Multicam backpack for 24 hour pack?

Started by CaptainQantas, January 02, 2017, 11:09:42 PM

CaptainQantas

Hi, I'm wondering if it's acceptable to use my multicam packpack for my 24 hour pack? (with BDUs)

Eclipse

"That Others May Zoom"

kwe1009

Of course for SAR operations the name of the game is to be seen but like Eclipse said, any color is acceptable.

Storm Chaser

The preferred color in accordance with the Task Guide is red or orange.

RogueLeader

Quote from: CaptainQantas on January 02, 2017, 11:09:42 PM
    Hi, I'm wondering if it's acceptable to use my multicam packpack for my 24 hour pack? (with BDUs)

I'd also advise asking the GTL and/or GTM Skills evaluator says.  Some teams have standardized 24hr packs, so while yes, MultiCam is authorized by regulation, local decisions may vary.  I wouldn't buy gear until I check with local leadership.
WYWG DP

GRW 3340

Panzerbjorn

My Wing issued out surplus USMC MARPAT assault packs and rucks for use in ground team operations.  So, buy what works best for you.  Make sure the pack is comfortable and carries what you need.  Don't go crazy with the size of the pack.  The larger the pack, the more likely you're going to fill it with excess weight.
Major
Command Pilot
Ground Branch Director
Eagle Scout

Luis R. Ramos

Be careful with the gear. Some advice here implies that you can include in the pack individual items. However there are lists with approved items to carry depending on your qualifications.

There is one list for a Ground Team, 24 hours; another for a 5 day pack. There is another list for a Ground Team Leader. Yet another for an Urban Direction Team member; and another for a team.

Squadron Safety Officer
Squadron Communication Officer
Squadron Emergency Services Officer

Panzerbjorn

Absolutely you can include personal items that would be useful.  The list of items in the task list is not an "approved list of gear" that starts and ends with the items on that list.  Experience will teach what is useful and what is not.  The role you have out in the field will determine what specialized gear you should carry.  A GTL would have use for a map pouch or similar while a GTM would not have as much need to carry the same.

It just seems that the point needs to be made that items on the packing list for a 24-hour and 72-hour kit is not a 'only and nothing more' list.  It's perfectly appropriate to tailor your kit to the needs of the mission and your personal needs.
Major
Command Pilot
Ground Branch Director
Eagle Scout

Luis R. Ramos

Yet you are warned about "not taking more than the list has" lest you end up with unneeded items or those that may prevent you from focusing on the mission.

The role you have out in the field will determine what specialized gear you should carry.  A GTL would have use for a map pouch or similar while a GTM would not have as much need to carry the same.

This is not an example of "personal items that would be useful" in a search. It is more of a support for not taking personal items and keeping to the suggested list of items for a search.

;D

Squadron Safety Officer
Squadron Communication Officer
Squadron Emergency Services Officer