How do you put those garters on?

Started by Yochanan, December 18, 2016, 10:26:46 PM

Yochanan

I ordered 2 pairs from Vanguard. The clips aren't like anything that I have seen before. What do they attach to? They're designed like they are supposed to go on something that also has holes. Do I make holes in the socks?

Eclipse

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZeL8mbT9VS8

I usually attach them to the shirt while it is still on the hanger and I'm doing insignia, epaulet sleeves, etc.

"That Others May Zoom"

Jester

I sew buttons on my shirt tail where the clips would go. Then I get rid of the plastic piece of the clip. The remaining metal piece I loop over the button. For a little extra hold I add a little black rubber hair band.

xray328

The ones I have don't clip to your socks.  They have loops that you step on/in to. One less thing to worry about.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Brad

Quote from: xray328 on December 19, 2016, 04:29:47 AM
The ones I have don't clip to your socks.  They have loops that you step on/in to. One less thing to worry about.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Much prefer those myself as well. Plus I've found the quality tends to be better.
Brad Lee
Maj, CAP
Assistant Deputy Chief of Staff, Communications
Mid-Atlantic Region
K4RMN

KASSRCrashResearch

You put them on in any way that *when* they come loose, you don't start singing falsetto.   LOL

As XRay said, spring for the ones with the foot loops.  Your groin will thank you.
I have complete faith in the continued absurdity of what ever is going on.

Shuman 14

Quote from: KASSRCrashResearch on December 29, 2016, 01:01:56 PM
You put them on in any way that *when* they come loose, you don't start singing falsetto.   LOL

As XRay said, spring for the ones with the foot loops.  Your groin will thank you.

But then your socks can fall down.
Joseph J. Clune
Lieutenant Colonel, Military Police

USMCR: 1990 - 1992                           USAR: 1993 - 1998, 2000 - 2003, 2005 - Present     CAP: 2013 - 2014, 2021 - Present
INARNG: 1992 - 1993, 1998 - 2000      Active Army: 2003 - 2005                                       USCGAux: 2004 - Present

THRAWN

Meh. Never wore 'em, never had an issue. I did use the "hidden tailor" which is a grippy strip you put inside the waistband that keeps your shirt from travelling.
Strup-"Belligerent....at times...."
AFRCC SMC 10-97
NSS ISC 05-00
USAF SOS 2000
USAF ACSC 2011
US NWC 2016
USMC CSCDEP 2023

KASSRCrashResearch

Quote from: shuman14 on December 29, 2016, 01:07:32 PM
Quote from: KASSRCrashResearch on December 29, 2016, 01:01:56 PM

But then your socks can fall down.

If you have a problem with your socks falling down and are not a Gallus gallus domesticus, then you need to buy new socks to replace ones that are worn out or ones in an appropriate size.  LOL
I have complete faith in the continued absurdity of what ever is going on.

MHC5096

I wore those things for years as a cadet (CAP/NJROTC) and later in the Navy and Air Force. About 15 years ago I switched over to the "Hidden Tailor" that THRAWN mentioned and don't regret the change. Its much more comfortable to wear and I don't have to worry about one of the garters snapping loose.
Mark H. Crary
Lt Col, CAP (1990-Present)
DDC-P, CGAUX (2011-Present)
MSgt, USAF (1995-2011)
QM2, USN (1989-1995)

stillamarine

I wear a hidden tailor every day at work. Love it. I usually forget I have it on and remember when I start getting undressed at home lol. Seriously best investment ever. Keeps my shirt tight even with getting up and down all day from my desk.
Tim Gardiner, 1st LT, CAP

USMC AD 1996-2001
USMCR    2001-2005  Admiral, Great State of Nebraska Navy  MS, MO, UDF
tim.gardiner@gmail.com

MHC5096

I do the exact same thing. Even on a casual day with a polo shirt.  :)
Mark H. Crary
Lt Col, CAP (1990-Present)
DDC-P, CGAUX (2011-Present)
MSgt, USAF (1995-2011)
QM2, USN (1989-1995)

THRAWN

Strup-"Belligerent....at times...."
AFRCC SMC 10-97
NSS ISC 05-00
USAF SOS 2000
USAF ACSC 2011
US NWC 2016
USMC CSCDEP 2023

Eclipse

"That Others May Zoom"

Luis R. Ramos

I guess women are not wearing as much hose nowadays, so the company that made those for women figured out turning the garters over and market them for those needing shirts to stay inside and tight...

:P
Squadron Safety Officer
Squadron Communication Officer
Squadron Emergency Services Officer

Майор Хаткевич

Al Sayre

And on the plus side, when one of the straps pops off, you don't get hit in the nether regions...
Lt Col Al Sayre
MS Wing Staff Dude
Admiral, Great Navy of the State of Nebraska
GRW #2787

Jester

I wonder how bad the thigh wraparound rides up in actual use.

CAPLTC

Unless you're serving on an honor guard, shirt garters are just plain weird.
"Find the enemy that wants to end this experiment (in American democracy) and kill every one of them until they're so sick of the killing that they leave us and our freedoms intact." -- SECDEF Mattis

Eclipse

Quote from: CAPLTC on March 03, 2017, 12:15:08 AM
Unless you're serving on an honor guard, shirt garters are just plain weird.
Weird?  Feel free to elaborate.

They hold your shirt down so you don't look like you just rolled out of the dryer.

And there are a LOT of people in CAP who should be wearing them and don't, especially with whites.

"That Others May Zoom"