Most common cadet haircut?

Started by T8nker, January 21, 2017, 01:49:58 AM

RogueLeader

Quote from: Eclipse on January 21, 2017, 03:30:40 AM
While you'll see plenty of them, a "high and tight" is generally an unnecessary affectation.

I have always discouraged cadets from anything but "normal" civilian style haircuts.

What is " normal"? Cite please.

Why is a "High and Tight" an affection?  For me and (in my observed experience, with no empirical evidence) that a High and Tight hair cut is an effective haircut that meets the standards, and does not require as high of maintenance as many "Normal (whatever that means)" hair cuts.  Most "normal" haircuts need trimmed at least every other week in order to meet the standards.  I can go 6 weeks with a High and Tight, before it is out of standard.

I've also gotten more positive comments from Military Personnel on their appearance when they've had a military style hair cuts and more concerns when they've had the "Normal" Hair cuts.  YMMV.

Also, in my experience, that we all want to be perceived (and actually be) as professionals- which is as it should be.  Part of that is in how we portray ourselves.  Does "Dress for the job you want" ring a bell?  Particularly when we wear the AF Style uniforms and to a certain extent, when we wear a uniform w/ grade insignia, we are graded in how we wear the uniform and how we reflect upon it.  The hair cut is a part of this whole package.  I, for one would be glad to tighten the hair standards.  Not to the Real Military (tm) standards, but tighter than what they are now.  Just my $0.25.
WYWG DP

GRW 3340

Toad1168

There are no (facial/cranial) grooming standards for the corporate uniform. That's why the uniform exists.
[/quote]

This is true.  My only point is in regards to the "do as I say, not as I do."  I am not disputing the corporate uniform or its lack of grooming standards.  But, it does lend to hypocrisy when a SM with a ponytail down his back, a beard, and a handlebar mustache is dressing down a cadet for violating grooming standards.

Toad

Майор Хаткевич

Quote from: Eclipse on January 21, 2017, 03:49:32 AM
^ Are logged into a Facebook account?  You generally have to be, which is one of my
ongoing complaints about CAP using it for cadets, since our youngest ones aren't allowed to access it.

Not if it's a properly set up public page. Further, MOST of our recruiting pool IS on Social Media, so there's that.

Майор Хаткевич

Quote from: Toad1168 on January 26, 2017, 09:52:50 PM
But, it does lend to hypocrisy when a SM with a ponytail down his back, a beard, and a handlebar mustache is dressing down a cadet for violating grooming standards.

Actually it does not. Cadets have grooming standards. SMs have grooming standards for USAF Variants. Cadets have a certain cadet Oath. SMs do not have a similar oath.

Spaceman3750

Quote from: Toad1168 on January 26, 2017, 09:52:50 PM
But, it does lend to hypocrisy when a SM with a ponytail down his back, a beard, and a handlebar mustache is dressing down a cadet for violating grooming standards.

Nobody, SM or otherwise, should be "dressing down" a cadet, or anyone else for that matter. This is the real issue, not the pony tail.

Luis R. Ramos

I do not see anything wrong with a senior member - in ponytails and beards, or severely overweight, for that matter - reminding cadets of their grooming standards if the senior member is in corporates. We do not have grooming standards in corporates. About whether he is not dressing for business, it does not matter. He could have a private company or be retired.

What is grossly wrong is that member dressing in AF Blues and reminding cadets.
Squadron Safety Officer
Squadron Communication Officer
Squadron Emergency Services Officer

etodd

Quote from: RogueLeader on January 26, 2017, 09:45:47 PM

I can go 6 weeks with a High and Tight, before it is out of standard.

Are we talking about us older Seniors or teenage Cadets who still want to attract the opposite sex at school outside of CAP. ;)

There is a balance somewhere.
"Don't try to explain it, just bow your head
Breathe in, breathe out, move on ..."

etodd

Quote from: Luis R. Ramos on January 21, 2017, 03:40:44 AM
How can you see squadron Facebook pages when you try to access them, you are asked for a password? And the implication being that this password must be assigned by the squadron itself! I am not going to request access to a squadron website that is not my squadron.

