BDU Jackets problem: the tab

Started by Yochanan, December 02, 2016, 11:46:26 PM

Yochanan

From the Vanguard site I had bought a gortex jacket, and one NCO tab as well. It lacked the button strap on the front for the tab (like in this image: http://capblog.typepad.com/capblog/images/parka_1.jpg). What do I do? My dad, who used to be a senior in the Civil Air Patrol, believes that I was supposed to get two of them and the the epaulets are where I'm supposed to put the tabs if I get the second one (he's also the male equivalent of a cougar to my mother and what appears to be senility shows sometimes).

Eclipse

The Goretx jaclet use the tab, if there isn't' one on there, you'll have to either return the jacket or make a tab from
similar color cloth - be warned, sewing Gore-Tex may impact it's water resistance.

The M-65 style BDU coat has shoulder epaulets and in that case you sew to grade insignia to the epaulets.

The "CAP" "cloth cutout is no longer worn, and the flag is gone at the end of the month.

See CAPM 39-1, Page 81.
http://www.capmembers.com/media/cms/M391_E6F33EAAEC28A.pdf

"That Others May Zoom"

RogueLeader

If you bought the M-65 Field Jacket (has 4 pockets on the front and epaulets,) as opposed the the Gortex Jacket (2 pockets, water resistant and no epaulets,) you don't use the tabs at all. 

If you truly bought the Gortex, and it doesn't have the tab, call Vanguard and ask for a replacement due to mismanufacture.
WYWG DP

GRW 3340

Yochanan

Damron

Quote from: Yochanan on December 02, 2016, 11:46:26 PM
...senility shows sometimes.

Not this time, I think he's rights  I think you bought a BDU Field Jacket, not a Woodland Goretex Jacket.  I'm don't think Vanguard sells the Woodland Goretex Jacket. 

See 39-1 (https://www.capmembers.com/media/cms/M391_E6F33EAAEC28A.pdf) for proper wear for each.

A.Member

From the Vanguard site I had bought a gortex jacket, and one NCO tab as well. It lacked the button strap on the front for the tab (like in this image: http://capblog.typepad.com/capblog/images/parka_1.jpg). What do I do? My dad, who used to be a senior in the Civil Air Patrol, believes that I was supposed to get two of them and the the epaulets are where I'm supposed to put the tabs if I get the second one (he's also the male equivalent of a cougar to my mother and what appears to be senility shows sometimes).
Was this a recent purchase?  Why would you buy the BDU gortex when we're moving to the ABU?
"For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards, for there you have been and there you will long to return."

Damron

Quote from: A.Member on December 03, 2016, 12:28:30 AM
Was this a recent purchase?  Why would you buy the BDU gortex when we're moving to the ABU?

The BDU Field Jacket and Woodland Goretex Jacket can be worn with ABU until June 2018 and with the BDU until June 2021.   Doesn't seem like an unreasonable purchase to me.

xray328

Bigger question is why would you buy either one new...from Vanguard?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Damron

Quote from: xray328 on December 03, 2016, 01:25:04 AM

$86.40 and it just doesn't look like it has the bulk and insulation of surplus M65 jackets.   

PHall

Quote from: Damron on December 05, 2016, 04:00:15 AM

$86.40 and it just doesn't look like it has the bulk and insulation of surplus M65 jackets.

The M65 is not that thick actually. But add a Field Jacket Liner and it is.

Damron

Quote from: PHall on December 05, 2016, 05:12:37 AM
Quote from: Damron on December 05, 2016, 04:00:15 AM

The M65 is not that thick actually. But add a Field Jacket Liner and it is.

I assumed mine was an M65, it has the built-in hood, but it appears thicker without the optional liner. 

I'll take a look at the label. I recall it reads something like, "Cold Weather Jacket, Woodland Pattern, NATO standard".  Whatever it is, it's very popular in CAP and I love it.