Webmaster, FacebookMaster, Forum?

Started by duncan, March 13, 2017, 07:30:51 PM

Eclipse

^ You're dragging in all sorts of "not a website / not IT's problem" into your discussion of your website, and to some extent comparing a Wing's
needs to a units which are decidedly different.  Radio nets, AFRCC alerting, Armageddon backup scenarios, don't have much of anything to do with the
website, which won't be accessible, if the tubes are plugged.

What you currently have in regards to "steak" is a complete recently killed carcass thrown on the fire.  The "sizzle" you think
you hear is the unexploded ordance cooking off from the chain gun used to "slaughter" it.

If you think it fits your needs, then good on 'ye, but I'm telling you as someone who looked at it cold, between the color choices and
the densely packed, oddly formatted text, I couldn't make heads or tails of it.

You may well have outstanding email lists, a world-class alerting system, and the back-end of a system that fits your
needs, but the UI on the website is dated and difficult to use at best.

"That Others May Zoom"

etodd

Quote from: Eclipse on March 15, 2017, 10:57:41 PM
^ You're dragging in all sorts of "not a website / not IT's problem" into your discussion of your website, and to some extent comparing a Wing's
needs to a units which are decidedly different.

What you currently have in regards to "steak" is a complete recently killed carcass thrown on the fire.  If you think it fits your
needs, then good on 'ye, but I'm telling you as someone who looked at it cold, between the odd color choices and
the densely packed, oddly formatted text, I couldn't make heads or tails of it.

You may well have outstanding email lists, a world-class alerting system, and the back-end of a system that fits your
needs, but the UI on the website is dated and difficult to use at best.

Duncan came here saying he wanted to "exchange ideas and examples" ... but me thinks he just wanted to show off his, and have others beg for his code. (Maybe he wants to sell it?) ^^^ But what he wound up here getting were critiques. 

But seriously Duncan .... create one of your mailing lists for all the "Wing Webmasters".   I bet there isn't more than a handful of them on Captalk. Create a mailing list or other forum that ALL the Wing Webmasters can be notified , join and start exchanging ideas.

Better yet ... since your system is 'the best' , why not approach the folks at Hdqrs and see if they want to roll it out for all the Wings?

"Don't try to explain it, just bow your head
Breathe in, breathe out, move on ..."

A.Member

Quote from: duncan on March 15, 2017, 10:45:17 PM
In our system, for mission alerts, the AFRCC, Sheriff Department, or Alert Officer simply logs into a secure and non-disclosed website, then adds simple text message which is sent to several Alert Officers via a e-list and pagers. These recipients then decide which resource(s) and group(s) need to be notified, and distribute the info via other controlled e-lists. We have multi-level backup plans in case the servers are down, or telephones, and/or CAP radio net. All this automation is well documented and securely saved on website via login passwords and roles.
Where does one find pagers in this day and age?!  :D LOL   Consider adding text notifications and social media apps to bring the system into this millennium.  I'm sure most Wings have call down lists as back up, if not primary, as well.

Not to hog pile but I'm curious about your intake process for requests for assistance.  Each Wing/State has it's own system.  For example, in my state we are not the first point of contact; all requests for assistance must go through the State Duty Officer.  The Duty Officer in turn contacts the NOC, who in turn contacts us.   With your system, you seem to have bypassed the NOC entirely and are taking requests directly...is that really the process?  Your Wing received approval on this approach?  I'd be interested in hearing more about that. 

One more thing, for all the emphasis on secure and controlled information, you have a lot of PII/PERSEC info published. I would not publicly list personal phone numbers or any numbers other than a Wing HQ contact info, which is presumably a business office phone.  Using a single form to a single contact mailbox is good approach for a public facing site (rules on the mailbox can route messages as needed).   But the rest of the info should be on a secured intranet or eServices.  It also makes for a lot of maintenance updating all the names and duty positions found throughout the site.  Why list all that info publicly?  What is the objective of the CO Wing site; who is the target audience?  Do you have a members only intranet?

All that said, while I have to agree that your website needs a lot of aesthetic help and some of the functionality is redundant to that of eServices, I very much applaud your efforts to automate and improve your notifications/call down lists.

