More Squadron's Being Formed ???

Started by JAFO78, November 20, 2016, 01:39:19 AM

JAFO78

Is there a increase in the number of new CAP units across the nation?? We have a new one here in MN, and I noticed a new one forming in Dickinson, ND, and two In Florida, Bartow, and Lake Wales.  I for one am very happy seeing our numbers increase.  :clap:

How about you???
JAFO

Eclipse

There was a lot of talk about seeding squadrons after the last national conference, but nothing new in my wing,
and we lost a couple more this year.

I know of fairly specific plans for two new ones, but no charters have been added yet.

It's gotta happen sooner then later if CAP is ever going to stop the member bleed - losing members is bad
enough, but the loss of charters leaves huge holes where you can't really even recruit anymore due to the
distance required to the nearest unit.

With that said, there isn't a long line of people waiting to be CCs, especially with the experience, flexible time,
and tenacity to get something in place that will gain traction.

"That Others May Zoom"

Spaceman3750

Quote from: Eclipse on November 20, 2016, 02:38:10 AM
There was a lot of talk about seeding squadrons after the last national conference, but nothing new in my wing,
and we lost a couple more this year.

I know of fairly specific plans for two new ones, but no charters have been added yet.

It's gotta happen sooner then later if CAP is ever going to stop the member bleed - losing members is bad
enough, but the loss of charters leaves huge holes where you can't really even recruit anymore due to the
distance required to the nearest unit.

With that said, there isn't a long line of people waiting to be CCs, especially with the experience, flexible time,
and tenacity to get something in place that will gain traction.

There is a new charter brewing in your wing.

Briank

When my Wing Commander had stopped by to my old unit (which was a new one started just over a year ago, but now is being shut down), he'd listed several new units that had been recently formed.  What I wonder is how many usually survive for any period of time, say 5 years+? 

PHall

Quote from: RobG on November 20, 2016, 01:39:19 AM
Is there a increase in the number of new CAP units across the nation?? We have a new one here in MN, and I noticed a new one forming in Dickinson, ND, and two In Florida, Bartow, and Lake Wales.  I for one am very happy seeing our numbers increase.  :clap:

How about you???

And for those four you mentioned, how many have shut down in the same period?
CAP Squadrons come and go. It's the rare one that lasts. Sad but true.

Robert Hartigan

If they forced anyone that wanted to get promoted past Captain to serve as a squadron deputy and squadron commander before taking on another echelon's responsibilities and then only allow wing commanders to be selected from a pool of officer that have served at the squadron level within the last 5 years, you would see more local units. Now, Wing and Group HQs poach squadron talent to satiate bureaucracy and ego. You want more squadrons, empty the rosters at higher HQs of hanger-ons, those that are button clickers and tin soldiers; if they can't cut it at the squadron, they are probably interfering and halting local efforts.

FTR, I quit being a squadron commander and CAP because of the blatant lack of respect for the local units. I had more people clamoring for something they "needed" and it was a one way street, there was no support. The best example I have is the wing staffer that claimed Cleveland was too far and too much of an inconvenience to travel for him and that my 8 officers should plan to travel to Columbus instead because that is where Wing HQ is. So, if seeding local units is going to save CAP then a dose of RoundUp might be in order first? Before then, I see many local members becoming former members and saving their time talent and treasure from the aggravation. 
<><><>#996
GRW   #2717

JAFO78

Does any one know the number of units being shut down vs opening.??

I understand the brain drain, we lost our unit commander after 18 months to go to wing. We had just gotten use to him, then he moved on now we are getting used to another. I have no disrespect for any of them. i just think its bad for motivation, to face changes so soon. My very first squadron commander just stepped down from his 10th command. His last two were a start up, and a fix the problem commands running six months to a year each.
JAFO

Eclipse

Quote from: RobG on November 20, 2016, 06:51:35 PM

Over what period - CAP is down a couple hundred charters since I joined, most being closed as clean-up in the last 10 years.

It's not likely it will ever recover those numbers.  My wing alone id down something like 15+, probably more in that period.

"That Others May Zoom"

etodd

And I wonder how it would break down as far as Cadet Units vs Seniors vs Composites?

"Don't try to explain it, just bow your head
Breathe in, breathe out, move on ..."

etodd

Is it usually a death sentence for a Squadron when Wing takes away an airplane from underutilization? C-12 flights are so cheap, I don't understand how a squadron with several pilots can't keep a plane busy enough.

Eclipse

Quote from: etodd on November 20, 2016, 08:00:27 PM
Is it usually a death sentence for a Squadron when Wing takes away an airplane from underutilization?

No, it is already failing or failed, and / or the aircraft is in the wrong place in the wing geographically for pilots to fly it.

