Main Menu

General Mattis for SecDef

Started by USACAP, December 02, 2016, 02:05:34 AM

USACAP

This is the best news for/about DoD I have heard in years.
:clap:

raivo

CAP Member, 2000-20??
USAF Officer, 2009-2018
Recipient of a Mitchell Award Of Irrelevant Number

"No combat-ready unit has ever passed inspection. No inspection-ready unit has ever survived combat."

Alaric

Can we please keep Non-CAP politics out of CAPTALK

Spam

This topic is completely relevant to CAP, inasmuch as DoD is our prime customer, and this is a legitimate discussion topic as it bears on the overall strategic direction of same. It is thus not "Non-CAP". It is also no more or less political than most of the other threads on Captalk dealing with internal CAP favoritism, FW&A, etc. including numerous threads discussing policies of Gates, Rumsfeld, et al, civilly for the most part.  If we avoid descending into party politics, this is a legit thread (i.e. don't start slamming any of the in or out of power parties).

His selection is entirely a game changer for OSD, for our USAF customer, and by extension for CAP, as he takes charge to work on behalf of the best interests of the Unites States of America. So, Game on - keep it civil - but, I would throw out there: looking forward, how do we think Mattis would impact CAP, in the long run?

V/r
Spam

Alaric

Quote from: Spam on December 02, 2016, 02:16:02 PM
This topic is completely relevant to CAP, inasmuch as DoD is our prime customer, and this is a legitimate discussion topic as it bears on the overall strategic direction of same. It is thus not "Non-CAP". It is also no more or less political than most of the other threads on Captalk dealing with internal CAP favoritism, FW&A, etc. including numerous threads discussing policies of Gates, Rumsfeld, et al, civilly for the most part.  If we avoid descending into party politics, this is a legit thread (i.e. don't start slamming any of the in or out of power parties).

His selection is entirely a game changer for OSD, for our USAF customer, and by extension for CAP, as he takes charge to work on behalf of the best interests of the Unites States of America. So, Game on - keep it civil - but, I would throw out there: looking forward, how do we think Mattis would impact CAP, in the long run?

V/r
Spam

I disagree that it is relevant to CAP, as he has not been appointed yet, nor confirmed.  If that happens, maybe it will be relevant.

Spam

Quote from: Alaric on December 02, 2016, 02:27:41 PM

V/r
Spam

I disagree that it is relevant to CAP, as he has not been appointed yet, nor confirmed.  If that happens, maybe it will be relevant.

So, you disapprove of discussion of hypotheticals and would shut down debate, then? Well, that would cut Captalk thread count by about seventy percent!

V/r
Spam

Alaric

Quote from: Spam on December 02, 2016, 02:37:10 PM

V/r
Spam

So, you disapprove of discussion of hypotheticals and would shut down debate, then? Well, that would cut Captalk thread count by about seventy percent!

V/r
Spam

I think there are enough real existing issues that effect CAP to discuss

stillamarine

Quote from: Alaric on December 02, 2016, 02:53:06 PM
Quote from: Spam on December 02, 2016, 02:37:10 PM

V/r
Spam

V/r
Spam

I think there are enough real existing issues that effect CAP to discuss

So feel free to discuss them in those threads. Luckily we still live in a free country and you have the freedom to not open this thread. Maybe the Cadet Rhodey Rhodes thread is more CAP related for your.  :o
Tim Gardiner, 1st LT, CAP

USMC AD 1996-2001
USMCR    2001-2005  Admiral, Great State of Nebraska Navy  MS, MO, UDF
tim.gardiner@gmail.com

Holding Pattern

All I'm going to say is that I thought that the duffelblog article was inspired.

Storm Chaser

I think General Mattis is a great choice for Secretary of Defense, if he can get a waiver. If not, I'm sure the government could benefit from his qualifications and experience in other much needed areas.

Live2Learn

Any insights on his views of volunteer assets?  What little I've seen of his vitae don't show much interaction with CAP, the Coast Guard Aux, etc., Naval Sea Cadets, etc., etc., etc...

A.Member

From everything I read and hear about him, including those that have met and served with him personally, he's a tremendous choice.  He's unquestionably dedicated to this country and a smart, strong, experienced (BTDT), straight-talking (no BS), highly-professional leader.  He's exactly what we need in a SECDEF.

An example of his leadership, for those not familiar (also a good leadership story for cadets):
A General Mattis Christmas Story
Quote from: Stars & StripesThe Doctor was able to find out what happened from retired Marine Gen. Charles Krulak, who was commandant when the story took place.  Every Christmas during his tenure, Krulak delivered cookies to every Marine duty post around Washington and Quantico, Va.

Back in 1998, he was making his final delivery to Marine Corps Combat Development Command headquarters at Quantico when he asked the Marine on duty who the officer of the day was.

"The young Marine said, 'Sir, it's Brigadier General Mattis.'"

Krulak thought the Marine had misunderstood him, so he asked again, but he got the same answer.

"I looked around the duty hut and in the back, there were two cots: One for the officer of the day and one for young Marine. I said, 'OK, let me cut through all of this: Who was the officer who slept in that bed last night?'

"And the Marine said, 'Sir, Brigadier General Mattis.'"

At that moment, Mattis walked around the corner.

"So I said to him, 'Jim, what are you standing the duty for?' "And he said, 'Sir, I looked at the duty roster for today and there was a young major who had it who is married and had a family; and so I'm a bachelor, I thought why should the major miss out on the fun of having Christmas with his family, and so I took the duty for him.' "

Never before or since has Krulak run into a general officer standing duty on Christmas Day.

"I think it says volumes about Jim Mattis and his leadership style," Krulak said. "He did it very unobtrusively. He just took the duty."

Solid.
"For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards, for there you have been and there you will long to return."

