Main Menu

Joining as a CAP senior

Started by hedgehogger, September 14, 2016, 09:10:22 PM

hedgehogger

Back in high school I wanted to volunteer for Civil Air Patrol but because of a friend I ended volunteering for another public service entity. Now that I'm in college I've been really wanting to fulfill that dream and experience CAP. My question is how is being a senior member different than a youth member in terms of pretty much everything (meetings, events, etc.)?

Майор Хаткевич

Quote from: hedgehogger on September 14, 2016, 09:10:22 PM
Back in high school I wanted to volunteer for Civil Air Patrol but because of a friend I ended volunteering for another public service entity. Now that I'm in college I've been really wanting to fulfill that dream and experience CAP. My question is how is being a senior member different than a youth member in terms of pretty much everything (meetings, events, etc.)?

The short answer? Yes.

The long answer? Extremely, with some overlap in opportunities/activities.

hedgehogger

Do you mean yes, they do differ?

etodd

How many Squadrons are in your area? Go visit each at least 3 times. Each Squadron is as different as night and day. You'll not find the type answers you seek here in this forum. No way to answer it. Each one here belonging to so many different Squadrons in various regions and wings.
"Don't try to explain it, just bow your head
Breathe in, breathe out, move on ..."

Eclipse

They differ significantly.

At the most basic level, cadets are there to take from the program, while seniors are there to give to the program.

Most cadet activities are centered around learning, mentoring, and personal growth of the respective cadets (i.e. they are literally the mission).

Most senior activities are either operational in nature (i.e. ES or flying), or support the non-operational missions.  Training is specific to given
roles and jobs, is done tangentially to the actual activities, and the senior members are always the people in charge and supervising (even in
cases where cadets are encouraged to be leaders and managers).

Grade and progression are important for seniors, but not nearly as much, nor in the same way, as for cadets.  There is also no peer authority
based on grade in the senior program as their is with cadets.  IOW, as a senior member, you are either in charge or you aren't, unrelated to grade.

You'll see seniors sweep a room for the ranking cadet and tell him / her to "take charge of the room and blah blah", you're not going to see that as a senior member.

I agree with etodd - go visit units to understand the dynamics and see what day-to-day CAP is all about.  No unit CC worth his salt will let you join without
2-3 meetings at least under your belt, so go check them out.

"That Others May Zoom"

etodd

I visited the Squadron I'm in now about 7 years ago. Two meetings and I knew CAP wasn't for me (based on visiting one Squadron.)   I visited the SAME Squadron again last year and it was day and night different. I joined and am glad I did.  Go visit and get to know folks. :)
"Don't try to explain it, just bow your head
Breathe in, breathe out, move on ..."

hedgehogger

Seeing that seniors are expected to give, is it expected for seniors to have had CAP experience before? I will definitely visit the squadrons in my area. I asked just to get a broad overview. What are "non-operational missions"?

Holding Pattern

Quote from: hedgehogger on September 15, 2016, 03:37:59 AM
Seeing that seniors are expected to give, is it expected for seniors to have had CAP experience before? I will definitely visit the squadrons in my area. I asked just to get a broad overview. What are "non-operational missions"?

It is not necessary, but it could be useful for assisting in the cadet programs.

ColonelJack

Quote from: hedgehogger on September 15, 2016, 03:37:59 AM

I read your question, and the first thing that popped into my head was this quote, from Spock to Saavik, in "The Wrath of Khan":

For everything, there is a first time.

Jack
Jack Bagley, Ed. D.
Lt. Col., CAP (now inactive)
Gill Robb Wilson Award No. 1366, 29 Nov 1991
Admiral, Great Navy of the State of Nebraska
Honorary Admiral, Navy of the Republic of Molossia

hedgehogger

Haha love the Star Trek reference. Thank you all!