Blue Flight Jacket Color

Started by Damron, November 27, 2016, 06:58:53 PM

Damron

In 39-1, Figure 6.6, page 80, what color is represented by the jacket on the right? It looks like the color commonly known as Navy (not Navy Blue) which is a shade of teal.

https://www.capmembers.com/media/cms/M391_E6F33EAAEC28A.pdf#page=80

Eclipse

HEX: 0x4A3001
RGB:  1,48,74
CMYK: 29,11,0,71

"That Others May Zoom"

Damron

Quote from: Eclipse on November 27, 2016, 07:08:01 PM
RGB 1, 48, 74

Did you just sample that with Photoshop or is that part of a regulation?  Just sampling 39-1 will lead to some wild results.

Eclipse

Sampled direct from the image, which I will grant is useless.

There is no regulatory definition of any of the CAP corporate uniform colors.

Neither of the images actually matches a color one would find on a flight jacket, and I agree the
one on the right is leaning toward teal.

"That Others May Zoom"

Damron

Quote from: Eclipse on November 27, 2016, 07:11:25 PM
Sampled direct from the image, which I will grant is useless.

There is no regulatory definition of any of the CAP corporate uniform colors.

They apparently wanted to distinguish it from the jacket color on the left.   I'm glad I'm not the only one that sees teal.  Many different shades of blue, from medium blue to Navy blue look right with CAP wear, but this seems odd.

The third option (Navy)  of the first jacket in the following link looks like closest match I've found from major manufacturers.  I've never seen anybody wear that color in CAP.

http://www.alphaindustries.com/mens-flight-jackets/mens-flight-jackets.htm

Eclipse

I wouldn't suggest taking the graphics in the manual as anything but an approximation of
whomever drew them's idea of blue.

There's no proper standardization of color, and trying to match it to an online image which may have lighting
and filter issues will just make you nuts.

Just get a "dark blue" jacket that fits your budget and your body and you'll be fine.

"That Others May Zoom"

Damron

Quote from: Eclipse on November 27, 2016, 07:20:08 PM
I wouldn't suggest taking the graphics in the manual as anything but an approximation of
whomever drew them's idea of blue.

There's no proper standardization of color, and trying to match it to an online image which may have lighting
and filter issues will just make you nuts.

Just get a "dark blue" jacket that fits your budget and your body and you'll be fine.

I'm an old graphics guy.  I'll go with Navy Blue, but I'm curious if this is just bad graphics production or if there is another color they were trying to reproduce.   I often see this when two graphics file types are combined and saved as one type.  It doesn't take much work to fix.  I'm surprised how much time they spend on uniform regs and yet they have issues.  They should have a "request for comment" stage prior to publishing.

Eclipse

Quote from: Damron on November 27, 2016, 07:23:35 PM
I'm an old graphics guy.  I'll go with Navy Blue, but I'm curious if this is just bad graphics production or if there is another color they were trying to reproduce.   I often see this when two graphics file types are combined and saved as one type.  It doesn't take much work to fix.  I'm surprised how much time they spend on uniform regs and yet they have issues. They should have a "request for comment" stage prior to publishing.

There was, with significant input from the field, as well as discussion here.

Any number of issues with inconsistencies, internal conflicts, and graphics issues were brought up
though the proper process as well as on this forum.

There were then generally ignored and the document sat unchanged with the OPR for about 6 months,
at which time it was rushed out the door in order to make the publication deadline set by the leadership.

It has remained unchanged and unedited, despite numerous people pointing out the issue in excess of 2 years.

"That Others May Zoom"

Damron

Quote from: Eclipse on November 27, 2016, 07:36:39 PM
Quote from: Damron on November 27, 2016, 07:23:35 PM
I'm an old graphics guy.  I'll go with Navy Blue, but I'm curious if this is just bad graphics production or if there is another color they were trying to reproduce.   I often see this when two graphics file types are combined and saved as one type.  It doesn't take much work to fix.  I'm surprised how much time they spend on uniform regs and yet they have issues. They should have a "request for comment" stage prior to publishing.

There was, with significant input from the filed, as well as discussion here. 

Any number of issues with inconsistencies, internal conflicts, and graphics issues were brought up
though the proper process as well as on this forum.

There were then generally ignored and the document sat unchanged with the OPR for about 6 months,
at which time it was rushed out the door in order to make the publication deadline set by the leadership.

It has remained unchanged and unedited, despite numerous people pointing out the issue in excess of 2 years.

Makes sense.  The funny thing is that among the ranks there are probably hundreds of graphics production and printing professionals . 

Eclipse

Quote from: Damron on November 27, 2016, 07:38:52 PM
Makes sense.  The funny thing is that among the ranks there are probably hundreds of graphics production and printing professionals .

The sound you just heard is people snapping their pencils.

"That Others May Zoom"

Luis R. Ramos

People do not use pencils any more.

Probably the sound was that of the paper getting torn up by the pen they were using...

>:D

Or maybe it was the sound of them tearing the paper when this thread reminded them what they went through...

>:S

Squadron Safety Officer
Squadron Communication Officer
Squadron Emergency Services Officer

Damron

Just for piece of mind, I consulted NHQ.   They were, in fact, aiming for something that matched the corporate FDU and BBDU in both examples.

arajca

Well, I think they missed both times...

Luis R. Ramos

What are ya, a fashion critic?

[Putting on the SARCASM filter, hope ya don't miss it!]

>:D

Squadron Safety Officer
Squadron Communication Officer
Squadron Emergency Services Officer

Damron

I just wanted to be wrong.  I wanted NHQ to tell me about this odd color that had been retained for historical reasons.  I yearned to wear my WWII throw-back jacket, explaining its rich history.