CAP Support for FEMA USAR programs

Started by SARDOC, February 04, 2017, 07:11:23 PM

SARDOC

In the Memorandum between FEMA and CAP, it says that
QuoteCAP resources may be employed as a Component of the Urban Search and Rescue (US&R)Program.

Has anybody done this? or made the attempt to even train or augment a FEMA USAR Task Force in your state?

To the best of knowledge it's not been done and I'm not sure what role we would play as envisioned by the authors of this document.  Is there any insight into this at all?  Thanks

Eclipse

"That Others May Zoom"

RiverAux

Not really sure where CAP would fit in there since we can't do the actual work of those units.

SARDOC

Quote from: RiverAux on February 04, 2017, 11:10:27 PM
Not really sure where CAP would fit in there since we can't do the actual work of those units.

They have communication/logisitics and other support functions.  Even doing Light Search and rescue similar to what they teach CERT teams.   I just don't what the authors had in mind here.

sardak

QuoteI just don't know what the authors had in mind here.
Keep in mind the MOU and Cooperative Agreement are dated 1996. This predates 9/11, Shuttle Columbia recovery, Katrina, Rita, Sandy and other major activations of USAR teams, NIMS, NRF, creation of DHS and the move of FEMA into it, as well as changes in CAP structure. Some references within the documents are obsolete.

While these events might not change what the authors had in mind, they are signifcant enough that revisions to the documents are warranted per section F(2) of the MOU. From personal knowledge working with USAR teams and FEMA, I can't see when CAP would be needed, or qualified, to be employed as a component of the US&R program as it operates today.

Mike

SARDOC

The only reason I ask because of my work with a USAR task force as well.   The thing about Volunteers of which the task force I worked with had a few is really about the asset the person brings to the table.  Not necessarily the organization they represent.

I think a revision may be more than warranted as well.

Eclipse

Quote from: SARDOC on February 05, 2017, 05:31:10 AM
I think a revision may be more than warranted...

This statement is now embedded as a UV watermark in every CAP reg, pamphlet, and related documents...

"That Others May Zoom"

CAPLTC

It's in the Reg.
Who is the proponent to ask for clarification?
"Find the enemy that wants to end this experiment (in American democracy) and kill every one of them until they're so sick of the killing that they leave us and our freedoms intact." -- SECDEF Mattis

AALTIS

We have had discussions with the comm guys from our our local FEMA task force concerning flying highbird missions for them.  But that was before we had a statewide radio system.
Alan Altis, Captain
EMT/ B
MO Wing Group I
Emergency Services &
Communications Officer

SARDOC

Quote from: AALTIS on April 29, 2017, 08:30:01 PM
We have had discussions with the comm guys from our our local FEMA task force concerning flying highbird missions for them.  But that was before we had a statewide radio system.

I've been in areas with FEMA that, let's just say, The high bird would have been appreciated.  Even portable repeater's would have been awesome.  As there was no state wide radio system or really any infrastructure for many miles.   Comms is a crucial element to what we do and would be a great function for CAP to support them.