Attending more than one NCSA?

Started by diegoochoaaa, January 06, 2017, 09:27:15 PM

diegoochoaaa

Can you attend more than one NCSA if the dates don't over lap and you get selected to go to both?
I am applying for NESA and a National Glider Academy

jeders

Absolutely. I know of some cadets that have done I think 3 or 4 NCSAs in a year.
If you are confident in you abilities and experience, whether someone else is impressed is irrelevant. - Eclipse

waukwiz

Does applying for NCSAs work like applying to colleges?  Can I apply to several, get accepted to a few, but only follow up on registration to one? Because I have a few in mind, and if I don't get accepted to the one I chose to apply for, I don't want to be left in the cold after the application deadline.

Cadet Cullen Mayes
GLR-WI-048
"Flight Sergeant, why are we standing here in the mud?"

Cadet Cullen Mayes
Waukesha Composite Squadron
"Ok, how about instead of doing that, let's not do that. Ok?"
GTM1 • MO • MRO • MSA • ♦UDF

Huey Driver

Quote from: waukwiz on January 08, 2017, 06:29:42 AM
Does applying for NCSAs work like applying to colleges?  Can I apply to several, get accepted to a few, but only follow up on registration to one? Because I have a few in mind, and if I don't get accepted to the one I chose to apply for, I don't want to be left in the cold after the application deadline.

You can apply for as many as you'd like, for which you are eligible. If activities have overlapping dates, you will not be selected as a primary for both. Besides that, there's no limit on how many activities you can do.
With malice toward none, with charity for all, with firmness in the right...

waukwiz

Quote from: Nor'easter on January 08, 2017, 06:10:47 PM

You can apply for as many as you'd like, for which you are eligible. If activities have overlapping dates, you will not be selected as a primary for both. Besides that, there's no limit on how many activities you can do.
What I'm wondering is, if I apply to a certain NCSA, is it expected of me to follow through? Because I don't know yet what my summer schedule will look like, and which NCSAs will work and won't work. So if I discover that an NCSA I applied to will not work for me, will I be taking up anyone's spot? Will I be required to pay a fee for cancelling, is there a deposit I won't get back?

Cadet Cullen Mayes
GLR-WI-048

Cadet Cullen Mayes

kwe1009

Quote from: waukwiz on January 08, 2017, 06:47:16 PM
Quote from: Nor'easter on January 08, 2017, 06:10:47 PM

What I'm wondering is, if I apply to a certain NCSA, is it expected of me to follow through? Because I don't know yet what my summer schedule will look like, and which NCSAs will work and won't work. So if I discover that an NCSA I applied to will not work for me, will I be taking up anyone's spot? Will I be required to pay a fee for cancelling, is there a deposit I won't get back?

Cadet Cullen Mayes
GLR-WI-048

Life happens and plans change.  If you are selected as a primary for a certain NCSA and you are no longer able or interested in attending then you can decline the selection.  It is best that you do this as soon as possible after you are notified so another cadet will have a chance to fill your slot.

One thing you should not do is sign up for a bunch of NCSAs because you are trying to increase your odds at least getting one NCSA.  Only apply if you are serious about attending.

waukwiz

Quote from: kwe1009 on January 08, 2017, 07:27:50 PM
One thing you should not do is sign up for a bunch of NCSAs because you are trying to increase your odds at least getting one NCSA.  Only apply if you are serious about attending.

Well, that's basically what I'd intended to do.
The activities I have in mind are as follows, in order of preference:
1. PJOC
2. NESA
3. HMRS

If I apply to all three, get accepted to two, and only complete my registration to attend one, is any harm done? Am I bumping anyone from a list? Do I have any fundamental misconceptions about NCSAs?

I realize these are probably better questions for my 1Sgt, who has attended two NCSAs, but he doesn't like answering my texts.

Cadet Cullen Mayes

randomcadet1941

Quote from: waukwiz on January 08, 2017, 07:51:47 PM
If I apply to all three, get accepted to two, and only complete my registration to attend one, is any harm done? Am I bumping anyone from a list? Do I have any fundamental misconceptions about NCSAs?

No harm will be done as long as you notify the activity director ASAP. Most directors say in the email sent to primaries that if you can't attend, please let them know so that they can fill your slot. You won't be bumping anyone from the list because anyone who applies but isn't accepted is slotted as a primary is automatically assigned as an alternate, and if a primary (possibly you) can't attend, then an alternate will get assigned as a primary.

Spaceman3750

1. PJOC
2. NESA
3. HMRS

I realize these are probably better questions for my 1Sgt, who has attended two NCSAs, but he doesn't like answering my texts.

NESA has a separate application process in eServices and slots are not part of the competitive NCSA process. Please make sure you complete the NESA application if you wish to attend.

PHall

Can you apply to more then one NCSA? Yes.
Is it "fair" to attend more then one and deny other cadets the chance to go. In my opinion, no.
NOTE: This is my personal opinion. It may not match yours.

Offutteer

Quote from: PHall on January 09, 2017, 01:13:11 AM
Can you apply to more then one NCSA? Yes.
Is it "fair" to attend more then one and deny other cadets the chance to go. In my opinion, no.
NOTE: This is my personal opinion. It may not match yours.

Every cadet that applies by the deadline will receive a slot (if available) before anyone is slotted to two activities.  There have been activities that weren't fully booked. 

LATORRECA

No issues go ahead. Make sure you have the money to pay for it

Sent from my HTC Desire 530 using Tapatalk

KarolOpelski

Quote from: Spaceman3750 on January 08, 2017, 09:02:50 PM

1. PJOC
2. NESA
3. HMRS

NESA has a separate application process in eServices and slots are not part of the competitive NCSA process. Please make sure you complete the NESA application if you wish to attend.

What this also means is that you could get primary for NESA and another activity even if the dates overlap, so be sure to double check the dates.

NESA and HMRS overlap this year.