Sigh...we can be our worst social media enemies sometimes...

Started by PWK-GT, January 25, 2017, 10:24:47 PM

PWK-GT

And this still continues....A former member, and friend of mine, saw this on social media as part of a Holiday Photos album. No idea who this is, thank God he's not one of mine (based on the Wing patch).

"Is it Friday yet"

RogueLeader

He was totally fine up an until he put the blouse on.  He then further exacerbated the issue by posting it to a social media page.

Sigh.
WYWG DP

GRW 3340

Shutterbug

While I don't see the value of reposting this content to a public forum, examples of similar offenses can be seen daily on platforms such as Instagram and others among #CivilAirPatrol.

Long story short, through properly guiding our cadets (and senior members too!) in the right direction when it comes to representing CAP on social media, we can uphold excellence in our public image. Sometimes all it takes is a friendly reminder; everyone is a PAO.

RogueLeader

Quote from: Shutterbug on January 25, 2017, 10:33:38 PM
Long story short, through properly guiding our cadets (and senior members too!) in the right direction when it comes to representing CAP on social media, we can uphold excellence in our public image. Sometimes all it takes is a friendly reminder; everyone is a PAO.

Which is what I just recommend to our unit PAO.  Not my cadet, but I want to ensure that it is never my cadet.
WYWG DP

GRW 3340

Spam

Why does this remind me of the play sequence from "Rushmore"... perhaps because he is so obviously posing for effect, and so obviously (painfully) full of teenage stage drama, it hurts, just as in the Anderson movie.

I half expect Jason Schwartzman and Bill Murray to be right off camera from this guy!

Props (pun intended) for leaving the orange airsoft cap on, to allay any safety officer concerns, though!

V/r
Spam

Майор Хаткевич

Eclipse

#CivilAirPatrol

Well..that was "fun"...

Looks like there's a whole new source for "interesting uniforms" not to mention all manner of other
shenanigans, and in this case there's no way to limit the damage.

Worse still are some of the click-throughs to people's personal social media marketing platform
sites.

Own worst enemy indeed.

"That Others May Zoom"

Майор Хаткевич

Quote from: Eclipse on January 26, 2017, 05:14:42 PM
#CivilAirPatrol

Well..that was "fun"...

Looks like there's a whole new source for "interesting uniforms" not to mention all manner of other
shenanigans, and in this case there's no way to limit the damage.

Worse still are some of the click-throughs to people's personal social media marketing platform
sites.

Own worst enemy indeed.

4.3% of my IG posts appear to be CAP related in one way or another. They just aren't tagged in any way to come up on feeds...

TheSkyHornet

A courteous reminder can go along way, especially since most cadets, let alone senior members, have no clue about Public Affairs functions or the sensitivity of posting certain images/material while representing the force.

It doesn't require an investigation...

Eclipse

There is also the option, generally the preferable one, of simply not posting.

"That Others May Zoom"

TheSkyHornet

Okay, but he did post it.

Now, what's the next step?

Look up the cadet's name (and if it matches per his locale)...."Hey, Commander so-and-so, just letting you know that I saw a photo on Facebook of who I believe is Cadet So-and-So...."

I'm not sure an inquiry or mob is necessary here.

Fubar

CAPNHQ just posted a video to their facebook page where one senior was wearing a patch that hasn't been authorized in 10 years. At least that's not something the general public would notice.

Майор Хаткевич

Quote from: Fubar on January 26, 2017, 08:41:07 PM
CAPNHQ just posted a video to their facebook page where one senior was wearing a patch that hasn't been authorized in 10 years. At least that's not something the general public would notice.

Or...generally watch...

Fubar

Quote from: Майор Хаткевич on January 26, 2017, 10:00:12 PM
Quote from: Fubar on January 26, 2017, 08:41:07 PM

Or...generally watch...

Thanks for the chuckle. The NHQ/PA folks claim their social media presence has a "proven impact/potential" which is why they rely on it now.

They also said a recent story about a plane crash find had a potential reach of 2.5 billion people, so it's possible they're also the folks counting inaugural attendees.

Майор Хаткевич

Social media has its use. Most of the people showing up out of the blue at our unit came via our FB page. But to be seen...The content has to be on people's radar.

etodd

Quote from: Майор Хаткевич on January 27, 2017, 04:55:14 AM
Social media has its use. Most of the people showing up out of the blue at our unit came via our FB page. But to be seen...The content has to be on people's radar.

If the Cadets are doing fun activities, you can be sure they are taking a few selfies here and there and it then goes to hundreds of their friends from there. And then friends of friends ....

At some point soon,  if not already, I would expect most newcomers overall, will come from seeing social media posts of 'friends of friends' more than any type of official recruiting methods. Seeing folks one knows or their friends knows .... on social media having fun and doing productive things is a stronger pull than most anything. Best of all ... its free and the Cadets and Senior members on social media do it themselves. Win - win.
"Don't try to explain it, just bow your head
Breathe in, breathe out, move on ..."

TheSkyHornet

Quote from: etodd on January 27, 2017, 05:19:44 AM
Quote from: Майор Хаткевич on January 27, 2017, 04:55:14 AM

If the Cadets are doing fun activities, you can be sure they are taking a few selfies here and there and it then goes to hundreds of their friends from there. And then friends of friends ....

At some point soon,  if not already, I would expect most newcomers overall, will come from seeing social media posts of 'friends of friends' more than any type of official recruiting methods. Seeing folks one knows or their friends knows .... on social media having fun and doing productive things is a stronger pull than most anything. Best of all ... its free and the Cadets and Senior members on social media do it themselves. Win - win.

I'm a stickler for keeping an eye on what cadets are snapchatting or recording during activities.

I do not allow cadets to be going around with phones during activities to begin with, as it's unprofessional. During field training or an overnight, I expect some downtime and everyone to unlock. Even seniors will play on their phones; not a problem. But be observant of what's going on when you see those phones out.

We had some cadets hanging around after a meeting one day, and, without going into too much detail, one cadet decided to behave in a certain inappropriate manner (I wasn't even watching, but I heard it). As I glanced over, thus behold! A cellphone was out at arm's length (but I know cadets wouldn't be recording that, because they're responsible, well-behaved individuals in society, right?). It was immediately addressed, and subsequent private chats were held later to talk about it in further detail without a group of people standing there listening. And that stays behind closed doors. But it's not going to go unmentioned or unaddressed; it has to be.

I've seen cellphones out during promotion pinning; we have a PAO and a senior or cadet with an official camera taking photos for social media. I get that everyone wants to capture the moment, but aside from parents, my eye is on whose phones are out. We have a Public Affairs program for a reason, not just to promote CAP and the unit, but to monitor what gets posted by the unit to protect our integrity. Plus, they should be respectful and pay attention to begin with (nothing like that guy in an office meeting playing on his phone).

If I see an inappropriate photo taken in the moment, I will stand there and watch the cadet (or senior member for that matter) delete it (and delete it from their Recently Deleted archives).

Let them have fun and take photos, but it needs to be closely watched (not controlled, but situationally aware).

etodd

I don't guess you would approve of back seat cadets who are Facebook live video during O-Rides?  >:D

Sure generates some excitement amongst their friends though.
"Don't try to explain it, just bow your head
Breathe in, breathe out, move on ..."

Eclipse

Quote from: etodd on February 02, 2017, 12:33:21 AM
Sure generates some excitement amongst their friends though.

It generates "excitement" at the FCC as well.

"That Others May Zoom"

DakRadz

I'm not sure whether to pose this as a Safety, CD, or just general advice class for the cadets....