Snapping to attention when responding to NCO's?

Started by Domish, September 28, 2016, 04:23:27 AM

Domish

Are cadet airmen supposed to snap to attention when responding to NCO's? I was under the impression that this is reserved for officers.
i.e.
A group of cadets standing at ease comes to the position of attention to say "yes sergeant/chief" then goes back to at ease.
I couldn't find any CAP guidance on this but AFI 34-1201 briefly goes over it:
8.2. Other Marks of Respect.
8.2.1. Juniors shall show deference to seniors at all times by recognizing their presence and
by employing a courteous and respectful bearing and mode of speech toward them.
8.2.2. Juniors shall stand at attention (unless seated at mess or circumstances make such
action impracticable or inappropriate) as follows:
8.2.2.1. When addressed by a senior officer

SarDragon

Simple answer, no. However, it depends on the situation. As things become more formal, the more likely you might need to conform to the stated behavior. Usually, though, in most situations it's not necessary, and people who "require" it are making a show of power.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

TheSkyHornet

The above is accurate.

However, as always, a squadron could make it SOP to snap to attention, greet NCOs, etc.

"Good afternoon, Chief."

It's not wrong, but it's not required.

abdsp51

Nothing wrong with it per say, but outside of maybe a training course is really unnecessary and wastes time.  Now are NCOs expected to do this for the SNCOs and officers and so on up the chain?

IMO no need for it during a weekly meeting or outside activity. 

The AF does something similiar in BMT and Tech schools where the trainees are required to come to attention out of the way when a NCO or above walks by and usually the term "standby" is applied.  Again IMO a waste of time but it was a training tool. 

YMMV.  OP if you feel this is a concern talk to your CoC, CDC (if in a composite sq) and see if you can get an explanation for this and if it applies to everyone and not just cadet airmen.

Domish

Our squadron is in the process of creating an actual written SOP for our weekly meetings but as of yet snapping to attention isn't included. And it is just for C/AB-C/SrA. As a C/SSgt I don't have to come to attention to speak to SNCO's. I find it unnecessary but that's the way our CdC was taught. I might be able to make an argument that the rule should be just for officers and SNCO's.

abdsp51

Quote from: Domish on September 30, 2016, 12:26:52 PM
Our squadron is in the process of creating an actual written SOP for our weekly meetings but as of yet snapping to attention isn't included. And it is just for C/AB-C/SrA. As a C/SSgt I don't have to come to attention to speak to SNCO's. I find it unnecessary but that's the way our CdC was taught. I might be able to make an argument that the rule should be just for officers and SNCO's.

Unless it is going to be SOP for all cadets to "snap to" for all grades senior to them this is a bad practice.  You create a castes system and that is counter productive to what the CP is about.

Eclipse

Quote from: Domish on September 30, 2016, 12:26:52 PM

You may want to remind your leadership what a bad idea written SOP OIs are for what should be normal day-to-day interactions, especially
if the intent is to make members, cadets or otherwise, behave differently then either regs or culture, for starters because when they
go out to Group or Wing activities the reaction will be to correct them (A unit's OI ends at the front door) , which puts your cadets in a bad position.

Further, on a practical note, nothing delights an IG during an SUI then an improperly published, reviewed, or maintained OI, and
unit CC's have enough to worry about without making up more unnecessary documents to keep an eye on. 

Somehow 95+ percent of units in CAP can get by without any special instructions, yet some CCs feel the need to "enhance" the program.

"That Others May Zoom"

Toad1168

In formations, I can see this practice.  At an encampment, possibly, depending on the rationale and what "training" is accomplished.  In day to day operations and interactions I don't see the benefit.  And if it's because it was done somewhere else and the implementer decided to bring it home, I would question the relevance.
Toad