No more "Boats" - Navy drops ratings

Started by Eclipse, October 03, 2016, 04:45:34 AM

Eclipse

This has been making it's way around the tubes this weekend, and of course is hot on the heels
of the dropping of "man" from 19 Marine Corps mos'.

http://www.military.com/daily-news/2016/09/29/hello-seaman-navy-ditches-ratings-system-after-review.html

"The Navy is jettisoning its complex ratings system to make sailors' jobs more understandable and allow them to more easily transfer occupations.

The move, which allows sailors to be addressed by rank, such as seaman, petty officer and chief, aligns the service for the first time with the other three military branches, which address troops by rank instead of job specialty.

"I've never heard of a Marine who introduced himself as 'Infantry Corporal Smith,' " Cmdr. John Schofield, a spokesman for Navy Personnel Command, told Military.com. "This is exactly what every other service does; it completely aligns us with the other services. I would just say that it makes complete sense in terms of putting more emphasis on rank and standardization."

http://pilotonline.com/news/military/local/no-more-boats-the-navy-does-away-with-referring-to/article_1594c76c-1c06-5d85-89b5-453f421aaddf.html

http://fox5sandiego.com/2016/09/29/navy-drops-rating-titles-for-all-enlisted-sailors/

"That Others May Zoom"

RogueLeader

I'd say that is well past time time, and I'm sure my navy friends are going to flame me for it. Oh well. I've got nomex. 

This has what to do with cap?
WYWG DP

GRW 3340

Eclipse

Quote from: RogueLeader on October 03, 2016, 04:48:29 AM

In addition to the fair number of members who are current or former Navy,
my wing & region gets considerable support and resources from them, and the
"proper address" issue has always been somewhat of a conversation stopper,
not to mention making things "fun" when it comes time to make commemoration 
and appreciation plaques and certificates.

It is also a bellwether of the considerable evolution that US military culture is undergoing.

"That Others May Zoom"

SarDragon

I've seen two different spins on this. One is that they are going to totally do away with the rating titles and abbreviations. The other is that they want to do away with the practice of people referring to each other by their rate, which in my case would be AT1.

Petty Officer, Seaman, Airman, etc. have been the proper and preferred forms of address since the move away from last names only back in the '70s. I didn't really see this new practice with the rates before I retired in '89. After that I saw it more on the east coast then the west coast when I was around AD folks.

I guess we'll see how it flushes out over the next few months.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

Chappie

Quote from: RogueLeader on October 03, 2016, 04:48:29 AM
I'd say that is well past time time, and I'm sure my navy friends are going to flame me for it. Oh well. I've got nomex. 

Well it has nothing to do with CAP, per se....this is a safe forum for CAP members who either served in the Navy or are currently serving in the Navy to "vent their spleen"?

On another note...the USAFA Falcons beat the Navy Midshipmen 28-14 on Saturday and is looking good on retaking the Commander-in-Chief Trophy.  Go Falcons....Beat Army on November 5!!!
Disclaimer:  Not to be confused with the other user that goes by "Chappy"   :)

Live2Learn

Quote from: Chappie on October 03, 2016, 03:58:45 PM
On another note...the USAFA Falcons beat the Navy Midshipmen 28-14 on Saturday and is looking good on retaking the Commander-in-Chief Trophy.  Go Falcons....Beat Army on November 5!!!

Don't you mean the "Navy Midshipers"...?  As we all know, language and dominant gender is important.  :)

NIN

10 years ago, during my first Annual Training with the (then) American Cadet Alliance, our senior enlisted guy was a retired Navy E-9. I'd *never* spent any time around senior enlisted Navy, so the term of address "Command Master Chief" was ... "foreign" to me.

I'd had Command Sergeants Major in my orbit, I'd been around Master, Senior Master & Chief Master Sergeants, I'd even gotten lifed by a Master Gunnery Sergeant (E-8) for calling him "Gunny," but this guy in khakis? No clue.

For the first four or five days I'd start to say "Command Chief Master...." or "Master Command.. Oh, geez.."

He'd just shake his head in disgust.

Darin Ninness, Col, CAP
I have no responsibilities whatsoever
I like to have Difficult Adult Conversations™
The contents of this post are Copyright © 2007-2024 by NIN. All rights are reserved. Specific permission is given to quote this post here on CAP-Talk only.

Al Sayre

So now I guess Dave and I are A210's... In reality, as Dave noted, it was always formally"Petty Officer Smith"or "Airman Jones" while I was in.  In a combined detachment shop like we had in the helo outfits, "AT1", "AE3" or "AD2" etc. made sense sense almost everyone on the detachment was a petty officer of some type, and calling out "hey Petty Officer" would have received about 20 responses, kind of like calling out "hey Sergeant" in the other services.  In the shop it was usually Al or Dave or Joe unless you were in some kind of trouble.  In reality though they will probably still call each other Tweets, Twidgets, Boats, Sparky's, etc.  Cultures are hard things to kill...     
Lt Col Al Sayre
MS Wing Staff Dude
Admiral, Great Navy of the State of Nebraska
GRW #2787

SarDragon

My Bro was in the helo community (H-3s and H-60s), so I can see where he got it. I wasn't around them much after about '78.

ETA: I just looked at the conversion list, and it's just as confusing as the original ratings list.

