LESA South or encampment?

Started by EMiller878, November 05, 2016, 05:12:06 AM

EMiller878

Hello all! I just joined as a senior member in Texas, and I'm 18. As a new senior, should I go to/staff encampment or go to LESA South? I don't know much about either on the senior side so any advice is appreciated!

Thanks!

SarDragon

Are you a former cadet? That makes a big difference in the advice you might get.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

Nick

Also are you more interested in spending a week at a cadet program activity or emergency services activity? They're totally different experiences so that will have some influence.

And, another thing to consider... how far do you want to travel? Encampment is in Nacogdoches, LESA-S is in Brownsville. Practically opposite ends of the state, so depending on where you are that may be something worth considering.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Nicholas McLarty, Lt Col, CAP
Texas Wing Staff Guy
National Cadet Team Guy Emeritus

EMiller878

Quote from: SarDragon on November 05, 2016, 06:32:37 AM
Are you a former cadet? That makes a big difference in the advice you might get.
I was not, and this will be my first big event as a CAP member.

EMiller878

Quote from: McLarty on November 05, 2016, 12:32:24 PM
Also are you more interested in spending a week at a cadet program activity or emergency services activity? They're totally different experiences so that will have some influence.

And, another thing to consider... how far do you want to travel? Encampment is in Nacogdoches, LESA-S is in Brownsville. Practically opposite ends of the state, so depending on where you are that may be something worth considering.

I'm still learning about them both but leaning emernency services. I would really like to get into ground team.

I'm fine with traveling long distances!

Eclipse

If these are your only / best choices, I would suggest LESA, and leave staffing encampments to later in your CAP career
when you've had time to learn / understand what CAP is and how it works.

"That Others May Zoom"

Nick

I agree, especially if you have an interest in emergency services.

Nicholas McLarty, Lt Col, CAP
Texas Wing Staff Guy
National Cadet Team Guy Emeritus

SarDragon

Quote from: EMiller878 on November 05, 2016, 04:53:00 PM
Quote from: SarDragon on November 05, 2016, 06:32:37 AM
I was not, and this will be my first big event as a CAP member.

Go to LESA. It will help integrate you into CAP in general, and make involvement in the cadet program down the road a little easier. You will gain experience that you can pass on to the cadets.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

PHall

You're 18 and have never been a cadet?  Yeah, go to LESA. You'll probably have a much better time.