Main Menu

Vanguard ABUs

Started by JC004, November 23, 2016, 02:46:32 PM

JC004

Now that Vanguard sells ABUs, I wanted to find out more about the quality before suggesting our cadets buy them. 

They ARE cheaper than AAFES.

The sizing they have is very strange, so I'm not so sure about that.

I'd be good to know how they compare, what the material quality is like, how the color matches current issue, and see some photos.

Vanguard ItemVanguard PriceAAFES ItemAAFES Price
Adult Coat (Shirt)32.75Adult Coat (Shirt)34.69
Adult Pants32.75Adult Pants41.93
Sand T-Shirt8.00Duke Athletic Poly/Cotton ABU/ACU Tee(Not Sold Indiv.) (3-pk: 14.95)
Youth Coat (Shirt)26.00Youth Coat (Shirt)(Not Sold)
Youth Pants26.00Youth Pants(Not Sold)
Patrol Cap10.00Patrol Cap6.02
Boot Bands: Trouser Blousers2.50Boot Bands: Trouser Blousers
Rigger Belt9.50Rigger Belt3.88
Athletic Cotton/Lycra Cold Weather Hood(Not Sold)Athletic Cotton/Lycra Cold Weather Hood9.40
Foliage Green Fleece Jacket(Not Sold)Foliage Green Fleece Jacket64.00
APECS (Gore-Tex) Jacket(Not Sold)APECS (Gore-Tex) Jacket177.82
Dri-DUKE ThermaForm Cold Weather Bottoms(Not Sold)Dri-DUKE ThermaForm Cold Weather Bottoms24.25
Black Fleece Watch Cap(Not Sold)Black Fleece Watch Cap4.97

Ozzy

I have asked on their FB page about them and if they were made by Rothco... Vanguard stated these are made by a private manufacturer exclusively for Vanguard and approved by NHQ... which means they are not the same at all to the ABUs we would receive from the Air Force.

I would rather spend the extra $20 or so for a set of issued ABUs then take a chance with these.

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk

Ozyilmaz, MSgt, CAP
C/Lt. Colonel (Ret.)
NYWG Encampment 07, 08, 09, 10, 17
CTWG Encampment 09, 11, 16
NER Cadet Leadership School 10
GAWG Encampment 18, 19
FLWG Winter Encampment 19

JC004

They did use an authorized military contractor (American Apparel) for some of the BDUs they sold, and those were fine.  Decent material and all.

But who knows what these could be like.  People try to avoid Vanguard for good reason - they have a history of bad quality.

They could make a lot more money if they were responsive.  I even suggested various products they might sell, but was flatly ignored.

ProdigalJim

Quote from: JC004 on November 23, 2016, 04:12:58 PM

They could make a lot more money if they were responsive.  I even suggested various products they might sell, but was flatly ignored.

Roger that. But remember, to their minds we're not really the customer...NHQ is. We have no choice but to buy from them. Even if we protest by wearing only the dreaded polo shirt (tm) they still get at least $20 from every member.

I, for one, am fed up. It's NHQ's job to write a tight contract and hold them to its terms for quality. If we're uninterested in doing that, it's all of us members who have to wear ugly, poorly matched stuff.
Jim Mathews, Lt. Col., CAP
VAWG/CV
My Mitchell Has Four Digits...

NIN

Had a conversation with the Sea Cadet unit XO at our parade on Saturday (they meet on Tuesday, we meet on Thursday, we share admin space).

They buy their stuff from Vanguard too.  Because he's both fuzzy & a tad portly, he has to wear their "alternate" uniform, a polo shirt much like ours.  Vanguard stopped making their shirts in 3X (perhaps he was more than a *tad* portly) leaving him out in the cold.   And now, apparently, Vanguard doesn't even make the shirt at all.

Darin Ninness, Col, CAP
I have no responsibilities whatsoever
I like to have Difficult Adult Conversations™
The contents of this post are Copyright © 2007-2024 by NIN. All rights are reserved. Specific permission is given to quote this post here on CAP-Talk only.