Interesting Year End Stats

Started by etodd, December 24, 2016, 03:56:51 AM

GaryVC

I an still wondering about "wondering." You think they would have proofread the chart.

SarDragon

Quote from: etodd on December 26, 2016, 04:06:04 PM
I've recruited 3 new Cadets to our Squadron in the last year, but want to take it up a notch. I'm working toward Commercial currently and hoping to get to CFI for the sole purpose of training Cadets as primary students. My way of 'giving back' and to help get more young folks interested in aviation.

Noble intention, but I'm not sure that a newly minted instructor is the best choice for training cadets. IMHO.

Quote from: etodd
The average CAP plane is not anywhere near getting the desired 200 hours per year. They are only being used 3-4 hours per week. That leaves quite a bit of time they could be used for training. But yes ... having enough willing CFIs is a key factor.

Really? CAWG manages to average right at 200 hrs/yr for its fleet, and it's in the top five in size. I think the other big wings also manage this.

As for the math, 4 hrs/wk * 52 weeks = 208, right on target.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

PHall

Quote from: SarDragon on December 26, 2016, 05:20:03 PM
I've recruited 3 new Cadets to our Squadron in the last year, but want to take it up a notch. I'm working toward Commercial currently and hoping to get to CFI for the sole purpose of training Cadets as primary students. My way of 'giving back' and to help get more young folks interested in aviation.

Noble intention, but I'm not sure that a newly minted instructor is the best choice for training cadets. IMHO.

The average CAP plane is not anywhere near getting the desired 200 hours per year. They are only being used 3-4 hours per week. That leaves quite a bit of time they could be used for training. But yes ... having enough willing CFIs is a key factor.

Really? CAWG manages to average right at 200 hrs/yr for its fleet, and it's in the top five in size. I think the other big wings also manage this.

As for the math, 4 hrs/wk * 52  50 weeks = 208 200, right on target.

You forgot the two weeks of downtime for maintenance and the Annual.  >:D

SarDragon

Meh. It's all about averages.

We've been averaging almost a month for our annuals. The 182 we used to have spent almost four months in maintenance last year, and barely made 100 hours, but we flew the 206 enough to still average close to 200 for both planes.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
C/WO, CAP, Ret

etodd

Quote from: PHall on December 26, 2016, 06:09:46 PM
Quote from: SarDragon on December 26, 2016, 05:20:03 PM

As for the math, 4 hrs/wk * 52  50 weeks = 208 200, right on target.

You forgot the two weeks of downtime for maintenance and the Annual.  >:D

3 hours a week ... 4 or 5 .... even 10 for the really busy Squadron ... still leaves a plane just sitting there the majority of the time.  Plenty of available time no matter how you figure it. Some Squadrons are interested, some are not. No big deal.

QuoteNoble intention, but I'm not sure that a newly minted instructor is the best choice for training cadets. IMHO.

Yeah ... but I'm a 975 hour pilot with over 30 years of mentoring students. I'm ready for the next step of officially being able to sign a logbook.  ;)
"Don't try to explain it, just bow your head
Breathe in, breathe out, move on ..."

SarDragon

Kool beans. Good to go.

Sent from my phone.

Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
C/WO, CAP, Ret