Velco name and branch tape

Started by RNOfficer, November 29, 2016, 09:07:46 PM

RNOfficer

Can the name and branch tape be attached to the ACU with VELCRO under the new regulations?

I have to pay to have tapes sewn ($4) EACH) and when tapes change (remember US Civil Air Patrol?) it would be thriftier if I could just Velcro the new one on.

TIA

Eclipse

1 - No.

2 - What makes you think they are going to change?

If you put dark blue w/ silver on now, you're going to be good well into the 2020s.

"That Others May Zoom"

jeders

Quote from: RNOfficer on November 29, 2016, 09:07:46 PM
Can the name and branch tape be attached to the ACU with VELCRO under the new regulations?

Also, just to ensure clarity, we wear the ABU, not the ACU.
If you are confident in you abilities and experience, whether someone else is impressed is irrelevant. - Eclipse

THRAWN

Ugh. Again with the velcro. I realize that there seems to be some kind of misconception about how much easier and fun it would be to slap on the insignia and go.

Wrong.

The last day in the ACU was one of my fondest memory of wearing it. Strike that. It is my only fond memory of wearing it. Nothing says "curse you ACU" better than realizing that your nametape is stuck to your seatbelt and not on you as the boss is walking in.

I would rather shave my eyeballs than wear velcro. It's not even allowed in my house. Spend a few bucks, buy a sewing machine and forget about velcroing on your insignia.
Strup-"Belligerent....at times...."
AFRCC SMC 10-97
NSS ISC 05-00
USAF SOS 2000
USAF ACSC 2011
US NWC 2016
USMC CSCDEP 2023

RNOfficer

Quote from: Eclipse on November 29, 2016, 09:09:45 PM

If you put dark blue w/ silver on now, you're going to be good well into the 2020s.

That's what they said about "US Civil Air Patrol".

Damron

Quote from: THRAWN on November 29, 2016, 09:33:47 PM
Ugh. Again with the velcro. I realize that there seems to be some kind of misconception about how much easier and fun it would be to slap on the insignia and go.

Wrong.

The last day in the ACU was one of my fondest memory of wearing it. Strike that. It is my only fond memory of wearing it. Nothing says "curse you ACU" better than realizing that your nametape is stuck to your seatbelt and not on you as the boss is walking in.

I would rather shave my eyeballs than wear velcro. It's not even allowed in my house. Spend a few bucks, buy a sewing machine and forget about velcroing on your insignia.

Can I trust you won't reveal that my tapes are sewn to my fleece jackets? 

Eclipse

Quote from: RNOfficer on November 29, 2016, 09:42:19 PM

And how many times did you have to change your tapes to support that?  As a matter of fact, it was never actually
required to change, and a lot of members never did.

The mandatory wear date for the "US CAP" tapes, as implemented in Mar 2007, was 1 March 2010, which
by coincidence, was also the mandatory phase-out date back to just "CAP".

"That Others May Zoom"

abdsp51

Quote from: Damron on November 29, 2016, 09:43:23 PM

I hope this is not legit as it would a direct violation of 39-1.

Damron

Quote from: abdsp51 on November 30, 2016, 12:33:10 AM

Direct violation or literal interpretation? My tapes are "mounted on black Velcro" per 39-1.  They are also sewn.

abdsp51

Quote from: Damron on November 30, 2016, 05:06:11 AM

Direct violation or literal interpretation? My tapes are "mounted on black Velcro" per 39-1.  They are also sewn.

Are you able to remove them without the use of a sharp implement?  If so then yes direct violation. 

Damron

Quote from: abdsp51 on November 30, 2016, 05:24:35 AM

Are you able to remove them without the use of a sharp implement?  If so then yes direct violation.

Please provide the source for your interpretation.   39-1 does not provide that level of detail, it doesn't prohibit an additional means of attachment or say they must be removable.   

Sometimes when CAP copies portions of  AF uniform regs, the original AF context and justification is lost.

The AF rationale behind the Velcro is to allow the fleece to be used naked as an APECS liner or dressed up as an outer garment. I don't know why having tapes and grade not affixed when used as a liner is a big deal.

abdsp51

Quote from: Damron on November 30, 2016, 05:59:58 AM
Quote from: abdsp51 on November 30, 2016, 05:24:35 AM

Please provide the source for your interpretation.   39-1 does not provide that level of detail, it doesn't prohibit an additional means of attachment or say they must be removable.   

