ADS-B OUT, NORDO, and midair collisions

Started by Live2Learn, January 30, 2017, 09:57:18 PM

Live2Learn

The FAA recently released a legal opinion about exemptions from the ADS-B OUT mandate which comes into effect on 1 Jan 2020.  The letter clarifies that all aircraft that were originally produced under a TC that did not require an electrical system would be exempt, regardless of whether a battery was later added.  See the attached letter.  Of course, to operate in Class B or C (or in D) would require special permission for each instance.  As more aircraft are equipped with ADS-B OUT we might enjoy the delusion of great situational awareness by maintaining constant watch of our ADS-B IN display...  but 'taint so.  FWIW, NTSB midair accident data for the last 20 years show about 1 accident per year in the traffic pattern of non-towered airports where at least one of the involved aircraft was a FW powered NORDO machine.  A couple of additional accidents involving NORDO aircraft occurred in cruise flight.   It looks like See and Avoid is still the first line of defence, and will remain so for a long time.  :)

etodd

I recently added a Stratus II to make my iPad Foreflight fully functional. Really exciting on my first trip through Atlanta Bravo to see all the traffic filling my screen.  But then I started noting how many planes I was seeing out the window that were NOT showing up on my iPad.  :o
"Don't try to explain it, just bow your head
Breathe in, breathe out, move on ..."

PHall

When we got TCAS on the C-141 it scared the crap out of us showing all of that traffic that we never knew was there!

EMT-83

Even more so at night, when you see all those nav lights out there with nothing on the screen.

Huey Driver

Quote from: etodd on January 31, 2017, 12:54:05 AM
I recently added a Stratus II to make my iPad Foreflight fully functional. Really exciting on my first trip through Atlanta Bravo to see all the traffic filling my screen.  But then I started noting how many planes I was seeing out the window that were NOT showing up on my iPad.  :o

Even with ADS-B & TIS-B... there's still a lot of untargeted metal in the sky. Should never get too comfortable with what's on the screens. Even so, I do notice that my traffic scan is substandard when my attention is being pulled towards the glass...
With malice toward none, with charity for all, with firmness in the right...