New Air Force PME Testing Policy for CAP Personnel

Started by Eagle400, June 07, 2007, 04:54:56 AM

Eagle400

Following an Air Force PME testing scandal involving a CAP Major General and Lieutenant Colonel, the Air Force has established a new testing policy for CAP personnel enrolled in Air Force PME courses.

Quote from: HQ CAP-USAF/CC3 May 2007

MEMORANDUM FOR CAP PERSONNEL ENROLLED IN AIR FORCE PME
CAP-USAF LIAISON REGION COMMANDERS

105 S. Hansell St
Maxwell AFB, AL 36112

SUBJECT:  New Testing Policy for CAP Personnel Enrolled in Air Force PME

1.  Effective 1 June 2007, the following policies will be in effect for CAP members enrolled in these Air Force Professional Military Education (PME) courses: Air War College, Air Command and Staff College, Squadron Officer School, Senior Noncommissioned Officer Academy, and Noncommissioned Officer Academy.  CAP members must take examinations for Air Force PME in the following order of priority:

a.  CAP members should test at a military installation (active, reserve, or Guard) testing facility to the maximum extent possible.  These facilities have been advised that CAP members may be contacting them to test and will make their facilities available.  Also, CAP members should note that all enlisted PME testing is now via electronic examination (e-exam), thus these test may only be administered at an instillation with e-exam capability. 

b.  CAP members who do not live near a military installation should make arrangements to test under the supervision of a CAP-USAF State Director (SD) or Reservist.

c.  In exceptional circumstances, CAP members may test under the supervision of two active CAP members serving as test administrators with permission of their CAP-USAF SD.     

2.  For all tests administered under provisions of paragraph 1.b. or 1.c., CAP Test Control Officers (TCO) will maintain a record of personnel serving as test administrators and ensure they have reviewed AFI 36-2201 Vol 4 and the AFIADL Catalog prior to proctoring tests.  Also, TCOs will ensure they maintain written documentation of the test given, test date, and the names of the examinee and administrators.

3.  This policy letter will remain in effect until incorporated into CAP Regulations.

//SIGNED//

RUSSELL D. HODGKINS JR, Col, USAF
Commander, CAP-USAF

cc: CAP/CC/CV/EX
AU/CF/CFR

Source: News of the Force
Breaking news: New testing policy for CAP personnel enrolled in AF courses
6 June 2007

arajca

Not breaking news. Look here.

Of course, it took time for NOTF to get hold of this memo, which was sent around CAP a few weeks ago. I suppose that since this is the first NOTF has heard about it, this is breaking news - for NOTF.

afgeo4

Exactly what enlisted PME tests are CAP members allowed to take?
GEORGE LURYE

DeputyDog

Quote from: afgeo4 on June 07, 2007, 05:30:49 AM
Exactly what enlisted PME tests are CAP members allowed to take?

I am asking the same question. Under the eligibility section for the two enlisted PME courses listed, CAP is not there.

Generally, if a CAP member is taking either of those two PME courses (Noncommissioned Officer Academy and Senior Noncommissioned Officer Academy), they are doing it because of their military or civil service requirements. CAP would only care about it after you have completed it, so it can be credited for something in CAP Professional Development (i.e. AFIADL 13, RSC or NSC).

Grumpy

Quote from: 12211985 on June 07, 2007, 04:54:56 AM
Following an Air Force PME testing scandal involving a CAP Major General and Lieutenant Colonel, the Air Force has established a new testing policy for CAP personnel enrolled in Air Force PME courses.

105 S. Hansell St
Maxwell AFB, AL 36112

1.  Effective 1 June 2007, the following policies will be in effect for CAP members enrolled in these Air Force Professional Military Education (PME) courses: Air War College, Air Command and Staff College, Squadron Officer School, Senior Noncommissioned Officer Academy, and Noncommissioned Officer Academy.  CAP members must take examinations for Air Force PME in the following order of priority:

a.  CAP members should test at a military installation (active, reserve, or Guard) testing facility to the maximum extent possible.  These facilities have been advised that CAP members may be contacting them to test and will make their facilities available.  Also, CAP members should note that all enlisted PME testing is now via electronic examination (e-exam), thus these test may only be administered at an instillation with e-exam capability. 

b.  CAP members who do not live near a military installation should make arrangements to test under the supervision of a CAP-USAF State Director (SD) or Reservist.

c.  In exceptional circumstances, CAP members may test under the supervision of two active CAP members serving as test administrators with permission of their CAP-USAF SD.     

2.  For all tests administered under provisions of paragraph 1.b. or 1.c., CAP Test Control Officers (TCO) will maintain a record of personnel serving as test administrators and ensure they have reviewed AFI 36-2201 Vol 4 and the AFIADL Catalog prior to proctoring tests.  Also, TCOs will ensure they maintain written documentation of the test given, test date, and the names of the examinee and administrators.

3.  This policy letter will remain in effect until incorporated into CAP Regulations.

//SIGNED//

Commander, CAP-USAF

AU/CF/CFR

6 June 2007

So, is this just a knee jerk reaction by the Air Force, or is there something to the charge that our fearless commander had somebody take the test for him?  If it is the later, what punitive actions, if any, will be taken against him?

