Clasp on Achievement Ribbon

Started by AppelC17, March 01, 2017, 08:12:09 AM

AppelC17

In regards to the Achievement Ribbon, if the ribbon has been earned on more than one occasion is a bronze clasp permitted to be worn. I read through the 39-3 and was unable to determine it on my own.

Thank you in advance.

Eclipse

Yes. Same as any other multiple.

"That Others May Zoom"

Abby.L

Quote from: Eclipse on March 01, 2017, 12:27:21 PM
Yes. Same as any other multiple.

To be fair, I was looking at 39-3 for this same thing the other day.... And it doesn't actually specify star, prop, or anything like that(At least not that I've found).

It was actually scary how vague it was.  :o
Capt Abby R. Lockling
SSgt(Sep) USAF, 41ECS
Charlie flight, NBB 2013

Eclipse

CAPR 39-3 Page 4
https://www.capmembers.com/media/cms/R039_003_83459660D4F44.pdf
"b. Subsequent awards of the same decoration or ribbon are denoted by the CAP bronze
triangular clasp, worn on the ribbon of the original award.
A CAP silver triangular clasp is
equivalent to, and is worn in the place of, five bronze claps. Silver clasps are placed to the wearer's
right side of a bronze clasp. A maximum of four devices may be worn on any ribbon, unless
otherwise stated in this regulation. When the number of devices exceeds the authorized maximum, a
second ribbon is worn to the wearer's left of the initial ribbon. The second ribbon counts as one
subsequent award. When future awards reduce the devices to a single ribbon the second ribbon will
be removed. Devices are illustrated in Attachment 3."

"That Others May Zoom"

Abby.L

Quote from: Eclipse on March 01, 2017, 10:17:22 PM
CAPR 39-3 Page 4
"b. Subsequent awards of the same decoration or ribbon are denoted by the CAP bronze
equivalent to, and is worn in the place of, five bronze claps. Silver clasps are placed to the wearer's
right side of a bronze clasp. A maximum of four devices may be worn on any ribbon, unless
otherwise stated in this regulation. When the number of devices exceeds the authorized maximum, a
second ribbon is worn to the wearer's left of the initial ribbon. The second ribbon counts as one
subsequent award. When future awards reduce the devices to a single ribbon the second ribbon will

Okay, so I see where that came from. What's interesting is that there are awards where that is not true, like the NCSA ribbon, for example. I think I was just looking at the actual "Achievement award" entry when I couldn't find it.
Capt Abby R. Lockling
SSgt(Sep) USAF, 41ECS
Charlie flight, NBB 2013

GaryVC

I presume you are referring to the CAP Achievement Award. Achievement ribbon is a bit vague.

Mitchell 1969

Quote from: GaryVC on March 02, 2017, 12:11:30 AM
I presume you are referring to the CAP Achievement Award. Achievement ribbon is a bit vague.

Definitely vague.

When I read it I immediately thought "Achievement ribbon."  As in, Wright Brothers, Curry, Arnold...none of which get awarded more than once to the same person.

Mitchell 1969; Earhart 1971; Eaker 1973. Cadet Flying Encampment, License, 1970. IACE New Zealand 1971; IACE Korea 1973.

CAP has been bery, bery good to me.

jeders

Quote from: Levi Lockling on March 01, 2017, 11:12:09 PM
CAPR 39-3 Page 4

Okay, so I see where that came from. What's interesting is that there are awards where that is not true, like the NCSA ribbon, for example. I think I was just looking at the actual "Achievement award" entry when I couldn't find it.

And in the case of the NCSA ribbon, the method of displaying subsequent awards is laid out in the paragraph relating to that awards. Since the Achievement Award, and in fact all of the decorations found in Section B, do not list the method of displaying subsequent awards, the default assumption should be to follow the guidance that Eclipse posted. In other words, not vague in any way, shape, or form.
If you are confident in you abilities and experience, whether someone else is impressed is irrelevant. - Eclipse

Mitchell 1969

Quote from: jeders on March 02, 2017, 02:02:13 PM
Quote from: Levi Lockling on March 01, 2017, 11:12:09 PM
CAPR 39-3 Page 4

And in the case of the NCSA ribbon, the method of displaying subsequent awards is laid out in the paragraph relating to that awards. Since the Achievement Award, and in fact all of the decorations found in Section B, do not list the method of displaying subsequent awards, the default assumption should be to follow the guidance that Eclipse posted. In other words, not vague in any way, shape, or form.

Nah. Vague.

The question was about the "Achievement Ribbon." You are taking that to mean "Achievement Award," when that wasn't specified. Meanwhile, ribbons awarded for completing cadet achievements have been known, either officially or colloquially, as "Achievememt Ribbons" for over 50 years. Thetefore, vagueness ensues.

Mitchell 1969; Earhart 1971; Eaker 1973. Cadet Flying Encampment, License, 1970. IACE New Zealand 1971; IACE Korea 1973.

kwe1009

Quote from: Mitchell 1969 on March 03, 2017, 10:06:18 AM
Nah. Vague.

The question was about the "Achievement Ribbon." You are taking that to mean "Achievement Award," when that wasn't specified. Meanwhile, ribbons awarded for completing cadet achievements have been known, either officially or colloquially, as "Achievememt Ribbons" for over 50 years. Thetefore, vagueness ensues.

There are no clasps on any Cadet Achievement Ribbons since they can only be earned once.  I'm pretty sure the OP actually meant Achievement Award.

PHall

Quote from: kwe1009 on March 03, 2017, 01:31:57 PM
Nah. Vague.

There are no clasps on any Cadet Achievement Ribbons since they can only be earned once.  I'm pretty sure the OP actually meant Achievement Award.

Wrong.... Some achievement/milestone award ribbon do get clasps. If you have earned the Model Rocketry Badge you put a silver star on your Goddard ribbon and if you graduate from Cadet Officers School you put a silver star on your Mitchell Award ribbon as per CAPR 39-3.

kwe1009

Quote from: PHall on March 03, 2017, 03:27:35 PM
Nah. Vague.

Wrong.... Some achievement/milestone award ribbon do get clasps. If you have earned the Model Rocketry Badge you put a silver star on your Goddard ribbon and if you graduate from Cadet Officers School you put a silver star on your Mitchell Award ribbon as per CAPR 39-3.

I didn't say that no devices go on cadet achievement awards.  I said that you can't earn an achievement ribbon more than once and that is a fact.

Again, I think we are straying away from what the OP was asking which is usually the case on this site.

Mitchell 1969

Quote from: PHall on March 03, 2017, 03:27:35 PM
Nah. Vague.

Those aren't clasps, which are used to designate repeat awards. They are devices, used to indicate specific events or accomplishments that occurred during an award time frame.

SarDragon

OK, to summarize, OP asked about the Achievement Ribbon (big A) and clasps thereon. A reasonable assumption was pitched that the discussion item was really the ribbon for the Achievement Award. We determined that clasps are worn on this, and similar ribbons. Discussion about achievement ribbons (small a) determined that devices, vice clasps, are worn on certain of those.

And on that note, the measuring competition is concluded.

PM me if you feel that there is additional relevant info to add.

Click.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret