune 500 companies have been using telecons and webinars for years, lets try to be good stewards of taxpayer money eh.

No taxpayer dollars are harmed when the required attendees go to conferences!  It's the members' cash....  Yes, you and I pay for our esteemed leaders travel and boarding expenses during these events.  Even the employees salaries are paid by the membership when working on the weekend....

THRAWN

Quote from: PHall on April 27, 2017, 05:25:42 AM
Quote from: etodd on April 27, 2017, 01:51:04 AM

You go to stuff like Wing and Region Conferences to Network. Everything else is extra.

Maybe. But after you've been to a couple, and keep seeing the same players, you begin to wonder about the value. There should be some legitimate training or education, something that will make attendance worthwhile. PD can be done at a conference. Communications training can be done at a conference. Training for your FM/SE/LMNOP can be done at a conference. Or CAP can continue with the same old.
Strup-"Belligerent....at times...."
AFRCC SMC 10-97
NSS ISC 05-00
USAF SOS 2000
USAF ACSC 2011
US NWC 2016
USMC CSCDEP 2023

Alaric

Quote from: FW on April 27, 2017, 12:18:13 PM

No taxpayer dollars are harmed when the required attendees go to conferences!  It's the members' cash....  Yes, you and I pay for our esteemed leaders travel and boarding expenses during these events.  Even the employees salaries are paid by the membership when working on the weekend....

a) I'm a taxpayer so they are taxpayer dollars; b) Then lets be more responsible with the membership's money shall we?  I don't know about you but I'd rather see my money going to programmatic items, not so command can have a nice boondoggle at my expense

Майор Хаткевич

Quote from: Alaric on April 27, 2017, 01:22:49 PM
Quote from: FW on April 27, 2017, 12:18:13 PM

a) I'm a taxpayer so they are taxpayer dollars; b) Then lets be more responsible with the membership's money shall we?  I don't know about you but I'd rather see my money going to programmatic items, not so command can have a nice boondoggle at my expense

Seriously, add up all the wing/region commanders plus national staff. What are we talking about? At least $100K?

We've got 23927 cadets ($36 membership) = $861,372
We've got 32865 SMs ($65 membership) = $2,136,225

So we've got just shy of 3 million in dues, less actually since Patrons are partof that SM number).

$100K is a lot of cash.

NIN

Tax dollars = appropriated funds.
Membership dues = non-appropriated funds

NHQ's budget is, ballpark, $2.5M
Darin Ninness, Col, CAP
I have no responsibilities whatsoever
I like to have Difficult Adult Conversations™
The contents of this post are Copyright © 2007-2024 by NIN. All rights are reserved. Specific permission is given to quote this post here on CAP-Talk only.

Eclipse

The latter, dues, are felt even more directly by the membership then the tax dollars,
and should be guarded even more closely.

The RRO's job wouldn't get any easier if the idea that some 2000 members' annual payment was
going to expenses for a conference they can't even attend themselves were more generally publicized.

"That Others May Zoom"

Alaric

Quote from: NIN on April 27, 2017, 03:26:11 PM

Tax dollars = appropriated funds.
Membership dues = non-appropriated funds

NHQ's budget is, ballpark, $2.5M

Nice response to a) but what about b?  If you want to pay for others to go to a conference then spend your money how you please, its not what I believe the members money should be going for. 

If CAP is going to use member dues money for these conferences than I believe:

1)  That it should be widely advertised that that is what the leadership thinks is a good use of membership money
2)  That National Conferences be held once every 2 years
3)  That the farce that these are training opportunities for the rank and file member (who do not have their conferences paid for) end.