Rothco flight suit wear example

Started by Eclipse, February 25, 2017, 03:43:53 AM

Eclipse

I just finished sewing a blue utility coverall dark blue non-Nomex flight suit
for one of my members, and the color difference is striking.

Mine was purchased in March 2008, and if I've worn it 20 times total since then,
I'd be shocked.  Yes it's ~9 years old, but it's nine years of mostly closet hanging.

I thought it was still "OK", but next to a new one it's remarkable how much it has faded
with very little use and just normal washing.

If I get a replacement, it won't be a Rothco, that's for sure.

"That Others May Zoom"

Abby.L

Holy color variation, Batman!

It's funny because I doubt people will care, given the colors of their polos...
Capt Abby R. Lockling
SSgt(Sep) USAF, 41ECS
Charlie flight, NBB 2013

AlphaSigOU

Get the Tru-Spec instead of the Rothco. The non-Nomex type has the McPeak-style 'happy pockets' on the sides but it uses the same type and weight fabric without the Nomex fire-resistant quality.
Lt Col Charles E. (Chuck) Corway, CAP
Gill Robb Wilson Award (#2901 - 2011)
Amelia Earhart Award (#1257 - 1982) - C/Major (retired)
Billy Mitchell Award (#2375 - 1981)
Administrative/Personnel/Professional Development Officer
Nellis Composite Squadron (PCR-NV-069)
KJ6GHO - NAR 45040

NIN

Guy in my unit has the Rothco one in green.

I'd wear a set of coveralls from Sears before I wore that thing.

Its the *wrong shade* of green, the whole thing is cut like a Hefty bag on Twiggy, the proportions are *way* out of whack, and it just looks... Off.

I think we had a thread here about it.

Do yourself a favor and track down an old SAC missile bag. Way, way better.

Darin Ninness, Col, CAP
I have no responsibilities whatsoever
I like to have Difficult Adult Conversations™
The contents of this post are Copyright © 2007-2024 by NIN. All rights are reserved. Specific permission is given to quote this post here on CAP-Talk only.

foo

Quote from: AlphaSigOU on February 25, 2017, 02:30:42 PM
Get the Tru-Spec instead of the Rothco. The non-Nomex type has the McPeak-style 'happy pockets' on the sides but it uses the same type and weight fabric without the Nomex fire-resistant quality.

Ditto on the Tru-Spec brand. They make high quality stuff and their basic (non-Nomex) flight suits are on sale for $39.94 at tacticalgear.com.

SARDOC

The TruSpec one is actually better.  The only issue I have is that sizing wise they don't make one that fits.  I've even tried ordering a 2x where normally the XL is fine.  The overall length and width is fine.  The problem I have is the Torso length from the shoulders to the Crotch isn't long enough resulting in the permanent wedgie.

I've contacted them and even if I were to order the 3X which would be way too big, the torso length is still the same, meaning sleeves and legs are too long, it'll be baggy...but you still would have the wedgie.

supertigerCH

maybe the difference between the dark blue on the rank and the blue that it was being stitched on to

should have been your first clue...

Eclipse

Quote from: supertigerCH on February 27, 2017, 01:52:52 AM

maybe the difference between the dark blue on the rank and the blue that it was being stitched on to

?

The one on the left is all brand new, the one on the right was sewn on about 6-1/2 years ago.

Maybe the suits should be made out of the grade material.

"That Others May Zoom"

supertigerCH

Eclipse my friend,

lol... you might be on to something there!  :)