Check out this past thread for another approach that was put together by JeffDG from Tennessee Wing using Google Apps:
http://captalk.net/index.php?topic=18966.0
"For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards, for there you have been and there you will long to return."

sardak

QuoteWhere does one find pagers in this day and age?!
I was told that only doctors and drug dealers still carry pagers. In some cases is there a difference?

Mike

A.Member

Quote from: sardak on March 16, 2017, 02:34:37 AM
QuoteWhere does one find pagers in this day and age?!
I was told that only doctors and drug dealers still carry pagers. In some cases is there a difference?

Mike
Mike, that was 1996. :D
"For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards, for there you have been and there you will long to return."

sardak

Майор Хаткевич

Quote from: sardak on March 16, 2017, 02:43:23 AM
^Nice. :clap:
Mike

I purchased a pager at age 13 in 2003. One year's service was about $100 with the pager included.

My parents would text the number with a preset list of codes to communicate.

After a year, I got my first flip phone.

etodd

I had one of those 'ball & chains' back in the '70s. Before caller-id, so you didn't know who was beeping you but assumed it was the company. So you had to look for a pay phone while driving around.

duncan

Some good responses - thank you!

Pagers - In addition to cell phones, some Alert Staff have pagers simply due to the Rockies. There are many places where is zero cell phone coverage, but the pager towers will get through. The downside is that there is no "retry until received" on pager technology, unlike text messaging.

Published Email or Phone Numbers/PII - There are only a few of these shown in public areas, and these were specifically requested by that person. Per CAPR, individuals are allowed to over-ride PII guidelines if required for their duties. However you will also note that no e-mail address are ever given out, and all public e-mail hyperlinks do not contain the e-mail address, thus are spider-proof. All email contact is via forms where the recipient address is hidden. That's my goal, and I offer that it should be similarly implemented on all other web pages. Please let me know if somebody spots a suspiciously open phone or email address on COWG.CAP.GOV.

Google Apps Webinar - good info. I will need to see that happened to this idea from three years ago. Anybody here using it now?

Wing Webmaster Mailing List - Another good idea. I have previously asked for this at HQ level, but it was unobtainium. So I am trying here. FYI the COWG website already has automatic updated list of all Wing/Squadron website authors. I want squadron webmaster input too. We have several squadrons doing much more than simple marketing/recruiting with their website.

Target Audience - Paraphrased from CAPR, our mission (as webmasters) is to "develop and implement policies and procedures in support of CAP's missions." Examples: If Comm needs a centralized and secure web place to store Call Signs, then that is part of our job. If a CC needs an org chart - that is also our job. Coordinate Orientation rides? - yes. Broadcast an email about upcoming SLS classes? - yes. So our target audience is us - any officer with a task that can be done more easily via Wing or Squadron website technology. 

Advice - I am truly here to ask "what are others doing?" This overall knowledge is also unobtainium. This should be driven from the HQ level, seeking improvements and sharing. Certainly not me. I am but a lowly webmaster, and I do fully listen to all criticisms.
Capt. Rob Duncan
IT Director, COWG
CFI-ASMEL-IA, A&P

stillamarine

Quote from: Майор Хаткевич on March 16, 2017, 03:06:06 PM
Quote from: sardak on March 16, 2017, 02:43:23 AM
^Nice. :clap:
Mike

I purchased a pager at age 13 in 2003. One year's service was about $100 with the pager included.

My parents would text the number with a preset list of codes to communicate.

After a year, I got my first flip phone.

13 in 2003????
Tim Gardiner, 1st LT, CAP

USMC AD 1996-2001
USMCR    2001-2005  Admiral, Great State of Nebraska Navy  MS, MO, UDF
tim.gardiner@gmail.com

Eclipse

"That Others May Zoom"

Chappie

Quote from: Ozzy on March 14, 2017, 02:43:30 AM
Quote from: etodd on March 14, 2017, 12:40:15 AM
Are you using the new template for your Squadron's local website? I took the Wordpress template and modified it a bit to create ours. Added the Facebook block into the homepage:

http://www.tuscaloosacap.org

It looks good. We've been redesigning our website and it looks pretty good now: www.nassaucapli.com

What do you think?

