Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 30, 2017, 02:28:37 PM
Home Help Login Register
News:

CAP Talk  |  Operations  |  Safety  |  Topic: For Safety Sake @ Work and CAP
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All Print
Author Topic: For Safety Sake @ Work and CAP  (Read 2572 times)
TheSkyHornet
Salty & Seasoned Contributor

« Reply #40 on: March 19, 2017, 04:33:05 PM »

We had a safety meeting at work the other day and the Boss asked me what steps I would take if the shop was on fire.  Obviously "[darn] big ones" was not the answer he wanted....

Our Director of Safety always brings up a great philosophy: You put 5 people into a meeting, and there are 7 different opinions. Everyone walks in with either an opinion or no opinion. As the discussion progresses, some people change their opinion; some people become more confused, probably angry.

capsafety

« Reply #41 on: March 19, 2017, 06:04:48 PM »

We had a safety meeting at work the other day and the Boss asked me what steps I would take if the shop was on fire.  Obviously "[darn] big ones" was not the answer he wanted....

Our Director of Safety always brings up a great philosophy: You put 5 people into a meeting, and there are 7 different opinions. Everyone walks in with either an opinion or no opinion. As the discussion progresses, some people change their opinion; some people become more confused, probably angry.

Happens quite a bit. I have fellow managers that will agree with me during one discussion and then when we approach it again have a different opinion.

But it generally works out in the end.

Thanks for the input folks.

The next one is coming soon.
Is "in-between decisions" a status?
Luis R. Ramos

« Reply #42 on: March 19, 2017, 06:06:04 PM »

Who brings the extra two opinions?

>:D

Squadron Administrative Officer
Squadron Communication Officer
Squadron Emergency Services Officer
SarDragon
Global Moderator

Unit: NAVAIRPAC

« Reply #43 on: March 19, 2017, 07:54:31 PM »

Usually, the pedants.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret
TheSkyHornet

« Reply #44 on: March 21, 2017, 08:05:00 PM »

Who brings the extra two opinions?

>:D

Usually, the pedants.

This.

Or the person who is completely confused....or the person who votes twice just so they can get out of the meeting...

A major point with any safety program, though, is that communication is key and dissension is welcome. It doesn't mean that person will leave getting their way, and there comes a point when they need to realize they're outnumbered, but you don't want a safety culture where the head of your safety program makes all of the decisions for everyone. You need to have those other opinions so you don't get narrow-minded and locked in to your own ideas.
Eclipse
Too Much Free Time Award

« Reply #45 on: Yesterday at 04:41:25 PM »

http://www.atlasobscura.com/articles/pointing-and-calling-japan-trains

An interesting article about the Safety culture in Japan on their rail system.

"Known in Japanese as shisa kanko, pointing-and-calling works on the principle of associating one’s tasks with physical movements and vocalizations to prevent errors by “raising the consciousness levels of workers”—according to the National Institute of Occupational Safety and Health, Japan. Rather than rely on a worker’s eyes or habit alone, each step in a given task is reinforced physically and audibly to ensure the step is both complete and accurate."

This requires at least some modicum of positive attention to complete, moving the act from "habit" to " action".

"Effort" does not equal "results".
The contents of this post are Copyright © 2017 by eclipse. All rights are reserved. Specific permission is given to quote this post here on CAP-Talk only.

Pages: 1 2 [3]  All Print 
CAP Talk  |  Operations  |  Safety  |  Topic: For Safety Sake @ Work and CAP