Main Menu

Uber elevate

Started by Eclipse, October 29, 2016, 08:48:13 PM

etodd

Quote from: etodd on October 30, 2016, 01:42:01 AM
Quote from: Luis R. Ramos on October 29, 2016, 09:55:59 PM
New York City has gone the other way.

After a B-25 crash into the Empire State in 1944 or 1945, another crash involving a helicopter into the city, a mid-air between a Super Connie and DC-8 in Brooklyn in the '60s, a 737 crash in Far Rockaway in the Boro of Queens in 2009, a 2006 Cirrus airplane crash in Manhattan piloted by a NY Yankees pitcher, and several other helicopter accidents including a mid-air between a small GA and a helicopter in 2009 no airplane can fly above the city including all five boros.

Huh? I have a friend who circles over New York City and the area quite often in a Skyhawk shooting aerial photography. Its quite busy with small GA air traffic.

^^^ In that post you said "no airplane can fly" ... then in a later post you said 'restricted'.  And that is more the case. You are restricted in that you have to be talking to ATC, but they let aerial photographers and others circle over the city daily with no problems. As I said, I have a friend who flies over it several times a month taking photos for art sales, as well as construction progress, developers and more.  Its quite busy over New York City with GA traffic.

"Don't try to explain it, just bow your head
Breathe in, breathe out, move on ..."

Luis R. Ramos

Ok, so the discussion in this thread was that "we will be seeing Uber Air over LA."

And there was a photo of a lot of downtown LA buildings with rooftop landing pads.

I have been living here for about 15 years, reading on this topic. Looking at the sky.

And looking at the rooftops.

It is not what I see in LA. There are no rooftop landing spots. I only see government helicopters, rescue copters, police copters.

I do not see any GA. I only see commercial aviation. On specific patterns on their way to LGA and JFK.

I lived through some of the accidents I mentioned. Far away, I grant it. They did not affect me closely. But I read reports of government personnel. Read about and heard concern of people.

You have a friend who flies over the city? Does he live in the city??? I live here!
Squadron Safety Officer
Squadron Communication Officer
Squadron Emergency Services Officer

THRAWN

Quote from: docsteve on October 30, 2016, 04:32:08 PM
Can we all just look at a N.Y. TCA chart to see how it's done?

Bah...why look at the rules or even consider them when it is easier to just assume and perpetuate myths...

Strup-"Belligerent....at times...."
AFRCC SMC 10-97
NSS ISC 05-00
USAF SOS 2000
USAF ACSC 2011
US NWC 2016
USMC CSCDEP 2023

SarDragon

Single warning - clean it up or lock it up. The "measuring contest" is over.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

PHall

LOCK in 3........2.........1........

SarDragon

Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

LTC Don

From the macro level, like a lot of these forward-looking projects, it looks great on paper.  The current GA system kind of depends on airports being far enough away that each landing strip has enough room for it's own pattern.  In an urban setting with multiple landing pads in close proximity, this isn't possible.  There will always be human piloted aircraft mixing with the autonomous aircraft.  I can't wonder how robust the software will be in the autonomous aircraft and how it will deal with an 'out of parameters' event such as a near mid-air, or some other anomaly.  Developing a traffic-control system allowing for autonomous aircraft arriving and departing multiple landing pads in close proximity, is a nightmare in the making.  The economics don't make sense.

It's common knowledge what happens when you have rotary wing aircraft in close proximity with human pilots:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2007_Phoenix_news_helicopter_collision

Understanding this was the news covering an event, there are many more examples available of helicopters not playing well together.

Once you get from the macro level and start diving into the weeds at the micro level, the complexity can be staggering because the loss of human life will be unacceptable, not to mention the other economics of the cost-per-seat (economies of scale).
Donald A. Beckett, Lt Col, CAP
Commander
MER-NC-143
Gill Rob Wilson #1891

ℛedℬaron

How do they think that this is a good idea? All throughout L.A. There are skyscrapers its gonna be like the 1945 B-25 accident all the time, where these things are gonna smash into buildings left and right if there is a heavy fog.
The English had hit upon a splendid joke. They intended to catch me or to bring me down.
-Manfred von Richtofen