Main Menu

Too many acronyms!

Started by Fernando V, February 19, 2017, 10:01:22 PM

Fernando V

In capmembers.com, if you search the word "SAREX" you get 38 results. It's easy to find out that SAREX stands for SEARCH AND RESCUE EXERCISE. But I was told that this is an old term, no longer in use, right?
However, if you search the word "TRAEX" you get 0 (zero) results! I'm amazed to find out that it's not written anywhere what "TRAEX" stands for.
Would it mean the obvious answer, "Training Exercise"?
Or would it incorporate in the extended name what people are training in, like, for example, "Search and Rescue Training Exercise"?
CAP uses a lot of acronyms. To mention just a very few ones: WMIRS, SIRS, MSA, MRO, PIO, PAO, SQTR, IC, TLS, SLS, CLC, UCC, CTWG, NER, etc. The list seems endless! I joined CAP in 2015 and almost every week, at my unit meeting, I hear a new acronym. A typical dialogue I have very often with my fellow officers is:
"Haven't you done XXXX yet? No, what XXXX means?" (I'm the guy who always makes this annoying question.)  "Well, I'm not sure, you can search it online... But you should do it!"
That's incredible for me, but it's true: if you ask people what these acronyms stand for, they get confused... Or they give you wrong answers (e.g. NER = New England Region). Even officers with long years in CAP, or CAP commanders, can't tell you promptly what the acronyms they use stand for.
I doubt most people will agree with me, but I'd like to hear people calling courses, positions, awards, etc. by their REAL FULL EXTENDED NAMES, instead of using these hermetic acronyms, so difficult for new members to memorize and use correctly, knowing what they're talking about.

Eclipse

Quote from: Fernando V on February 19, 2017, 10:01:22 PM
In capmembers.com, if you search the word "SAREX" you get 38 results. It's easy to find out that SAREX stands for SEARCH AND RESCUE EXERCISE. But I was told that this is an old term, no longer in use, right?

This is still in common use for Search and Rescue Excercises.

However, if you search the word "TRAEX" you get 0 (zero) results! I'm amazed to find out that it's not written anywhere what "TRAEX" stands for.
Would it mean the obvious answer, "Training Exercise"?

Yes, however in very limited use by a couple of wings or less.

Or would it incorporate in the extended name what people are training in, like, for example, "Search and Rescue Training Exercise"?
CAP uses a lot of acronyms. To mention just a very few ones: WMIRS, SIRS, MSA, MRO, PIO, PAO, SQTR, IC, TLS, SLS, CLC, UCC, CTWG, NER, etc. The list seems endless! I joined CAP in 2015 and almost every week, at my unit meeting, I hear a new acronym. A typical dialogue I have very often with my fellow officers is:
"Haven't you done XXXX yet? No, what XXXX means?" (I'm the guy who always makes this annoying question.)  "Well, I'm not sure, you can search it online... But you should do it!"

That's incredible for me, but it's true: if you ask people what these acronyms stand for, they get confused... Or they give you wrong answers (e.g. NER = New England Region). Even officers with long years in CAP, or CAP commanders, can't tell you promptly what the acronyms they use stand for.

Informed and engaged officers with experience will know, and should define them when used or confused looks are seen.

I doubt most people will agree with me, but I'd like to hear people calling courses, positions, awards, etc. by their REAL FULL EXTENDED NAMES, instead of using these hermetic acronyms, so difficult for new members to memorize and use correctly, knowing what they're talking about.

No thank you.

Acronyms Initialisms are part of the game with any large organizaiton, especially those related to
the military, LEAs, and FDs.

They generally aren't that hard to figure out, and if you don't understand, just ask.  If you're getting attitude about
asking, that's a different story - everybody was new at some point.

"That Others May Zoom"

etodd

"Don't try to explain it, just bow your head
Breathe in, breathe out, move on ..."

SarDragon

For the OP (original poster), you would do well to consult CAP publications directly, instead of searching willy-nilly online. Most of the acronyms/initialisms* we use are defined in our regs and manuals. Use the available resources, and some better directed initiative, and you can be an instant expert almost overnight.

*Acronym - an abbreviation made up from initial letters of words that becomes a pronounceable word, like laser, radar, SAREX, TACAN.

Initialism - an abbreviation made up from initial letters of words that does not become a pronounceable word and is generally spelled out, like CAPR, CAPM, FAA, GPS, CAP, LED, IRS, mpg. You get the idea.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

Гугл переводчик

If you plan on joining the military, you'll be in for a bad time...
Former C/Maj., CAP
1st Lt., CAP
SrA, USAF                                           

Starbux

There are courses on why abbreviated terms are used for large organizations.  It allows for efficient communications when something can be abbreviated.  You think CAP is bad, my joint staff job as a USAF reservist, we live in an acronym jungle.  We have some that have dual meanings like COA.  In my reserve job COA can mean Course of Action or Combined Operations Area, depending on the context.  That's when it becomes fun.  We have several more like it.  Yeah it can be frustrating at first you start picking up what they are after a while.

waukwiz

Quote from: SarDragon on February 20, 2017, 12:53:11 AM
...CAPR, CAPM, FAA, GPS, CAP, LED, IRS, mpg. You get the idea.

You mean you don't pronounce all those?

Maybe I'm doing it wrong...

But in all seriousness, initialisms and acronyms are the nature of the beast when it comes to any military/emergency services, so it's best to just get used to it.
Cadet Cullen Mayes
Waukesha Composite Squadron
"Ok, how about instead of doing that, let's not do that. Ok?"
GTM1 • MO • MRO • MSA • ♦UDF

SarDragon

Each and every one of those is spelled out, letter by letter, in normal usage.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

THRAWN

Quote from: SarDragon on February 20, 2017, 08:38:31 PM
Each and every one of those is spelled out, letter by letter, in normal usage.

I think he meant that they are not pronounced "Capper, Cap-em, Faaahh, Gips, cap, led, Errs, empeg, etc...."
Strup-"Belligerent....at times...."
AFRCC SMC 10-97
NSS ISC 05-00
USAF SOS 2000
USAF ACSC 2011
US NWC 2016
USMC CSCDEP 2023

waukwiz

Cadet Cullen Mayes
Waukesha Composite Squadron
"Ok, how about instead of doing that, let's not do that. Ok?"
GTM1 • MO • MRO • MSA • ♦UDF