As for enhanced job opportunities, I qualified for 5 or 6 Naval Enlisted Classification codes (NECs) while I was in, and not all of them were rating specific. For much of my career, I was assigned by NEC, and not by rating, just like folks in the other services are assigned by MOS or AFSC. I'm not seeing the improvement here.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
C/WO, CAP, Ret

Al Sayre

I also kind of wondering what they will do with the grade & rating insignia, I'm guessing it'll just be a plain crow like we had on the dungarees...
Lt Col Al Sayre
MS Wing Staff Dude
GRW #2787

THRAWN

Quote from: Al Sayre on October 04, 2016, 02:26:26 PM
I also kind of wondering what they will do with the grade & rating insignia, I'm guessing it'll just be a plain crow like we had on the dungarees...

Looks like it. My brother is a FCC out on a float right now and that's the word that they are getting. He said that none of his sailors or other chiefs in his network like this idea. Hundreds of years of tradition washed overboard. BM3 sends....
Strup-"Belligerent....at times...."
AFRCC SMC 10-97
NSS ISC 05-00
USAF SOS 2000
USAF ACSC 2011
US NWC 2016
USMC CSCDEP 2023

PHall

But it sounds like a great idea!!!!!!!

If you're inside the Beltway where reality is a foreign concept...

Al Sayre

One of these days I'm going to catch the Good Idea Fairy and shoot him in the face...
Lt Col Al Sayre
MS Wing Staff Dude
GRW #2787

Luis R. Ramos

Why shoot the "Good Idea Fairy?"

It is not the originator of these "apparently good ideas" that turn out bad like this one.

It is the "Bad Idea Fairy" the one to shoot... It disguises itself as the "Good Idea Fairy."

>:D
Squadron Safety Officer
Squadron Communication Officer
Squadron Emergency Services Officer

Al Sayre

They both always end up leaving a mess of work on my desk...  How 'bout I shoot both of them and let someone else figure out which is which.
Lt Col Al Sayre
MS Wing Staff Dude
GRW #2787

SarDragon

Quote from: Al Sayre on October 07, 2016, 11:25:09 AM
They both always end up leaving a mess of work on my desk...  How 'bout I shoot both of them and let someone else figure out which is which.

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
C/WO, CAP, Ret

Luis R. Ramos

Squadron Safety Officer
Squadron Communication Officer
Squadron Emergency Services Officer

Eclipse

Looks like the"Common Sense Gnome" and his drunk cousin the "Don't We Have More Important Things To Worry About Firefly" got
together and dragged the "Goode Idea Fairy" out behind the barn and tuned him up a little.

http://www.navytimes.com/articles/ratings-restored-effective-immediately-sailors-will-get-their-job-titles-back

"Navy leaders are reversing their controversial decision to eliminate sailors' ratings and will restore job titles across the fleet, according to a Navy message set for release Wednesday. "

"That Others May Zoom"

stillamarine

Quote from: Eclipse on December 21, 2016, 05:58:52 PM
Looks like the"Common Sense Gnome" and his drunk cousin the "Don't We Have More Important Things To Worry About Firefly" got
together and dragged the "Goode Idea Fairy" out behind the barn and tuned him up a little.

http://www.navytimes.com/articles/ratings-restored-effective-immediately-sailors-will-get-their-job-titles-back

"Navy leaders are reversing their controversial decision to eliminate sailors' ratings and will restore job titles across the fleet, according to a Navy message set for release Wednesday. "

The way I saw the official correspondence (Maybe ALNAV, like we called ALMARs?) CNO said him and MCPON were receiving a ton of negative feedback during their fleet visits. But they are still going to combine and eliminate some rates.
Tim Gardiner, 1st LT, CAP

USMC AD 1996-2001
USMCR    2001-2005  Admiral, Great State of Nebraska Navy  MS, MO, UDF
tim.gardiner@gmail.com

Eclipse

I'd be willing to bet the next SECNAV isn't likely to waste his time on stuff like this.

"That Others May Zoom"

THRAWN

Quote from: stillamarine on December 21, 2016, 06:05:42 PM

The way I saw the official correspondence (Maybe ALNAV, like we called ALMARs?) CNO said him and MCPON were receiving a ton of negative feedback during their fleet visits. But they are still going to combine and eliminate some rates.

Rating, not rate.

Combining and elimination has been going on since Noah was a deck seaman....
AFRCC SMC 10-97
NSS ISC 05-00
USAF SOS 2000
USAF ACSC 2011
US NWC 2016
USMC CSCDEP 2023

stillamarine

Quote from: THRAWN on December 21, 2016, 06:16:01 PM

Rating, not rate.

Potato potatoe. Just saying what I read.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Tim Gardiner, 1st LT, CAP

USMC AD 1996-2001
USMCR    2001-2005  Admiral, Great State of Nebraska Navy  MS, MO, UDF
tim.gardiner@gmail.com

THRAWN

Quote from: stillamarine on December 21, 2016, 06:26:51 PM
Quote from: THRAWN on December 21, 2016, 06:16:01 PM

Rating, not rate.

Potato potatoe. Just saying what I read.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

But it's not. Rate is your pay grade, rating is your job. Jobs get merged, clobbered, revived, etc all the time. Just by way of example,gunner's mates used to have a couple of different specialties (guns, torpedos?, mines?)...now they're all GMs.  SEALs and special boat types now have their own ratings. Wasn't always the case.
AFRCC SMC 10-97
NSS ISC 05-00
USAF SOS 2000
USAF ACSC 2011
US NWC 2016
USMC CSCDEP 2023