Cyber Patriots - a reason why their skills will be needed (soon)

Started by Live2Learn, October 10, 2016, 05:03:26 PM

Live2Learn

http://www.bbc.com/news/technology-37590375

Our Russian "friends" have been very active recently.  According to this BBC report it appears they've moved well beyond efforts to influence the US POTUS election, previous espionage hacks to gain technological secrets, and such games.  They are actively developing and conducting real time tests on cyber weapons to disrupt and destroy critical infrastructure.

cnitas

I know several highly intelligent cadets who are/were into cyber security.  One is slightly overweight with asthma (ineligible for service), and the other joined the Air Force as a cyber security analyst.  The Air Force booted him from Basic training because he dislocated his shoulder doing a low crawl, and would not allow him re-entry because the doc said it was a recurring injury.  He apparently had disclosed he had injured the shoulder several years earlier when he went in to get dislocation fixed.  He now works with VR for a private company, I am sure making much more $ than he would ever have as an enlistee in the Air force.

With the other thread about obesity...and now a 'need' for cyber security .... it really boggles my mind why they are crying for people when they turn away the smartest kids who want to serve?   ???
Mark A. Piersall, Lt Col, CAP
Frederick Composite Squadron
MER-MD-003

Live2Learn

Quote from: cnitas on October 10, 2016, 05:21:35 PM
I know several highly intelligent cadets who are/were into cyber security.  One is slightly overweight with asthma (ineligible for service), and the other joined the Air Force as a cyber security analyst.  The Air Force booted him from Basic training because he dislocated his shoulder doing a low crawl, and would not allow him re-entry because the doc said it was a recurring injury.  He apparently had disclosed he had injured the shoulder several years earlier when he went in to get dislocation fixed.  He now works with VR for a private company, I am sure making much more $ than he would ever have as an enlistee in the Air force.

With the other thread about obesity...and now a 'need' for cyber security .... it really boggles my mind why they are crying for people when they turn away the smartest kids who want to serve?   ???

So, what's the problem with the cadet working for a private contractor stateside rather than in uniform?  I hope we view CAP's mission as more than just a conduit to the military services.  Depending upon the firm who might be the cadet's future employer the likelihood that a high state of physical fitness would be necessary is a lot less.   Plus, last I heard, civilians can decline service in combat zones... not an option for members of the armed services.  I think the USAF physical fitness criteria are reasonable for any personnel who might be assigned duties where their inability to meet physical demands could jeopardize team members and mission.

The earlier post about the guy who carried his female supervisor is further support for rigorous standards, applied without regard to AA (hit:  it isn't "alcoholics anon").

cnitas

Reminds me of a story my Grandfather used to tell me about WW2. After Pearl Harbor, he went out to join the Army Air Corp.  We wanted to be a pilot as he had a degree.  He passed the written exams with flying colors, and was healthy.   He was denied due to a mild color blindness. 

Later in '43 I believe, the standard was relaxed because of a shortage in qualified applicants and he now qualified for Flight School!

Fortunately for him, he had been drafted infantry in the meantime.  8)
Mark A. Piersall, Lt Col, CAP
Frederick Composite Squadron
MER-MD-003

USACAP

Because we have not finished eliminating standards yet. Yet.
Give it time.

Quote from: cnitas on October 10, 2016, 05:21:35 PM
... why they are crying for people when they turn away the smartest kids who want to serve?

Live2Learn

Cyber patriots and other similar programs have a bright future.

When conflict 'goes covert' has new meaning.  I NSA and just about every other government and non-government entity is looking for competent and credible cyber security people.  I've seen numerous adverts in the past six months for 'director of security' positions with very heavy emphasis on the cyber side.  Julian Assange and others of his ilk may not be agents of any particular government, but they most certainly are at the least dupes and enablers.  You can probably think of other names with initials like B.M. (now C.M.) and E.S.