Fubar

I have a hard time imagining anyone at this level of the DoD having in impact on CAP. We're too far "in the weeds" for an executive to be worried about us.

That said, we seem to have really found a friend in the Secretary of the Air Force. That's the position we should be worried about.

stillamarine

Quote from: A.Member on December 02, 2016, 06:56:46 PM
From everything I read and hear about him, including those that have met and served with him personally, he's a tremendous choice.  He's unquestionably dedicated to this country and a smart, strong, experienced (BTDT), straight-talking (no BS), highly-professional leader.  He's exactly what we need in a SECDEF.

An example of his leadership, for those not familiar (also a good leadership story for cadets):
A General Mattis Christmas Story
Quote from: Stars & StripesThe Doctor was able to find out what happened from retired Marine Gen. Charles Krulak, who was commandant when the story took place.  Every Christmas during his tenure, Krulak delivered cookies to every Marine duty post around Washington and Quantico, Va.

Back in 1998, he was making his final delivery to Marine Corps Combat Development Command headquarters at Quantico when he asked the Marine on duty who the officer of the day was.

"The young Marine said, 'Sir, it's Brigadier General Mattis.'"

Krulak thought the Marine had misunderstood him, so he asked again, but he got the same answer.

"I looked around the duty hut and in the back, there were two cots: One for the officer of the day and one for young Marine. I said, 'OK, let me cut through all of this: Who was the officer who slept in that bed last night?'

"And the Marine said, 'Sir, Brigadier General Mattis.'"

At that moment, Mattis walked around the corner.

"So I said to him, 'Jim, what are you standing the duty for?' "And he said, 'Sir, I looked at the duty roster for today and there was a young major who had it who is married and had a family; and so I'm a bachelor, I thought why should the major miss out on the fun of having Christmas with his family, and so I took the duty for him.' "

Never before or since has Krulak run into a general officer standing duty on Christmas Day.

"I think it says volumes about Jim Mattis and his leadership style," Krulak said. "He did it very unobtrusively. He just took the duty."

Solid.

True story. I heard it from Gen Krulak more than once. He was President of a local college here and we shared lunch quite a few times, even if I was just a LCpl when he was CMC. Krulak is another example of an amazing leader, well loved by his Marines.

USMC AD 1996-2001
tim.gardiner@gmail.com

A.Member

Quote from: Fubar on December 02, 2016, 08:20:38 PM
I have a hard time imagining anyone at this level of the DoD having in impact on CAP. We're too far "in the weeds" for an executive to be worried about us.

That said, we seem to have really found a friend in the Secretary of the Air Force. That's the position we should be worried about.
Concur.  He will not have a direct impact on CAP and likely doesn't know anything about us.  Where he will have an indirect impact is opening the funding spigot and general support of DoD programs.  SECAF supports the inclusion of CAP in the Total Force approach.  Those two factors provide optimism for continued strong support and maybe even some new possibilities for CAP (definitely needed).
"For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards, for there you have been and there you will long to return."

stillamarine

Quote from: A.Member on December 02, 2016, 08:36:42 PM
Quote from: Fubar on December 02, 2016, 08:20:38 PM

Concur.  He will not have a direct impact on CAP and likely doesn't know anything about us.  Where he will have an indirect impact is opening the funding spigot and general support of programs.  SECAF supports the inclusion of CAP in the Total Force approach.  Those two factors provide optimism for continued strong support and maybe even some new possibilities for the organization (definitely needed).

If he finds out about CAP he'll probably put Air to Air missiles on our Cessnas and put CAPSOC under SOCOM.  >:D >:D >:D

USMC AD 1996-2001
tim.gardiner@gmail.com

CAPDCCMOM

^^^^^^OOO-RAH.....Love it!!!!!!!!!!! Encampments could get so much more interesting. R. Lee Emry as CP Director >:D 8)

Luis R. Ramos

Alaric, how many months were wasted discussing the possibility of us getting the ABU before we were finally given the go ahead by the US Air Force?

How many years have been wasted by the membership discussing whether we are ever getting a flight cap, or any other hat for the gray uniform?!!!

How many months have members discussed (wasted?) about getting the green boots for the ABUs, even after the Air Force said black boots only?

If you feel that strong about not discussing Mattis, did you ever presented any of these topics? Or engaged in those discussions?
Squadron Safety Officer
Squadron Communication Officer
Squadron Emergency Services Officer

Flying Pig

The wavering issue is waived by Congress.  We have a Republican President, House and Senate.  He will get his waiver. 

NIN

Quote from: Live2Learn on December 02, 2016, 06:45:25 PM
Any insights on his views of volunteer assets?  What little I've seen of his vitae don't show much interaction with CAP, the Coast Guard Aux, etc., Naval Sea Cadets, etc., etc., etc...

General Mattis is a student of the military arts. He reads quite a bit, and is well spoken and well informed on topics.

By all accounts, he's the kind of high-level leader that doesn't need tons of interaction to be able to grasp what kind of "force multiplier" that CAP can be if he gets a good brief on the kinds of missions we're doing.   He didn't need a ton of interaction with, say, Marine Aviation (as a ground pounder) to "get" what it does for him as a combatant commander.

Volunteer or not, CAP is an asset, an arrow in the Air Force's quiver.  Much like Secretary Carter's memo in November, there is knowledge and understanding of Civil Air Patrol at the Secretary-level in DoD.  After meeting Secretary James last night and hearing her speak, I have no doubt that CAP's capabilities and assets are part of any number of briefings not only in DAF, but DoD.
Darin Ninness, Col, CAP
I have no responsibilities whatsoever
I like to have Difficult Adult Conversations™
The contents of this post are Copyright © 2007-2024 by NIN. All rights are reserved. Specific permission is given to quote this post here on CAP-Talk only.