Inquiring minds want to know.

Brian Billing

Lee Davis

Well, I'm just about to submit a request for the test for AFIADL 013...does that mean I have to travel somewhere to take that test? I realize it's late & I'm tired, but maybe sharper minds can help me clarify this.  Some help, please?
1LT Lee Davis
IL 303 PAO

DeputyDog

Quote from: Lee Davis on June 07, 2007, 06:42:10 AM
Well, I'm just about to submit a request for the test for AFIADL 013...does that mean I have to travel somewhere to take that test? I realize it's late & I'm tired, but maybe sharper minds can help me clarify this.  Some help, please?

Not to worry. AFIADL 13 is not affected by this (thankfully).

Slim

Quote from: DeputyDog on June 07, 2007, 06:46:09 AM

Not to worry. AFIADL 13 is not affected by this (thankfully).

Unlike this poor schlub who's just starting SOS. >:(

Slim

Hawk200

Quote from: Grumpy on June 07, 2007, 06:38:26 AM
So, is this just a knee jerk reaction by the Air Force, or is there something to the charge that our fearless commander had somebody take the test for him?  If it is the later, what punitive actions, if any, will be taken against him?

Awful big assumption. The fact that the policy is in effect could limit such accusations in the future. You need to keep in mind that accusation does not equal guilt. I don't like him either, but you're asking questions that noone here really has answers to, or would need to know about anyway. Even if he retires in the near future, we still won't really have any answers, as people have been known to do that to avoid creating problems for their organization. It's not necessarily an admission of guilt.

JohnKachenmeister

Quote from: Grumpy on June 07, 2007, 06:38:26 AM
Quote from: 12211985 on June 07, 2007, 04:54:56 AM

105 S. Hansell St
Maxwell AFB, AL 36112

//SIGNED//

Commander, CAP-USAF

AU/CF/CFR

6 June 2007

Inquiring minds want to know.

Brian Billing

Brian:

I am going to speak very frankly and candidly here.  I want to warn you, whenever I speak frankly and candidly, people get mad at me.  I hope it is not the case today, but if it is, I'll just have to live with it.

The allegations against the National Commander will never be proven.  Too much time elapsed between the incident and the accusation.  Also, the accuser has some serious credibility issues, not the least of which was an attempt to secure favorable treatment which was denied right before he came forward with allegations of misconduct.  I'm not telling secrets, here, the accuser himself has openly posted his side of the story.

But, the USAF has decided that we, as CAP officers, cannot be trusted anymore to administer these tests.  The accusation, true or false, has put a stain on our honor and our credibility.  I am NOT happy about that, but I fully understand what Col. Russ had to do.  In his shoes, I would have done the same thing.

So, while the AF cannot prove that anything is missing from the shed, they have put a new lock on the door, and they are keeping the key.  This stain will take many years to wash away.  The cadets we have now will live with this dishonor as officers.

Every one of us must use this incident to re-dedicate ourselves to live our professional military volunteer lives with honor and integrity.  Shortcuts are fine.  Lapses of ethics are unforgivable.

And, lets be happy the Air Force didn't change our epaulets to hot pink, or something.
Another former CAP officer

mikeylikey

^^  I have no problem with the new testing policy.  In fact, it may open more doors for CAP as a whole.  Taking the test at an AF base (for those members close enough) will give them a chance to make CAP more visible on said base.  I have talked to my SD, and we can have our tests sent to any military testing facility.  That's ARMY/NAVY/AIR FORCE....etc.  If there is no place to take the test.....CAP can still administer it, just needs SD approval, NO BIG DEAL!

HOWEVER........lets drop this now, as it is old news and was most likely brought up to "stir the pot"!
What's up monkeys?

afgeo4

If DoD doesn't trust its own employees with taking their tests at home then why should they trust us? They are THEIR tests and should be taken in conditions THEY control. I have nothing against this at all. AT ALL.

All AFIADL courses designed specifically for CAP are still okay to be taken at CAP facilities as before. The USAF is just making sure that the exams are proctored to their specifications. I don't think it's an issue of mistrust. I think it's an issue of standartization.

P.S. Most or all MEPS stations are test control facilities because they administer the ASVAB. There should be a MEPS station within just about everyone's reach.
GEORGE LURYE

JCJ

Quote from: afgeo4 on June 07, 2007, 08:06:47 PM
If DoD doesn't trust its own employees with taking their tests at home then why should they trust us? They are THEIR tests and should be taken in conditions THEY control. I have nothing against this at all. AT ALL.

All AFIADL courses designed specifically for CAP are still okay to be taken at CAP facilities as before. The USAF is just making sure that the exams are proctored to their specifications. I don't think it's an issue of mistrust. I think it's an issue of standartization.

P.S. Most or all MEPS stations are test control facilities because they administer the ASVAB. There should be a MEPS station within just about everyone's reach.

agree

It looks like we'll be following procedures similar to those for USAF personnel for testing on these USAF courses.

I don't have a problem with that

arajca

Define "reach".

two hours, five hours, ten hours?

