Mounting miniature medals

Started by GaryVC, November 30, 2016, 05:12:24 PM

GaryVC

I was in the Air Force for 20 years and I recall that mounting miniature medals was always a pain. They have changed the design since I last bought them to supposedly fit on a ribbon bar. However, I have found it very difficult to slide them on to the flat brass ribbon bar I had previously used. Do either the plastic ribbon bars or the metal ones that resemble them work any better? Any other suggestions?

Pylon

Quote from: GaryVC on November 30, 2016, 05:12:24 PMAny other suggestions?

I can't help with the self-mounting part, but as for other suggestions, I had UltraThin mount my CAP and military miniature medals a few years back and they are flawless. Really well done. Of course, it depends on whether paying the premium is worth not dealing with the hassle of mounting them yourself.
Michael F. Kieloch, Maj, CAP

LSThiker

Quote from: Pylon on November 30, 2016, 05:43:19 PM

I can't help with the self-mounting part, but as for other suggestions, I had UltraThin mount my CAP and military miniature medals a few years back and they are flawless. Really well done. Of course, it depends on whether paying the premium is worth not dealing with the hassle of mounting them yourself.

How much did it cost you?  How many medals?  I am thinking about doing that to make a nice looking set.

Pylon

Quote from: LSThiker on November 30, 2016, 05:52:35 PM

How much did it cost you?  How many medals?  I am thinking about doing that to make a nice looking set.

Here's my post from 2012 with details on the options, cost, and photos of how they turned out:
http://captalk.net/index.php?topic=15008.msg270243#msg270243

Michael F. Kieloch, Maj, CAP

kwe1009

If you buy the miniature medal mounts it is pretty easy.

GaryVC

Quote from: kwe1009 on November 30, 2016, 06:29:36 PM
Please explain what they look like. Are they the metal mounts with the wide spacing? Are they the same as the ribbon mounts of the same type?

CyBorgII

Before I was exiled from CAP, I used to use magnetic mounts on my ribbon rack and nameplate from Mil-Thin.  I highly recommend it.

However, never having owned mess dress, I am not sure if the magnets would be powerful enough to hold through the fabric of mess dress, or even if magnetic mounts are available for miniature medals.
Whaddaya mean I ain't kind?  I'm just not YOUR kind!

Ex-CAP Captain, now CG Auxiliary, but still feel a great deal of affection for the many good people in CAP.

kwe1009

Quote from: GaryVC on November 30, 2016, 07:11:32 PM
Quote from: kwe1009 on November 30, 2016, 06:29:36 PM
Please explain what they look like. Are they the metal mounts with the wide spacing? Are they the same as the ribbon mounts of the same type?

https://www.vanguardmil.com/collections/ribbons-medals-mounting-bars/miniature

goblin

Quote from: CyBorgII on November 30, 2016, 07:27:50 PM
Before I was exiled from CAP....

Definitely adds to the credibility of the post.

ThatOneGuy

Quote from: CyBorgII on November 30, 2016, 07:27:50 PM
Before I was exiled from CAP...

The Borg returns.. :(  I thought this guy was banned lol

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

GaryVC

While I have never had miniature medals professionally mounted, I did do it a few times with my ribbons when I was in the Air Force. The problem is that if you get another ribbon (or in some cases another device on them) the professional job is useless because it is sealed and can't be modified.