Main Menu

COS welcome letter

Started by Cadetter, March 15, 2017, 06:03:11 PM

Cadetter

I was slotted for COS but haven't received a welcome letter yet, and the site also doesn't seem to be updated yet http://www.ncsas.com/cos/. I'm not booking the flight until late April anyway, but should I be concerned? (I'm worried that me being a primary in eServices may be a fluke, haha.)

Also, any tips for a not-so-polished 2dLt attending COS? I have a couple months of free time beforehand, so I plan to do most, if not all, of the reading prior to attending, and I'll also be practicing writing.

Thanks!
Cadetter
Wright Brothers Award, 2013
Billy Mitchell Award, 2016
Earhart Award, 2018

Ned

Thanks for pointing this out. 

You are certainly correct that we are overdue on updating the website, for which I apologize.  I have directed some emphasis to the volunteer staff to ensure that it is done promptly.
In the meantime, you can send questions to cadetofficerschool@gmail.com.  Let me know if you do not get a prompt reply.

And as a long-time COS faculty member, I certainly endorse getting as much of the reading done ahead of time.  One of the most common remarks from COS students is the difficulty in managing their time at COS given the workload and other requirements. 

I look forward to meeting you at COS!

Ned Lee
Col, CAP
National Cadet Program Manager
(Graduate, COS '74)

PHall

Quote from: Cadetter on March 15, 2017, 06:03:11 PM
I was slotted for COS but haven't received a welcome letter yet, and the site also doesn't seem to be updated yet http://www.ncsas.com/cos/. I'm not booking the flight until late April anyway, but should I be concerned? (I'm worried that me being a primary in eServices may be a fluke, haha.)

Also, any tips for a not-so-polished 2dLt attending COS? I have a couple months of free time beforehand, so I plan to do most, if not all, of the reading prior to attending, and I'll also be practicing writing.

Thanks!
Cadetter

Do all of the readings prior to arrival. You'll thank yourself later.

almostspaatz

Quote from: PHall on March 16, 2017, 12:16:45 AM

No one ever does that... ;)
C/Maj Steve Garrett

PHall

Quote from: almostspaatz on March 16, 2017, 02:38:45 AM

Which is why you're sleep deprived by the end of the week... >:D

MSG Mac

Get used to doing the reading prior to arrival. It comes in handy when/if you get to college and the professor starts the class with questions on the readings.
Michael P. McEleney
Lt Col CAP
MSG USA (Retired)
50 Year Member

Cadetter

Quote from: MSG Mac on March 18, 2017, 08:20:27 AM

Get used to doing the reading prior to arrival. It comes in handy when/if you get to college and the professor starts the class with questions on the readings.

Or better yet, starts the class with a graded quiz on the readings. That's always fun  >:D

Regardless of whether the speakers/professors start with questions on the readings, it's usually easier for me to follow along when I've done the readings. Otherwise I feel quite lost in lectures (more so in seminars), although I'm not much of an auditory learner either way. And I really like sleep, so my plan remains to complete the readings prior to arrival.
Earhart Award, 2018

HGjunkie

Read all 500-ish pages in the reader? Ha!

Lightly skim and pick up concepts and definitions? Much better.
••• retired
2d Lt USAF

Cadetter

Many readings seem to be downloadable, so download, read as PDF, and markup with notes... so far that's suited me in classes. I tend not to retain what I've skimmed. I envy the lucky ones who can :D
Earhart Award, 2018

TheSkyHornet

#Cadet

almostspaatz

Quote from: TheSkyHornet on March 22, 2017, 12:02:13 AM

#Cadet

Based on the #Cadets I interacted with that did not complete the readings or entrance essay prior to arrival (some did not even know they had assignments due before the event started).

I did my assignments, got a silver coin out of it.
C/Maj Steve Garrett

Cadetter

Is it even possible to pass without doing the assignments? From skimming last year's handbook it doesn't suggest that, but what do I know.
Earhart Award, 2018

almostspaatz

Quote from: Cadetter on March 22, 2017, 02:14:53 AM
Is it even possible to pass without doing the assignments? From skimming last year's handbook it doesn't suggest that, but what do I know.

No. You will not graduate if you do not complete the assignments.
C/Maj Steve Garrett

Cadetter

That's what I thought. I'm worried about the assignments because of my lacking speaking and writing abilities :'(, not because of procrastination... Ah well, this year's handbook won't be up until May 30th, but there's always last year's that I can start off with.
Earhart Award, 2018

CAPDCCMOM

Cadetter, have your CDC or CC get in touch with the Encampment Commander if you need any special academic accommodations.  There are plenty of people, Cadets and Senior Officers, there to help you. Or even let me know if I can help.

SarDragon

Quote from: Cadetter on March 22, 2017, 02:27:46 AM
That's what I thought. I'm worried about the assignments because of my lacking speaking and writing abilities :'( , not because of procrastination... Ah well, this year's handbook won't be up until May 30th, but there's always last year's that I can start off with.

The best way to get better at speaking and writing, is to speak and write. Work with your cadet leadership to present a lesson at a weekly meeting. At first, work with a lesson guide that someone else has written, get familiar with the material, and give the lesson. Check out the AF Instructor's Guide for a lot of how-to-do-it stuff.

Then pick out a narrow topic for AE or Leadership, and write a lesson, and present it.

[ed] I just checked and the AF Instructor Guide has been rescinded, for some reason, but it's still available at the link above, though.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

Jester

It's only a lot of reading if you do it.

Sincerely,

a guy with an average GPA.

Eclipse

There is also a CAP instructor course available on the LMS, and required to serve as staff in many cases, however I
don't know if it is open to cadets.

"That Others May Zoom"

SarDragon

Quote from: Eclipse on March 22, 2017, 05:23:06 PM
There is also a CAP instructor course available on the LMS, and required to serve as staff in many cases, however I

Unless it has changed significantly since I took it a while back, that instructor course is a bad joke. The Navy spent an entire month training me to be an instructor, and that was just a starting point. Taking an online course that short  (An hour or so? Maybe two hours?) doesn't provide much more training that that needed to stand at the front of the room and say hello without looking stupid.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

TheSkyHornet

Quote from: almostspaatz on March 22, 2017, 02:13:29 AM
Quote from: TheSkyHornet on March 22, 2017, 12:02:13 AM

#Cadet

Based on the #Cadets I interacted with that did not complete the readings or entrance essay prior to arrival (some did not even know they had assignments due before the event started).

I did my assignments, got a silver coin out of it.

This also adds to why you worked your way up to Cadet Major. Notice I used the term "worked." It's a step above "earned" because it didn't just come from a good deed, but took the physical and intellectual effort to get there, and nobody is able to do that for you.

People who cut corners will find it only works for so long before they hit a moment that requires actual skill and knowledge.

Quote from: SarDragon on March 22, 2017, 06:11:15 PM
Quote from: Eclipse on March 22, 2017, 05:23:06 PM

Unless it has changed significantly since I took it a while back, that instructor course is a bad joke. The Navy spent an entire month training me to be an instructor, and that was just a starting point. Taking an online course that short  (An hour or so? Maybe two hours?) doesn't provide much more training that that needed to stand at the front of the room and say hello without looking stupid.

Most online courses are that way if all you do is read over the material and take the online test. That only teaches you content, not execution.