SAR-EMT1

Congrats on getting through the 13 Course Mr Davis. I recall you were in the SLS I attended at Scott AFB last year.
Good luck on the exam. And as, these fine gentlemen said, your course will not be upset by this new policy.
C. A. Edgar
AUX USCG Flotilla 8-8
Former CC / GLR-IL-328
Firefighter, Paramedic, Grad Student

lordmonar

Quote from: arajca on June 07, 2007, 05:26:44 AM
Not breaking news. Look here.

Of course, it took time for NOTF to get hold of this memo, which was sent around CAP a few weeks ago. I suppose that since this is the first NOTF has heard about it, this is breaking news - for NOTF.

I like the "breaking news" that is a month old!  :D
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

ColonelJack

Quote from: lordmonar on June 08, 2007, 06:48:52 AM
I like the "breaking news" that is a month old!  :D

"And now, this late bulletin ... General Washington has decided to winter his troops in the Valley Forge area.  Well, we did say it was a late bulletin."

Jack
Jack Bagley, Ed. D.
Lt. Col., CAP (now inactive)
Gill Robb Wilson Award No. 1366, 29 Nov 1991
Admiral, Great Navy of the State of Nebraska
Honorary Admiral, Navy of the Republic of Molossia

Hawk200

I didn't see this one until this thread was posted.

lordmonar

Quote from: Hawk200 on June 08, 2007, 04:24:19 PM

It was discussed at the last full NB meeting...back in March...it went to USAF for approval and was announced in may.  NOTF must have been sleeping and then just found out about it...and were quick to jump up and take the credit. ;D

Hawk200

Quote from: lordmonar on June 09, 2007, 12:35:21 AM
Quote from: Hawk200 on June 08, 2007, 04:24:19 PM

It was discussed at the last full NB meeting...back in March...it went to USAF for approval and was announced in may.  NOTF must have been sleeping and then just found out about it...and were quick to jump up and take the credit. ;D

In March, I was just starting an Army school (which I finish two weeks from now), and I don't read NOTF. So it was still news to me.

RogueLeader

WYWG DP

GRW 3340

lordmonar

Quote from: RogueLeader on June 10, 2007, 01:09:40 AM
I do believe he was making easy fun of NOTF. 8)

NO!!! I would NEVER poke fun a such a bastion to journalistic freedoms and values!  Bite your tongue!

RogueLeader

Quote from: lordmonar on June 10, 2007, 01:15:56 AM
Quote from: RogueLeader on June 10, 2007, 01:09:40 AM
I do believe he was making easy fun of NOTF. 8)

NO!!! I would NEVER poke fun a such a bastion to journalistic freedoms and values!  Bite your tongue!
Never ??? Riiiggghhhhtttttt... Whatever you say.
WYWG DP

GRW 3340

afgeo4

Quote from: arajca on June 08, 2007, 12:50:13 AM
Define "reach".

two hours, five hours, ten hours?
Don't know... hopefully within just a couple of hours. I don't see how recruiters can sustain driving potential recruits 5 hours each way very often to get tested. Why don't you find the nearest armed forces recruiter (any branch) and ask him/her. I'm sure they'll know exactly where you can do this. In fact, don't even go there... just call them.
GEORGE LURYE

mikeylikey

^^  Years ago I took an Army Distance ED test at a local College Library.  I am wondering if you can still do this?  The library was actaully listed as an "Alternate Test Control Site".  Does the AF provide a link to Testing sites?? 
What's up monkeys?

Hawk200

Quote from: mikeylikey on June 12, 2007, 09:07:19 PM
^^  Years ago I took an Army Distance ED test at a local College Library.  I am wondering if you can still do this?  The library was actaully listed as an "Alternate Test Control Site".  Does the AF provide a link to Testing sites?? 

The eduation centers (the military side) on most Air Force bases handle the EOC tests for AFIADL. The CAP Officer course is AFIADL, so you could probably take the test at one of those. You would just need to know their shredout code, which they could give you if you called them.

SAR-EMT1

That opens a new question: will the AF need to order our courses and / or tests from now on?
C. A. Edgar
AUX USCG Flotilla 8-8
Former CC / GLR-IL-328
Firefighter, Paramedic, Grad Student

DeputyDog

Quote from: SAR-EMT1 on June 14, 2007, 06:02:07 AM
That opens a new question: will the AF need to order our courses and / or tests from now on?

No.

James Shaw

I have taken 4 of the 5 tests for SOS. I wonder since this rule change has occured if they will make me drive to Robbins AFB to take the last part of the test? I finished #4 3 weeks ago and havent received anything back yet. I am ready to be done witrh it.
Jim Shaw
USN: 1987-1992
GANG: 1996-1998
CAP:2000 - SER-SO
USCGA:2019 - BC-TDI/National Safety Team
SGAUS: 2017 - MEMS Academy State Director (Iowa)

afgeo4

Last time I checked, AFIADL had a list of test facilities on its website. You put in either your state or your zip and it gives you a whole list of what's "near" you. That's available at online registration for exams too. You just input the code of the test site you've chosen (either a military base or your CAP wing hq) and they send it there.
GEORGE LURYE