Where do I buy Abu's?

Started by aidan.ayotte, December 20, 2016, 06:16:04 AM

aidan.ayotte

I'm trying to keep my cost down and my size is a 34 or 36 regular. I already have the shirt because of some volunteer work that I did for CAP but, I HAVE NO IDEA WHERE TO BUY THESE THINGS like the cover and the extra patches for the new uniforms and pants. If you guys could help me out it would be much appreciated!

County

https://www.vanguardmil.com/collections/cap-abu-uniform

Also look under the section for Civil Air Patrol and find all needed insignia and patches.
TSgt

Jester

eBay is an option as well. Are you near an AF base?

kwe1009

Honestly let Google be your friend.  There are a number of places to buy them from and none are cheap unless you get lucky and find your size on eBay.  If you want a cheap and comfortable uniform stick with BDUs.  If you want to spend a lot of money and not be comfortable then go with ABUs.

Eclipse

Quote from: aidan.ayotte on December 20, 2016, 06:16:04 AMI HAVE NO IDEA WHERE TO BUY THESE THINGS like the cover and the extra patches for the new uniforms and pants.

Also, these are the kinds of questions that your flight leadership / squadron leadership should be helping you with first and foremost.

Ask them - they may have uniform stock to issue you, local sources, or both.

As a new member, the only thing you actually need are nametapes, the rest will be after you've participated for a while.

That's good advice about the BDUs as well.

"That Others May Zoom"

xray328

Don't buy uniforms from Vanguard if you can help it, their BDU's fade ridiculously fast.  I haven't had any of their ABU's but I'd stay away. I suggest you get GI off eBay or buy "Propper" brand. The official usaf ones are all over eBay for $19.99 each.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Eclipse

Quote from: xray328 on December 20, 2016, 05:23:17 PM
Don't buy uniforms from Vanguard if you can help it, their BDU's fade ridiculously fast.

Has anyone seen a tag on VG source ABUs?  Where are they coming from?

"That Others May Zoom"

NIN

The DR

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Darin Ninness, Col, CAP
I have no responsibilities whatsoever
I like to have Difficult Adult Conversations™
The contents of this post are Copyright © 2007-2024 by NIN. All rights are reserved. Specific permission is given to quote this post here on CAP-Talk only.

Eclipse

"That Others May Zoom"

NIN

There's no requirement for our uniforms to be Berry Act-compliant since they are not furnished by the government.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Darin Ninness, Col, CAP
I have no responsibilities whatsoever
I like to have Difficult Adult Conversations™
The contents of this post are Copyright © 2007-2024 by NIN. All rights are reserved. Specific permission is given to quote this post here on CAP-Talk only.

Eclipse

Quote from: NIN on December 20, 2016, 10:14:46 PM
There's no requirement for our uniforms to be Berry Act-compliant since they are not furnished by the government.

No, I suppose not, but would it really have been so hard to just stock Propper or even Rothco instead of nickel and dining
members with DR stuff?

I'd expect DR stuff off eBay at requisite prices.  VG's are cheaper then proper, but also likely to wear quicker as well.

Has anyone compared the colors and patterns?  People used to give The Hock grief for their oddly colored off-brand BDUs.

"That Others May Zoom"

xray328

Sorry, DR?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DakRadz

Spam

Quote from: Eclipse on December 20, 2016, 10:29:42 PM
Quote from: NIN on December 20, 2016, 10:14:46 PM

No, I suppose not, but would it really have been so hard to just stock Propper or even Rothco instead of nickel and dining
members with DR stuff?

I'd expect DR stuff off eBay at requisite prices.  VG's are cheaper then proper, but also likely to wear quicker as well.

Has anyone compared the colors and patterns?  People used to give The Hock grief for their oddly colored off-brand BDUs.

... Why would you care about appearance and quality, if you're going to "authorize" the wear of cheap NFL and Hello Kitty jackets over them?

Tee hee. Could not resist.
Spam

docrameous

Quote from: xray328 on December 20, 2016, 05:23:17 PM
Don't buy uniforms from Vanguard if you can help it, their BDU's fade ridiculously fast.  I haven't had any of their ABU's but I'd stay away. I suggest you get GI off eBay or buy "Propper" brand. The official usaf ones are all over eBay for $19.99 each.

I will never ever buy ABU/BDUs from Vanguard again. The seam in my BDUs under my arm fell apart after two washings.

I only get the things I have to get from Vanguard (i.e. insignia).  I really wished Vanguard had some healthy competition on CAP stuff.

Eclipse

Quote from: Spam on December 21, 2016, 12:46:31 AM
... Why would you care about appearance and quality, if you're going to "authorize" the wear of cheap NFL and Hello Kitty jackets over them?

A good point, but for clarification, both the NFL and Sanrio have quality standards, not to mention actual specifications.

"That Others May Zoom"

aidan.ayotte

Alright guys thank you all for your help. I think that I'm going to go with the proper uniform because I can't seem to find my size on eBay and I don't really trust them anyway.