Time in grade vs time in service

Started by MC653, January 27, 2017, 06:26:11 PM

MC653

I'm a twenty year member that has been pretty inactive for a while. If I want to get promoted, do they count my time in the organization or only my time in a particular grade?

MSG Mac

They take time in grade, Professional Development level, and how active you've been in your unit. If you haven't been active, what's the sense of promoting you.
Michael P. McEleney
Lt Col CAP
MSG USA (Retired)
50 Year Member

cjromk

I'm not sure I understand. Both values are tracked and taken into consideration. You can ask your PD officer, any deputy commanders or squadron commander to print a "Senior Member Promotion Eligibility Report" that will list both your time in organization and time in grade. (The report is for everyone in the squadron, but they can still tell you what yours is.) Does that help?

Eclipse

Quote from: MC653 on January 27, 2017, 06:26:11 PM
I'm a twenty year member that has been pretty inactive for a while. If I want to get promoted, do they count my time in the organization or only my time in a particular grade?

TIS is how long NHQ credits you as a member in total, not including any lapses in membership.

TIG is time since last promotion.

You can be a 20-year member, but the clock for Major doesn't start until you get Captain (etc.), it starts for the next
grade the day the last one is / was approved.  It's not cumulative, or "sliceable" for the next grade like a duty position
would be.

"That Others May Zoom"

vorteks

Eclipse

"That Others May Zoom"

N6RVT

Quote from: Eclipse on January 27, 2017, 07:07:50 PM
Quote from: MC653 on January 27, 2017, 06:26:11 PM

TIS is how long NHQ credits you as a member in total, not including any lapses in membership.

TIG is time since last promotion.

You can be a 20-year member, but the clock for Major doesn't start until you get Captain (etc.), it starts for the next
grade the day the last one is / was approved.  It's not cumulative, or "sliceable" for the next grade like a duty position
would be.

My date of rank as Captain is 15 May 1986.  I should finally make Major next month.  Won't be able to make LTC faster than anyone else.

I have never seen "Time in Service" factor in any CAP related decision.

Майор Хаткевич

Squadron commander applications typically have some TIS suggestions/preferences.

Storm Chaser

Since members must be performing in an exemplary manner meriting promotion to the next grade in order to get promoted under duty performance, an inactive member should not be promoted, especially if the period of inactivity is extensive and recent. When I consider a promotion, I look at what the member has done during the preceding years equal to the required time-in-grade for promotion. In order words, I expect a candidate to Lt Col seeking duty performance promotion to have been an active contributor during the preceding 4-5 years.