Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 23, 2017, 08:05:40 PM
Home Help Login Register
News:

CAP Talk  |  Operations  |  Safety  |  Topic: For Safety Sake @ Work and CAP
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All Print
Author Topic: For Safety Sake @ Work and CAP  (Read 2322 times)
TheSkyHornet
Salty & Seasoned Contributor

« Reply #40 on: March 19, 2017, 04:33:05 PM »

We had a safety meeting at work the other day and the Boss asked me what steps I would take if the shop was on fire.  Obviously "[darn] big ones" was not the answer he wanted....

Our Director of Safety always brings up a great philosophy: You put 5 people into a meeting, and there are 7 different opinions. Everyone walks in with either an opinion or no opinion. As the discussion progresses, some people change their opinion; some people become more confused, probably angry.

capsafety

« Reply #41 on: March 19, 2017, 06:04:48 PM »

We had a safety meeting at work the other day and the Boss asked me what steps I would take if the shop was on fire.  Obviously "[darn] big ones" was not the answer he wanted....

Our Director of Safety always brings up a great philosophy: You put 5 people into a meeting, and there are 7 different opinions. Everyone walks in with either an opinion or no opinion. As the discussion progresses, some people change their opinion; some people become more confused, probably angry.

Happens quite a bit. I have fellow managers that will agree with me during one discussion and then when we approach it again have a different opinion.

But it generally works out in the end.

Thanks for the input folks.

The next one is coming soon.
Is "in-between decisions" a status?
Luis R. Ramos

« Reply #42 on: March 19, 2017, 06:06:04 PM »

Who brings the extra two opinions?

>:D

Squadron Administrative Officer
Squadron Communication Officer
Squadron Emergency Services Officer
SarDragon
Global Moderator

Unit: NAVAIRPAC

« Reply #43 on: March 19, 2017, 07:54:31 PM »

Usually, the pedants.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret
TheSkyHornet

« Reply #44 on: March 21, 2017, 08:05:00 PM »

Who brings the extra two opinions?

>:D

Usually, the pedants.

This.

Or the person who is completely confused....or the person who votes twice just so they can get out of the meeting...

A major point with any safety program, though, is that communication is key and dissension is welcome. It doesn't mean that person will leave getting their way, and there comes a point when they need to realize they're outnumbered, but you don't want a safety culture where the head of your safety program makes all of the decisions for everyone. You need to have those other opinions so you don't get narrow-minded and locked in to your own ideas.
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All Print 
CAP Talk  |  Operations  |  Safety  |  Topic: For Safety Sake @ Work and CAP