Bullying topic - Character Development

Started by Walkman, November 22, 2016, 02:25:57 PM

SAREXinNY

Quote from: Eclipse on November 22, 2016, 06:24:18 PM
Quote from: Fubar on November 22, 2016, 06:14:15 PM
I wonder how many CD sessions occur each month that are based on home-grown materials and not the official publications.

Far, far too many.  Further to that, how many are presented by staff who are not authorized to present them?

A lot of experienced CP members still think it can be "anyone".

The current requirements for CD instructors (at least here in NY) is a little too narrow.  I went years without being qualified...but as soon as I assume command...POOF....I'm somehow now immediately qualified?  Here in NY, unless you are affiliated with a church, and have held a leadership position in a church, you aren't allowed to do CD work regardless of any professional or educational background.  It just makes no sense to me.

Eclipse

Quote from: SAREXinNY on November 28, 2016, 01:51:27 AMHere in NY, unless you are affiliated with a church, and have held a leadership position in a church, you aren't allowed to do CD work regardless of any professional or educational background.  It just makes no sense to me.

Based on NYWG's history of "interpretive dance" with the regulations, few reading the above are surprised, however
regardless, absent an NHQ-approved supplement would clearly violate both the spirit and the intent of the applicable regulation.

The requirement is TLC and a "goodfella" letter, nothing more.

"That Others May Zoom"

SAREXinNY

Quote from: Eclipse on November 28, 2016, 02:20:34 AM
Based on NYWG's history of "interpretive dance" with the regulations, few reading the above are surprised, however
regardless, absent an NHQ-approved supplement would clearly violate both the spirit and the intent of the applicable regulation.

The requirement is TLC and a "goodfella" letter, nothing more.

I've tried to inquire...I was told "that's the way it is" and gave up. I have bigger battles...but I don't agree with it.

Eclipse

"Making an inquiry" is where these wives tales thrive.

It's understandable to not deal with another CAP windmill, but the only way these things see the light of
day is by challenging them.

Submit the paperwork through proper channels to the Wing Chaplain, and if it's denied, file an IG complaint
based on "failure to follow procedure" or "violation of CAPR 265-2".

Considering the current climate of inclusion, diversity, and the clear intent of the Chaplain Corps / NHQ to build
a robust CDI Cadre, I can't imagine they would be all that excited about a Wing arbitrarily denying a CDI for "reasons".

"That Others May Zoom"

Brit_in_CAP

Quote from: Eclipse on November 28, 2016, 02:43:35 AM

It's understandable to not deal with another CAP windmill, but the only way these things see the light of

Submit the paperwork through proper channels to the Wing Chaplain, and if it's denied, file an IG complaint

Considering the current climate of inclusion, diversity, and the clear intent of the Chaplain Corps / NHQ to build
a robust CDI Cadre, I can't imagine they would be all that excited about a Wing arbitrarily denying a CDI for "reasons".

+1...follow the process.  It is no longer mandatory for a CDI to receive a religious endorsement.  CAPR 265-1, Section 7 (Character Development Instructor Appointment) contains the detail.  In brief: Be a Senior Member and have completed (as a minimum) Level 1 plus TLC and Basic Instructor Course.  Then submit CAPF35a plus a letter of recommendation "..from a member of his or her local community attesting that the member is morally and emotionally qualified to serve as a character development instructor. This letter will not come from the unit commander since the commander's recommendation is implicit in the commander's signature on the application...."

I also agree with Eclipse - challenging these apparent inconsistencies is the only way to bring them to light.  Often its a simple misunderstanding, which is easily cleared up.  When it isn't, that needs to be dealt with robustly and correctly.

Chappie

Quote from: Brit_in_CAP on November 28, 2016, 02:26:49 PM
Quote from: Eclipse on November 28, 2016, 02:43:35 AM

+1...follow the process.  It is no longer mandatory for a CDI to receive a religious endorsement.  CAPR 265-1, Section 7 (Character Development Instructor Appointment) contains the detail.  In brief: Be a Senior Member and have completed (as a minimum) Level 1 plus TLC and Basic Instructor Course.  Then submit CAPF35a plus a letter of recommendation "..from a member of his or her local community attesting that the member is morally and emotionally qualified to serve as a character development instructor. This letter will not come from the unit commander since the commander's recommendation is implicit in the commander's signature on the application...."

I also agree with Eclipse - challenging these apparent inconsistencies is the only way to bring them to light.  Often its a simple misunderstanding, which is easily cleared up.  When it isn't, that needs to be dealt with robustly and correctly.

^^^What he and Eclipse said   :clap: :clap:   The CAP Chaplain Corps has seen significant changes and progress under the current Chief of the CAP Chaplain Corps - Ch, Col Jay Hughes.  From what I am reading from SARX in NY -- this is really an anomaly and not the norm.  There is not a month that goes by where we have not seen appointments of CDIs and Chaplains.

I would add -- contact the Region Chaplain: Ch, Lt Col Matthew Wissell  (mjwissell@gmail.com) 
Disclaimer:  Not to be confused with the other user that goes by "Chappy"   :)

SMWOG

The Acting NYWG cc stated that we are not going to make people jump through hoops. He said follow the CAP regulation. If you are hitting a road block due to unapproved supplements to the prescribed regulations, the wing cc needs to know.  I would start with the wing chaplain,get him on the phone.

VR

xinemae

Quote from: Spam on November 22, 2016, 03:38:52 PM

Volume 4, NOV14:
https://www.capmembers.com/media/cms/P265_002_91CF616EC6FAD.pdf
She's Mine - Abusive Relationships Lesson Plan, p.48
No Joking Matter - Cyber bullying Lesson Plan, p.138

V/r
Spam

Exactly what I needed. Thank you.

Spam