A 30 second Google search brought up lots of public ones. Here is a small sample:

https://www.facebook.com/Civil-Air-Patrol-Sumner-County-Cadet-Squadron-1553019445017605/

https://www.facebook.com/groups/SJVCS.CAP/

https://www.facebook.com/CAPSQ23/?fref=ts

https://www.facebook.com/SERGA098/?fref=ts

https://www.facebook.com/groups/109361032418995/

https://www.facebook.com/orangecountycap/?ref=br_rs

https://www.facebook.com/Civil-Air-Patrol-Kona-Composite-Squadron-248254798538310/?ref=br_rs

Luis R. Ramos

Really?

Seconds after I click on your first one, I get a window over it with the words:

See more of Civil Air Patrol - Sumner County Cadet Squadron by logging into Facebook
Message this Page, learn about upcoming events and more. If you don't have a Facebook account, you can create one to see more of this Page.

Not Now

If you call this a public one, maybe someone should hire you to make things secure!

>:(
Squadron Safety Officer
Squadron Communication Officer
Squadron Emergency Services Officer

etodd

Quote from: Luis R. Ramos on January 27, 2017, 04:06:55 AM
Really?

Seconds after I click on your first one, I get a window over it with the words:

See more of Civil Air Patrol - Sumner County Cadet Squadron by logging into Facebook
Message this Page, learn about upcoming events and more. If you don't have a Facebook account, you can create one to see more of this Page.

Not Now

If you call this a public one, maybe someone should hire you to make things secure!

>:(

If you click NOT NOW ... you can still see the whole page. FB just always tempts you with the invite to join ... but Public pages can always be seen. Hence the value in using them for marketing.

Trust me .. the Cadets all know this.  ;)

stillamarine

Quote from: etodd on January 27, 2017, 02:47:49 AM

Are we talking about us older Seniors or teenage Cadets who still want to attract the opposite sex at school outside of CAP. ;)

I've worn a high and tight or variants of such for over 20 years. 4 marriages later I think I still attract the opposite sex. For me it is easy to maintain plus it gives me a few weeks before having to worry about a haircut.
Tim Gardiner, 1st LT, CAP

USMC AD 1996-2001
USMCR    2001-2005  Admiral, Great State of Nebraska Navy  MS, MO, UDF
tim.gardiner@gmail.com

Майор Хаткевич

Quote from: stillamarine on January 27, 2017, 02:26:23 PM

I've worn a high and tight or variants of such for over 20 years. 4 marriages later I think I still attract the opposite sex. For me it is easy to maintain plus it gives me a few weeks before having to worry about a haircut.

There's a joke I there somewhere... >:D

Spam

Quote from: Майор Хаткевич on January 27, 2017, 07:53:53 PM
Quote from: stillamarine on January 27, 2017, 02:26:23 PM

There's a joke I there somewhere... >:D

I'll help:

"The problem only appears to be with Retention, not the Recruiting"!

Cheers!
Spam

NIN

Quote from: Spam on January 27, 2017, 11:26:55 PM
I'll help:

"The problem only appears to be with Retention, not the Recruiting"!

Send that guy to Wilford Hall... He needs the burn unit!
Darin Ninness, Col, CAP
I have no responsibilities whatsoever
I like to have Difficult Adult Conversations™
The contents of this post are Copyright © 2007-2024 by NIN. All rights are reserved. Specific permission is given to quote this post here on CAP-Talk only.

TheSkyHornet

Quote"The do as I say, not as I do" is what troubles me the most.  Yes we have the corporate uniforms for those SMs unable or unwilling to wear the USAF style.  I have absolutely no problem with those uniforms being worn.  What drives me crazy is the attitude that because it is the corporate uniform, that there are no grooming standards that some exhibit.  Now, I realize that they are relaxed.  But when you look at it in a Cadet Programs light, the message it sends is contradictory.  The cadets don't necessarily look at the uniform as being different.  Only that a SM officer orders them to comply to grooming standards when clearly they do not.

No, the cadets don't look at the uniform as being different. They see an adult, someone in a position of authority, who looks like a slob. The countless time I have seen members with greasy stains on their polos, torn blue cargo pants (often pairing the polo with BDU pants)...I mean just a mess.

CAPM 39-1 Section 1 explains that even in the Corporate, professional image is essential. While this is subjective, I think cultural norms dictate pretty well when we see someone who looks professional at an event versus like they're changing the oil on their car. Look and act professional for the occasion. This includes wearing a clean, tucked in shirt; wash your beard.