Looks good....recently the CAP Chaplain Corps redesigned our website (it has a link on the National website...but is not part of NHQ's control per se):  https://capchaplain.com/    It was redesigned by one of our own members.
Disclaimer:  Not to be confused with the other user that goes by "Chappy"   :)

ourpobox

Quote from: duncan on March 18, 2017, 12:09:20 AM

Google Apps Webinar - good info. I will need to see that happened to this idea from three years ago. Anybody here using it now?

Advice - I am truly here to ask "what are others doing?" This overall knowledge is also unobtainium. This should be driven from the HQ level, seeking improvements and sharing. Certainly not me. I am but a lowly webmaster, and I do fully listen to all criticisms.

VAWG is using Google Apps for MOST things presently, but only transitioning the website (due to manpower/time issues) to Google Sites now.  Website transition is still a work in progress.

On a related topic, I disagree that squadron sites should be EXCLUSIVELY for recruiting.  My unit site provides entry-level direction for SAR quals, Professional Development info...etc...that is of interest to members.  I don't know how many of my people read stuff on our site, but I get high praise from other squadron commanders who use the tools to help their people get training!  :-)
------------------------------------------------
Capt Greg Fletcher, CAP
Fredericksburg Composite Squadron - MAR-VA-108
http://fredericksburgcap.com
Director Public Affairs, Virginia Wing
http://vawg.cap.gov

etodd

Quote from: ourpobox on April 05, 2017, 12:55:10 PM

My unit site provides entry-level direction for SAR quals, Professional Development info...etc...that is of interest to members.  I don't know how many of my people read stuff on our site, but I get high praise from other squadron commanders who use the tools to help their people get training!  :-)

My view is that each squadron should not have to be re-inventing the wheel on those.  That should all be in eServices, Ops Quals or any of the other myriad of websites a newbie has to learn.  :o

Eclipse

+1 - when you duplicate resources that already exist at NHQ, you run the risk of regularly being out of date, which is a
HHUUGGEE problem with CAP websites, including NHQ.

"That Others May Zoom"

Paul Creed III

Quote from: ourpobox on April 05, 2017, 12:55:10 PM
Quote from: duncan on March 18, 2017, 12:09:20 AM

VAWG is using Google Apps for MOST things presently, but only transitioning the website (due to manpower/time issues) to Google Sites now.  Website transition is still a work in progress.

You may want to enter a hold on the move to Google Sites. It is my understanding that the WordPress platform will become the de facto platform for all CAP websites in the field. All websites in GLR are moving there now. You may want to have your Wing Director of PA check with Maj Bowden at NHQ.
Lt Col Paul Creed III, CAP
Group 3 Ohio Wing sUAS Program Manager

Eclipse

"That Others May Zoom"

Paul Creed III

Quote from: Eclipse on April 06, 2017, 12:37:38 PM
Quote from: Paul Creed III on April 06, 2017, 11:57:15 AMAll websites in GLR are moving there now.

All? Cite please.

Direct conversations I have had with Maj Bowden.

Eclipse

Quote from: Paul Creed III on April 06, 2017, 12:55:21 PM
Quote from: Paul Creed III on April 06, 2017, 11:57:15 AMAll websites in GLR are moving there now.

All? Cite please.

Maj Bowden may be sharing a plan or idea with you, but nothing has been communicated to the field in this regard.

As of today "all" websites in GLR are not "moving to Wordpress".

Assuming this is someone's good idea, I would be very curious, for example, who will pay for it, among other non-trivial
issues with such a notion.

"That Others May Zoom"

Paul Creed III

Quote from: Eclipse on April 06, 2017, 01:59:28 PM
Quote from: Paul Creed III on April 06, 2017, 12:55:21 PM

All? Cite please.

Maj Bowden may be sharing a plan or idea with you, but nothing has been communicated to the field in this regard.

As of today "all" websites in GLR are not "moving to Wordpress".

Assuming this is someone's good idea, I would be very curious, for example, who will pay for it, among other non-trivial
issues with such a notion.

Actually, it has been communicated to the field, at least within my AOR anyway, through the chain, that this is coming.

As for payment, the hosting is being provided to CAP at no cost.