Main Menu

Keeping it Classy in CAP

Started by CAPDCCMOM, February 01, 2017, 05:27:59 PM

DJ Light Chop

Eclipse

If this was posted using a CAP-related FB account, he's deserves to have free time on evenings and weekends.

If this was posted via a personal FB account, it has nothing to do with CAP, is almost certainly protected by the FAUSC, and criminal prosecution
isn't likely.

With the above said, a Unit CC unable to characterize his thoughts on the matter in a less inflammatory way, or engage a filter better,
isn't likely to keep his badge very long.

I can totally see why I've been wrong about FB all this time.    ::)

"That Others May Zoom"

kwe1009

The article makes it sound like the guy works for CAP which obviously is not the case.  Another good reason not to list "Squadron Commander of Awesome Composite Squadron" as your job on Facebook.

NIN

Darin Ninness, Col, CAP
I have no responsibilities whatsoever
I like to have Difficult Adult Conversations™
The contents of this post are Copyright © 2007-2024 by NIN. All rights are reserved. Specific permission is given to quote this post here on CAP-Talk only.

CAPDCCMOM

^^^  I looked for the "face palm" emoji, there was not one.    Hey Mods!!, we need a face palm app please

Eclipse

"That Others May Zoom"

MSG Mac

You think he'd know better than posting on Facebook.
Michael P. McEleney
Lt Col CAP
MSG USA (Retired)
50 Year Member

Offutteer

Quote from: kwe1009 on February 01, 2017, 06:08:53 PM
The article makes it sound like the guy works for CAP which obviously is not the case.  Another good reason not to list "Squadron Commander of Awesome Composite Squadron" as your job on Facebook.

Ya, my thought was, what does this guy really do for a living?  CAP commander doesn't pay the bills.

Ed DeSocio

These stories are shocking and heartbreaking.  At least he resigned quickly.
And, yes, that's the best facepalm gif I've ever seen!  Perfectly appropriate.

Ed DeSocio
Spaatz #594

jeders

If you are confident in you abilities and experience, whether someone else is impressed is irrelevant. - Eclipse

TheSkyHornet

Okay, so I get the "be professional, watch what you post" stuff. Aside from that....

But I'm a bit confused here: Was this on a unit page as the unit, a comment made on a unit page, a post by the Commander on his own Facebook news feed, or a comment on someone else's account? I don't see how she was directly threatened (it doesn't seem like they messaged her personally).

That doesn't excuse it, but this seems to be a bit inaccurate as to how it's being presented.

CAPDCCMOM

I think that regardless of what FB page he used, he was very obviously known as a member of CAP. That goes to the "beware of what you post". We all know that we are losing members at an alarming rate. From what the article states, this is a small Squadron, I am guessing in a small town. How many parents, that were considering getting their young people involved in CAP, have read these articles and have changed their point of view. If, indeed, this is a small, rural, town, the next Squadron could be an hour or more away. Forgive my assumption here, I know very little about Kansas, except that "there's no place like home".

In this digital age, where everyone has a camera in their pocket, it behooves to remember that we are always on display, and we represent CAP at all times.

Storm Chaser

Regardless of whether he posted this comment on a unit FB page (doubtful) or his own personal FB page, CAP commanders at all levels must exercise discretion and prudence before posting on social media. Freedom of speech aside, commanders represent the organization to the public and subordinate members whether conducting official CAP business or not. We don't have the luxury to make a distinction, since the media won't do so either. In this case, the commander exercised poor judgement.

FW

Where's Kelly Ann when you need her...

kwe1009

Quote from: TheSkyHornet on February 01, 2017, 09:41:20 PM
Okay, so I get the "be professional, watch what you post" stuff. Aside from that....

But I'm a bit confused here: Was this on a unit page as the unit, a comment made on a unit page, a post by the Commander on his own Facebook news feed, or a comment on someone else's account? I don't see how she was directly threatened (it doesn't seem like they messaged her personally).

That doesn't excuse it, but this seems to be a bit inaccurate as to how it's being presented.

My guess is on his FB profile he listed "Civil Air Patrol Squadron Commander" as his primary employer like a lot of cadets (and some Seniors) do.

Майор Хаткевич

And this is why I don't associate with CAP on my social media...

Eclipse

Quote from: Майор Хаткевич on February 02, 2017, 07:53:36 PM

You think you don't, but Google disagrees.  The first search brought up more linkage then you could
scrub in a lifetime - just the nature of being an active member.

Same goes for the gent in question, open-source connectivity all over the web.  He didn't need
to post under anything official for the media or the Rep's office to put those two things together.

That's the problem - it's not just your social marketing media platform use, it's everyone else.

"That Others May Zoom"

kwe1009

Quote from: Eclipse on February 02, 2017, 08:06:54 PM
Quote from: Майор Хаткевич on February 02, 2017, 07:53:36 PM

You think you don't, but Google disagrees.  The first search brought up more linkage then you could
scrub in a lifetime - just the nature of being an active member.

Same goes for the gent in question, open-source connectivity all over the web.  He didn't need
to post under anything official for the media or the Rep's office to put those two things together.

That's the problem - it's not just your social marketing media platform use, it's everyone else.

Very true but today's "journalists" usually won't spend much more time that looking for a FB profile.  Since this guy's post was on FB, it was just a matter of clicking on his name and the "investigative journalism" ended.

RNOfficer

Quote from: CAPDCCMOM on February 01, 2017, 05:27:59 PM
What not to post in your Recruiting efforts :o

http://www.kansascity.com/news/local/crime/article129895544.html

I's the FRONT PAGE of the Topeka Capitol-Journal

[attachment deleted by admin]