Just Pinned Major During Open House

Started by ProdigalJim, November 19, 2016, 02:16:08 AM

Eclipse

That may well be part of the logic, but it doesn't fit the CAP model unless the requirements to serve
at upper echelons will be changed to require the PD first (which we all know isn't a practical reality).

The actual result will just be more Captains serving at Group and Wing, not more members expected
to complete the higher training earlier.

"That Others May Zoom"

Eclipse

Quote from: RogueLeader on November 28, 2016, 06:32:54 PM
Quote from: Devil Doc on November 28, 2016, 06:12:02 PM
Question, why did they make the TIG and other requirements longer or "Tougher" to get rank? I know there was a slew of Majors, and Kernals but did making the TIG and the PD Levels more to get rank for a reason? I mean assuming LvL 4 can be done if your motivated fairly quick. However, LVL 5 is the pesky thing were a limited amount can go to that college thingy. Is CAP TIG the same as the AF or similar? I am not sure how officers rank up.

It was to make our system match more closely to the Air Force.  Prior to the change, it was possible to make CAP Lt Col by age 29.  I know of one personally.  Fresh, SM to Lt Col used to take 10 years.  Now its is faster than the Air Force, just not as fast as it used to be.  It's still not the same however. (Which is ok in my book.)

Interesting - even though the new minimum TIG to Lt Col is 13.5 years, a new member who joins as a senior at 18 can't make it in less then ~14.5 because of the
inability to achieve SFO, so they bump to 1st Lt at 21.

Of course CAP can still see 30 year old Spaatzen getting the silver oaks, but I guess that's better then 28 it used to be.

"That Others May Zoom"

USACAP

Lookin' good homie.
Congrats.

Quote from: ProdigalJim on November 19, 2016, 02:16:08 AM
I just pinned Major on Nov 5, during our Open House at the airport. We had for a backdrop our 182T, the GA-8 that has been living with us for a few months and...a real, honest-to-goodness CAP Stinson that flew submarine missions out of Coastal Patrol Base 4. Super cool!

https://www.flickr.com/photos/mer-va-102/30742363701/in/album-72157674788393501/

Devil Doc

Quote from: NIN on November 28, 2016, 07:14:55 PM
It was to make our system match more closely to the Air Force.  Prior to the change, it was possible to make CAP Lt Col by age 29.  I know of one personally.  Fresh, SM to Lt Col used to take 10 years.  Now its is faster than the Air Force, just not as fast as it used to be.  It's still not the same however. (Which is ok in my book.)

Well, not only that, but it "pushed down" some of the training that you were only getting when you made Lt Col down to Majors and Captains.

When I went to Region Staff College, much of what I saw in the curriculum was things we were already teaching to cadets at Cadet Leadership School. This was information and leadership training that seniors should have been exposed to as 1st Lts and Captains, to make them more effective at the unit and Group level, not Majors going for Lt Col.

I did 5 Years JROTC, 2 Years AD, and 1 year Reserves and have been in CAP for 4 years. Most of the Leadership stuff the Cadets are learning I learned in JROTC... Heck I still got all of my Leadership Books from JROTC, Learn to Lead books, and all the other jazz books. My question is... do you still need to go to RSC if you were a Cadet/Ex-Military or did JROTC? Is the leadership training not the same as it is in JROTC or what is taught to CAP Cadets that is taught at RSC?
Captain Brandon P. Smith CAP
Former HM3, U.S NAVY
Too many Awards, Achievments and Qualifications to list.

Alaric

Quote from: Devil Doc on November 30, 2016, 05:27:15 PM

Well, not only that, but it "pushed down" some of the training that you were only getting when you made Lt Col down to Majors and Captains.

When I went to Region Staff College, much of what I saw in the curriculum was things we were already teaching to cadets at Cadet Leadership School. This was information and leadership training that seniors should have been exposed to as 1st Lts and Captains, to make them more effective at the unit and Group level, not Majors going for Lt Col.

I did 5 Years JROTC, 2 Years AD, and 1 year Reserves and have been in CAP for 4 years. Most of the Leadership stuff the Cadets are learning I learned in JROTC... Heck I still got all of my Leadership Books from JROTC, Learn to Lead books, and all the other jazz books. My question is... do you still need to go to RSC if you were a Cadet/Ex-Military or did JROTC? Is the leadership training not the same as it is in JROTC or what is taught to CAP Cadets that is taught at RSC?

