Main Menu

Picking a Specialty Track?

Started by etodd, February 22, 2017, 11:50:22 PM

etodd

So I made it to Mission Pilot status (along with MS, MO and AP)  Now its time to start up Level II and I can't decide on a track.

My ideal track would use my 46 years of advertising/marketing/photography/video production/website/social media experience.  So thats a little of PAO, a little of ITO and the Recruiting part of RRO.  LOL

I already built and maintain the squadrons unofficial website. (I say unofficial since Im not an ITO)

Using other community Facebook pages, I already advertise and boost posts (self pay) of CAP events to generate interest. But again, unofficially on my own. (AND YES ... I'm careful what goes online. Don't even go there.)

IOW ... I'm really trying to leverage the media that teens use to get us 'out there' more than the folks just handing out pamphlets at schools and such.

So I would enjoy a track that would be in this realm ... but I don't guess we have a 'create your own track' .... that I would call "Advertising and Marketing Officer" or similar.

Maybe just staying where I am and working without the title is the way to go. As long as I'm helping the squadron, I don't mind staying Level I.

"Don't try to explain it, just bow your head
Breathe in, breathe out, move on ..."

Spaceman3750

Everything you are describing falls into the wheelhouse of the PAO fundamentally. It sounds like PA is the track you want. Also, stop all of this unofficial nonsense. What duty assignment you have is irrelevant to the conversation of what is official and what is not. Get with your CC, put it all into a PA plan, and execute it

etodd

Quote from: Spaceman3750 on February 22, 2017, 11:59:26 PM
Everything you are describing falls into the wheelhouse of the PAO fundamentally. It sounds like PA is the track you want.

Thanks for the reply.

Well, we already have three PAOs. But maybe another could fit in somewhere. I dunno.

PAO is so geared to " performance as a public affairs officer as they relate to community relations, media relations, internal relations, internet communications, online presence management, and mission participation, and as liaison with other organizations and agencies."

And working with those agencies is not my interest. My interest is reaching out to potential recruits in full blown advertising and marketing mode. So maybe Recruiting Officer would be better. Still pondering.

CAP_truth

Picking a specialty is what you wish to advance with for professional development. You are not limited to only one specialty. You can peruse an IT specialty and assist with websites as an assistant ITO while being the primary PAO for your unit.
Cadet CoP
Wilson

etodd

Quote from: CAP_truth on February 23, 2017, 06:05:32 PM
Picking a specialty is what you wish to advance with for professional development. You are not limited to only one specialty. You can peruse an IT specialty and assist with websites as an assistant ITO while being the primary PAO for your unit.

Good ideas.  Thanks! Built I've already developed the website and maintain it anyway. I've thought a bit about PAO, but as a Mission Pilot, MS, MO and AP ... I'd be more useful in the air during a SAR, instead of on the ground giving Press Releases to various agencies. So there is a timing conflict there.

So I'm back to thinking of Recruiter, since that should involve an abundance of various Advertising and Marketing tools I have. And its something done more in-between SARs and other events.

Eclipse

What is your track right now?  As part of Foundations the CC is required to put you in something.

"That Others May Zoom"

etodd

Quote from: Eclipse on February 24, 2017, 04:24:03 AM
What is your track right now?  As part of Foundations the CC is required to put you in something.

I had to laugh at that one.

I joined 16 months ago and have never met my "Professional Development Officer". He hasn't attended a meeting in all this time.  We communicated via email a few times at the start and he listed me under these tracks, just to have something on record: AEROSPACE - CADET PROGRAMS - EMERGENCY SERVICES - PUBLIC AFFAIRS

But I was basically left to my own devices to figure out eServices, find all the various online tests to take for Level I, etc. Ops Quals and WMIRS.

If Professional Development Officer is suppose to be a "mentoring" position .... ahem.

I stayed busy since then going through all the SQTRs for MS, MO, AP and MP. Finding all the info myself and bugging others when I couldn't. Now that I have those done, I'm looking at what next. Although I'm also in the middle of IFR training.

MacGruff

Before Eclipse gets to it, that's a PDO who is not doing his/her job!

Where is face plant smiley???

Briank

That actually brings up an interesting, somewhat related, but somewhat side-question...

The units I've been in so far have not had PDOs.  I've just been kind of going along for the ride.  When you don't have a local PDO who's the go to person to fill that place?

Eclipse

The Commander, as with everything else not appointed but necessary or required.

"That Others May Zoom"

kcebnaes

Briank: in your case, me!  ;) Though, as of a week or so ago, we actually have a PDO for the group. He'd be a good option too!
Sean Beck, Maj, CAP
Great Lakes Region sUAS Officer
Various Other Thingsā„¢

etodd

Hmmm. Maybe I've answered my own question in mentioning we have an absentee PDO. I can keep doing all the website/marketing stuff I've been doing all along, but start working toward PDO for Level II, so that once I get someone in the door I can help mentor them and help them with orientation. Thanks folks, for keeping the chat going and helping me thrash this out.

Eclipse

Well, that's not a bad idea, "find a need / fill a need", but if so, get appointed as such as you've already lost 16 months of time in service.

"That Others May Zoom"

etodd

Quote from: Eclipse on February 25, 2017, 03:25:12 AM
Well, that's not a bad idea, "find a need / fill a need", but if so, get appointed as such as you've already lost 16 months of time in service.

Get appointed? Now let me go figure out how to make that happen. LOL

Not sure what you mean about losing 16 months since I'm just now about to start up Level II.

Eclipse

Professional development levels require time in service to complete specialty tracks.

With 16 months in, you could be well on your way to a senior rating in many of them,
but if you haven't been appointed to a given staff position, you're starting from zero when
you decide on a job.

"That Others May Zoom"

etodd

Quote from: Eclipse on February 25, 2017, 03:59:45 AM
Professional development levels require time in service to complete specialty tracks.

With 16 months in, you could be well on your way to a senior rating in many of them,
but if you haven't been appointed to a given staff position, you're starting from zero when
you decide on a job.

Gotcha. Well my first priority of a 'job' when I started was getting up through MS, MO, AP and MP, and I'm there, so I guess the 16 months went to good use. But yes, I'm now starting from zero on my additional job it looks like I need to progress through Level II.

Why isn't going through the process of VFR pilot, Transport pilot, O-Ride Pilot and then Mission Pilot not considered a specialty track? Seems a bit odd to me that its not.

Luis R. Ramos

Have you looked at the Operations Officer track?

Look at the CAPP 211: http://www.capmembers.com/media/cms/P211_62F4269290B38.pdf

Although I have been told there are no positions of DO at squadron level in New York Wing since no airplanes are assigned to squadrons, only to Group and Wing...

You could consider ADY for your group...
Squadron Safety Officer
Squadron Communication Officer
Squadron Emergency Services Officer

Briank

Quote from: kcebnaes on February 25, 2017, 02:18:21 AM
Briank: in your case, me!  ;) Though, as of a week or so ago, we actually have a PDO for the group. He'd be a good option too!

Excellent!  Nice to start getting those positions filled in.

etodd

Quote from: Luis R. Ramos on February 25, 2017, 07:34:15 AM
Have you looked at the Operations Officer track?

Look at the CAPP 211: http://www.capmembers.com/media/cms/P211_62F4269290B38.pdf

Although I have been told there are no positions of DO at squadron level in New York Wing since no airplanes are assigned to squadrons, only to Group and Wing...

You could consider ADY for your group...

Thanks, I'll check it out. I'm not in New York.

Luis R. Ramos

Squadron Safety Officer
Squadron Communication Officer
Squadron Emergency Services Officer