Sometimes when CAP copies portions of  AF uniform regs, the original AF context and justification is lost.

I think the AF rationale behind the Velcro is to allow the fleece to be used naked as an APECS liner or dressed up as an outer garment.

It's implied.  If the tapes were meant to be permantly sewn down it would say so.  The manual says what you may do if it doesn't say it you don't do it.  But I shouldn't have to tell a Sq CC that.  Stellar example...

Damron

Quote from: abdsp51 on November 30, 2016, 06:44:52 AM
The manual says what you may do if it doesn't say it you don't do it. 

I guess you have a problem with blousing bands and sewn-down pockets too? 

My secondary means of attachment improves the appearance of my uniform and is virtually undetectable.  I don't promote this technique in my unit for fear of poor results and appearance if a professional seamstress or tailor is not used.

As far as the appearance of my uniform, I strive to be a stellar example.   

abdsp51

Quote from: Damron on November 30, 2016, 02:07:20 PM
Quote from: abdsp51 on November 30, 2016, 06:44:52 AM
The manual says what you may do if it doesn't say it you don't do it. 

I guess you have a problem with blousing bands and sewn-down pockets too? 

My secondary means of attachment improves the appearance of my uniform and is virtually undetectable.  I don't promote this technique in my unit for fear of poor results and appearance if a professional seamstress or tailor is not used.

As far as the appearance of my uniform, I strive to be a stellar example.   

Straw man argument.  And apples to oranges. 

Angus

Quote from: RNOfficer on November 29, 2016, 09:42:19 PM
Quote from: Eclipse on November 29, 2016, 09:09:45 PM

I don't think we're going to have another National Commander like HWSNBN again.  That was all to support his trying to distinguish us from the Civil Air Patrol's in other countries.
Maj. Richard J. Walsh, Jr.
Director Education & Training MAWG 
 Gill Robb Wilson #4030

Damron

It's not a straw-man argument to provide examples where 39-1 is commonly interpreted. Using your standard, 39-1 doesn't address blousing bands, so they must be prohibited.  How about sewing down unused pockets? 39-1 is silent on the matter.

Heck, I don't think 39-1 even describes how patches and embroidered items should be affixed to a uniform.  They describe the location of these items, the desired appearance. 

When interpreting any regulation, the goal of that regulation should be considered above all else.  If my secondary means of attachment was visible and did not support a uniform appearance, I wouldn't have used  it.  My fleece looks perfect, that matters to me.   

abdsp51

Quote from: Damron on November 30, 2016, 02:37:33 PM
It's not a straw-man argument to provide examples where 39-1 is commonly interpreted. Using your standard, 39-1 doesn't address blousing bands, so they must be prohibited.  How about sewing down unused pockets? 39-1 is silent on the matter.

Heck, I don't think 39-1 even describes how patches and embroidered items should be affixed to a uniform.  They describe the location of these items, the desired appearance. 

When interpreting any regulation, the goal of that regulation should be considered above all else.  If my secondary means of attachment was visible and did not support a uniform appearance, I wouldn't have used  it.  My fleece looks perfect, that matters to me.

So again as long as YOU look good, forget the rules and regulations got it.  Please stay away from my wing...

Damron

Quote from: abdsp51 on November 30, 2016, 02:47:07 PM
Please stay away from my wing...
Can you be more specific?  I'm curious what wing has to deal with your pedantic crap.

abdsp51

Quote from: Damron on November 30, 2016, 03:00:02 PM
Quote from: abdsp51 on November 30, 2016, 02:47:07 PM
Please stay away from my wing...
Can you be more specific?  I'm curious what wing has to deal with your pedantic crap.

One that plays by the rules.  Again you show exactly the example you set.  Keep breaking regs...

Damron

Quote from: abdsp51 on November 30, 2016, 03:07:21 PM

One that plays by the rules.  Again you show exactly the example you set.  Keep breaking regs...

You act like you are the sole arbiter on the matter.   Keep ending sentences in ellipses ...

Pylon

Be civil, professional, and polite or get out. No need for the holier than thou attitudes. Thanks.
Michael F. Kieloch, Maj, CAP