The only waiver for RSC is Professional Military Education, see CAPR 50-17, p 30

https://www.capmembers.com/media/cms/R050_017_AAC4BB3089BE0.pdf

Devil Doc

Quote from: Alaric on November 30, 2016, 05:28:33 PM

The only waiver for RSC is Professional Military Education, see CAPR 50-17, p 30

I know... unfortunately, an untimely injury prevented me from taking any Military Leadership courses.
Former HM3, U.S NAVY

THRAWN

Quote from: Devil Doc on November 30, 2016, 05:33:23 PM

I know... unfortunately, an untimely injury prevented me from taking any Military Leadership courses.

Is it no longer mandatory to take the POIC before you make 3rd class? I seem to recall that you had to do that before you got crows. If you did it, would seem to me that it might meet the requirements of " US Armed Forces NCO Academy or equivalent, resident or correspondence". Send it up. Worst they can tell you is no....
Strup-"Belligerent....at times...."
AFRCC SMC 10-97
NSS ISC 05-00
USAF SOS 2000
USAF ACSC 2011
US NWC 2016
USMC CSCDEP 2023

MHC5096

I was a 29 year old Lieutenant Colonel.  >:D

Now I'm a 45 year old Lieutenant Colonel.  :-\

Sadly the pay remains the same.  :'(
Mark H. Crary
Lt Col, CAP (1990-Present)
DDC-P, CGAUX (2011-Present)
MSgt, USAF (1995-2011)
QM2, USN (1989-1995)

CyBorgII

Quote from: Eclipse on November 28, 2016, 06:31:12 PM
For the average member who has joined in the last year or so, Captain is probably going to be the reasonable top-end.

And for many members who joined long before.  I wish I had realised that so that my expectations would not have been set too high for my capabilities.
Whaddaya mean I ain't kind?  I'm just not YOUR kind!

Ex-CAP Captain, now CG Auxiliary, but still feel a great deal of affection for the many good people in CAP.

audiododd

Everybody's talking about rank and I'm over here saying, "I just want to fly that [darn] Stinson!!!"   ;)
Dodd Martin, MSgt, CAP
MSgt, USAF (Ret.)
Squadron NCO
Safety/Comm/Admin/Personnel/IT
TMP - MO - MS - MRO - MSO

Devil Doc

Quote from: THRAWN on November 30, 2016, 05:49:28 PM
Quote from: Devil Doc on November 30, 2016, 05:33:23 PM

Is it no longer mandatory to take the POIC before you make 3rd class? I seem to recall that you had to do that before you got crows. If you did it, would seem to me that it might meet the requirements of " US Armed Forces NCO Academy or equivalent, resident or correspondence". Send it up. Worst they can tell you is no....

No... I also picked it up in the Reserves when I was "Technically" Medical Discharged... it was more of a retirement rank... so to speak.
Former HM3, U.S NAVY

Devil Doc

Quote from: MHC5096 on November 30, 2016, 05:51:32 PM

I was a 29 year old Lieutenant Colonel.  >:D

Now I'm a 45 year old Lieutenant Colonel.  :-\

Sadly the pay remains the same.  :'(

Atleast you didn't have to change you rank on your uniform... lol
Former HM3, U.S NAVY

MHC5096

Another way to look at it is that I've had to change CAP uniforms more often than rank in the past 16 years.  ;D
Mark H. Crary
MSgt, USAF (1995-2011)
QM2, USN (1989-1995)

Devil Doc

Quote from: MHC5096 on December 02, 2016, 12:38:10 PM
Another way to look at it is that I've had to change CAP uniforms more often than rank in the past 16 years.  ;D

So you went from the Navy, to Army National Guard, to Airforce...
Former HM3, U.S NAVY

MHC5096

Quote from: Devil Doc on December 02, 2016, 05:24:53 PM
Quote from: MHC5096 on December 02, 2016, 12:38:10 PM

So you went from the Navy, to Army National Guard, to Airforce...

Navy Reserve to Air National Guard to Air Force Reserve over 22 years. When I finally retired you would think I would be content with just having one uniform (CAP) to contend with, but no...I had to go add the Coast Guard into the mix.  :o
Mark H. Crary
MSgt, USAF (1995-2011)
QM2, USN (1989-1995)