Quote from: etodd on November 20, 2016, 08:00:27 PM
C-12 flights are so cheap, I don't understand how a squadron with several pilots can't keep a plane busy enough.

Self-funded flying should not be the basis of any aircraft's hours - between o-rides, A12, MX transport, SAREx's and
other funded flying there is plenty of money to go around, it a pilot is interested in picking it up off the table.
The unit doesn't have enough pilots, the wing doesn't have enough near the plane (thus they move it),
or the CC is not able to motivate the members to use it.

"That Others May Zoom"

Eclipse

Quote from: etodd on November 20, 2016, 07:56:59 PM

And I wonder how it would break down as far as Cadet Units vs Seniors vs Composites?

Not likely relevent since the charter mandates and minimums aren't consistently enforced - there are lots of squadrons
running basically as cadet-only programs, and far too many with a handful of cadets on the books who never show up.

You'd have to do a lot of manual parsing to ever get meaningful data.

"That Others May Zoom"

etodd

Quote from: Eclipse on November 20, 2016, 08:06:54 PM

The unit doesn't have enough pilots, the wing doesn't have enough near the plane (thus they move it),
or the CC is not able to motivate the members to use it.

... or the Squadron has enough pilots, but many let their Form 5s expire and don't get around to renewing? I'm seeing that one having effects. Maybe that also goes to the CC motivation you speak of.

Eclipse

Quote from: etodd on November 20, 2016, 08:41:32 PM
... or the Squadron has enough pilots, but many let their Form 5s expire and don't get around to renewing?

The they don't actually have "enough" pilots - a CAP member without an active F5 is not a pilot from a CAP perspective.

"That Others May Zoom"

etodd

Quote from: Eclipse on November 20, 2016, 08:56:37 PM
Quote from: etodd on November 20, 2016, 08:41:32 PM
... or the Squadron has enough pilots, but many let their Form 5s expire and don't get around to renewing?

The they don't actually have "enough" pilots - a CAP member without an active F5 is not a pilot from a CAP perspective.

Hence my reference to your reference of motivation. Hdqs would know how many licensed pilots we have vs those with current Form 5s. Would be interesting to see how large of a resource we are not tapping ... and why.  And of course I'm not talking of those who may have lost their medicals.

(But I'm getting off the OP topic, so I'll start this up elsewhere ...)

JAFO78

Quote from: Eclipse on November 20, 2016, 07:55:06 PM

Over what period - CAP is down a couple hundred charters since I joined, most being closed as clean-up in the last 10 years.

It's not likely it will ever recover those numbers.  My wing alone id down something like 15+, probably more in that period.

Just for the sake of talking say over the last 3 years. My first squadron in 1983 was composite, and we changed to a cadet squadron, due to less seniors attending
JAFO

Eclipse

Proximity is critical to participation and retention, and the more squadrons CAP loses, the worse the situation gets.

BITD, I joined a unit that was near my work, so generally getting there wasn't too big a deal, but by the time
I moved to Group, the HQ was another 30 minutes North and I was no longer working near the first one, so
getting to meetings and activities, especially when the CAP spirit is waning, or you've had a long / bad day,
became more and more of an issue, and everything became virtual and remote.

Despite assertions, even by me, CAP isn't a correspondence course and in-face activity is critical.

I'm nine minutes form my current unit and a lot of days we have meetings at my home as I have a large
garage and workspace, with property for PT - that takes the edge of the days when "I'd rather not bother..."

I received a call recently from a member in the NE whose former cadet daughter was moving to the area and was interested
in joining a squadron with cadets.  We would be a good choice, however a weeknight commute from the
downtown area to the suburbs simply isn't reasonable in this area, and sadly there's only one unit with cadets
in the entire city.  2.7+MM people and only one unit with cadets.

Sad.

"That Others May Zoom"

PHall

Quote from: RobG on November 20, 2016, 11:39:25 PM
Quote from: Eclipse on November 20, 2016, 07:55:06 PM

Just for the sake of talking say over the last 3 years. My first squadron in 1983 was composite, and we down graded to a cadet. I know one squadron was shut down to lack of interest. I think everyone went to one just south of the closed unit and its one the largest in wing, it not the largest.

"Down graded" to cadet????  I wasn't aware that one type of unit was "superior" to the other types. Please explain.

JAFO78

My apologizes It should have stated turned to Cadet from Composite.
JAFO

dogden

In my group, we have 2 units in the process of forming and one that is a flight on life support. I recently acquired a unit from another group bringing the total to 15 squadrons in the group. With the possibility of adding 2 and losing one. We are growing here in Southeast Texas!
David C Ogden, Lt Col, CAP
Texas Wing, Group IV Commander
GRW#3325