What level of competence does one need to be a flight sergeant at an encampment?

Started by Yochanan, January 10, 2017, 04:30:49 AM

Yochanan

What skills do I need to practice before I get my self into trouble by entering a field I have no clue about? I ask this months before my target encampment because I wish to be prepared.

MSG Mac

20-1, Cadet Staff Handbook, Encampment Handbook, -all available on E-services.
Michael P. McEleney
Lt Col CAP
MSG USA (Retired)
50 Year Member

Jester

Lead as much drill as you can.  Get good at marching a flight from place to place instead of just on a drill pad.  Get the hang of when to call column movements so you're not bouncing your flight off curbs like a pinball machine. Get the hang of correct cadence, most cadets I've seen tend to call it too fast. Be extremely familiar with the drill manual and how to teach it, since it's probable your troops won't show up as drill masters. Learn as much as you can about guidon drill so you know what "right" looks like and can teach it.

Write down your flight members' names and learn their faces quickly. This helps you account for them quicker.

Develop a quick checklist for stuff to check before you leave the barracks for ANY event.  Example:

"____ Flight, get out on the wall."

Are all my people here?  Yes.

Show me your hat and OI book (and whatever other items they need to have, such as guidon). SHOW ME, don't just say you have it.

SHOW ME your hydration gear. (Follow up with a HANDS ON check to ensure it is full. Make a rule that nobody leaves the barracks area without full hydration).

This can all be done quickly and will save you a lot of headaches.

Push hydration. Make sure they're drinking constantly throughout the day. Keep a list and track it if you have to.

Troop welfare is NCO business, and as the flight sergeant it is your primary job.

Eclipse

Quote from: Jester on January 10, 2017, 03:58:29 PM
Push hydration. Make sure they're drinking constantly throughout the day. Keep a list and track it if you have to.

Troop welfare is NCO business, and as the flight sergeant it is your primary job.

Both of these is important, especially in the summer.  Expectations and responsibilities will vary by encampment,
but bear in mind that as a Flt Sgt you are both learning and a mentor.  Keep an eye especially on your
youngest, most inexperienced cadets - you are the first line of safety, security, and most importantly, their
experience.

Handle corrections discreetly and make sure your Flight Commander and Training Officer are informed of "issues"
>and< successes.  Both will be important when completing the required evaluations, inspections, and summaries.

While you may not have served as an FS at encampment before, you surely have dealt with at least one during your
first encampment, and observed others.  Emulate the ones who were successful, and don't repeat the mistakes
of the ones who struggled. If you have a challenge yourself, Forget It, Move on (FIMO).

And educate yourself in the proper terminology, procedures and expectations of the new encampment program
and don't propagate obsolete terminology or wives tales.

"That Others May Zoom"

Jester

You're going to be worn out. Make sure you stay on top of your hydration. Make sure you have good boots and whatever insoles you need to be able to stay on your feet for longer than every other cadet. 

Take advantage of "white space" if you can. When cadets are in class, take care of your stuff. Elevate your feet for a bit.

Learn the symptoms of heat injuries and foot problems like the back of your hand. Keep them in the back of your mind and take action when you see them.

kwe1009

Probably the biggest piece of advice that I can give is that you are a Flight Sergeant, not Drill Instructor.  Too many staff cadets try to do their best Full Metal Jacket at encampment.  Sadly, they miss the point of encampment entirely.  It is not "basic training" by any stretch no matter what anyone else may say.

Here is a good statement to follow and pass on, "if you yelling, you are failing as a leader."  Of course there are times when yelling is fine and that is in order to prevent injury/death.  I can't think of any other time where a cadet needs to yell at another cadet. 

Be confident, care about and for the student under you and be a servant leader.  They will learn and respect you in the long run.