Main Menu

FCC GROL

Started by DJ Light Chop, January 25, 2017, 01:50:29 AM

DJ Light Chop

Does anyone have an FCC General Radiotelephone Operator's License?  I found a study course from a place that has electronics courses for it.  I went through the FCC licensing material, and I can't make any sense out of Form 605.  Anyone have this that they can walk me through the process and explain what the fees are (or if we're exempt from the filing and application fees)?

SarDragon

I don't have one, but have examined the process thoroughly with the possibility of testing for one.

The 605 is long, but has decent directions. You will need to obtain a FCC Registration Number (FRN) first. If this is your first non-ham license, most of the extra questions will have "No" answers. AFAIK, you will not be fee exempt.

Check with your test examiner to see if he/she will submit the form. http://wireless.fcc.gov/commoperators/index.htm?job=cole

For a GROL, you will need to fill out the main form, and also Schedule E, for Operator Class PG.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

DJ Light Chop

etodd

As a side note, back in 1974 I got my FCC "First Class" Radiotelephone Operator's License (with Ship's Radar endorsement). A few years later when the FCC stopped issuing those and changed to the "General", we could send in our certificate and get a "Lifetime" General , being grandfathered in. It had been 4 or 5 years since I had used it for work and didn't know about the change until the limited window of opportunity had passed. I haven't needed it for work since then, but would sure have been nice to still have it.
"Don't try to explain it, just bow your head
Breathe in, breathe out, move on ..."

DJ Light Chop

I figure it never hurts to learn more stuff.

radioconsult

I'm thinking it was around 1984 when everyone got rolled into the GROL. Got mine around somewhere all nicely framed.
50 Year Member!

radioguy

In my case, if I recall correctly, the testing organization submitted the form 605 for me.

John

Brad

The 605 is simple enough if you read it in its entirety. I just looked at the PDF and everything but the last two pages is just definitions and explanations. The form itself is just the last two pages.

I filled out a 605 for my ham license, but of course with the way that works now you actually fill out a 605 with a VEC and the VEC submits that to the FCC which processes it in lieu of the actual 605.

Also, online filing is a thing and will save a bunch of time and paperwork: http://wireless.fcc.gov/uls/index.htm?job=home

As mentioned, if you're not already a ham, go there and get an FRN and submit your 605 online.
Brad Lee
Maj, CAP
Assistant Deputy Chief of Staff, Communications
Mid-Atlantic Region
K4RMN

Briank

Doing a ham license via 605 is pretty simple, but for the GROL, there's some confusing items and seeming contradictions.  If you get it wrong, they'll send it back with notes on what they don't like about it...  I've gotten all my ham licenses processed in a single try, the MROP in 1 as well, but it took me 3 exchanges with the FCC to get my GROL paperwork processed, then 2 more for the RADAR endorsement...

SarDragon

As a side note, be aware that there is a significant number of Qs addressing marine requirements, which are not  normally encountered around CAP-associated comms.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret