Main Menu

Sully

Started by NIN, September 12, 2016, 12:55:34 AM

NIN

So if you go to see the movie Sully...

Pay attention when the "young Sully" is being given a dual lesson in a biplane, and then has a conversation with his instructor afterward.  As the instructor turns to walk to the airport building, there's a CAP emblem on the building....

w00t!

Darin Ninness, Col, CAP
I have no responsibilities whatsoever
I like to have Difficult Adult Conversations™
The contents of this post are Copyright © 2007-2024 by NIN. All rights are reserved. Specific permission is given to quote this post here on CAP-Talk only.

ironputts

Good movie.

Lesson: Don't be quick to judge or look for the first human scapegoat.
Greg Putnam, Lt. Col., CAP

TheSkyHornet

Quote from: ironputts on September 12, 2016, 01:00:47 PM
Good movie.

Human Factors Analysis 101  :clap:

Live2Learn

Quote from: TheSkyHornet on September 12, 2016, 01:13:12 PM
Quote from: ironputts on September 12, 2016, 01:00:47 PM
Good movie.

Human Factors Analysis 101  :clap:

AvWeb's opinion piece/review is worth reading:  http://www.avweb.com/blogs/insider/Sully-The-Movie-226928-1.html

EMT-83

That CAP emblem stood right out - pretty cool.

The one thing that really blew me away was the reaction of the air traffic controller. Without giving much away to those who haven't seen the movie, I could relate to this aspect of the story. As a 911 dispatcher, it hit me hard every time a cop or firefighter got hurt on my watch. I can't imagine an airliner going down.

JeffDG

Luis R. Ramos

If you watch it on Youtube, you will be able to read the comments, which are almost as great as the review itself.

The non-embedded version here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zX8Lm4t_zJI

Thanks, Jeff, for posting The Onion review. Still cannot make sense of it, but it was funny...

:clap:
Squadron Safety Officer
Squadron Communication Officer
Squadron Emergency Services Officer

THRAWN

Won't somebody please think of the goslings?
Strup-"Belligerent....at times...."
AFRCC SMC 10-97
NSS ISC 05-00
USAF SOS 2000
USAF ACSC 2011
US NWC 2016
USMC CSCDEP 2023

Luis R. Ramos

The goslings?

When mature, will become great Christmas geese, or Thanksgiving fare, or...

Let's see, fried goose... baked goose, how many more recipes do you know?

Can we make the Turducken substituting a goose?
Squadron Safety Officer
Squadron Communication Officer
Squadron Emergency Services Officer

Chappie

Quote from: NIN on September 12, 2016, 12:55:34 AM
So if you go to see the movie Sully...

Pay attention when the "young Sully" is being given a dual lesson in a biplane, and then has a conversation with his instructor afterward.  As the instructor turns to walk to the airport building, there's a CAP emblem on the building....

w00t!

Excellent use of "product placement" :)     Will CAP become the new "Reese's Pieces"?
Disclaimer:  Not to be confused with the other user that goes by "Chappy"   :)

ka8yiu

Quote from: JeffDG on September 12, 2016, 04:20:18 PM
Great review here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zX8Lm4t_zJI

Oh the humanity!

It saddens me to think that those geese will never fill their parking lots with goose-poop ever again!

PHall

Yeah, I love goslings, for dinner...     I had an encounter with our Canadian friends when I was flying on EC-135C's.
We lost one engine, but we still had three good ones so we were able to dump a bunch of fuel and our scheduled 8.4 hour flight ended up only being a .2 hour flight.   TF33-P9's are tough, but not "Goose Rated".

Eclipse

They're "protected" around me, primarily because like 1 million years ago they were migratory.

Well they don't migrate any more, and if they ever aren't protected again, I may take up "golf" again.

Huge flying rats.

"That Others May Zoom"

Mitchell 1969

Quote from: PHall on September 18, 2016, 06:16:40 PM
Yeah, I love goslings, for dinner...     I had an encounter with our Canadian friends when I was flying on EC-135C's.
We lost one engine, but we still had three good ones so we were able to dump a bunch of fuel and our scheduled 8.4 hour flight ended up only being a .2 hour flight.   TF33-P9's are tough, but not "Goose Rated".

How did you know they were Canadian?

(I'll cut it short before it grows out of control - they are "Canada Geese," not "Canadian Geese." They can come from anywhere and still be called "Canada Geese," as that's a species identifier, not an identifier of origin).

Mitchell 1969; Earhart 1971; Eaker 1973. Cadet Flying Encampment, License, 1970. IACE New Zealand 1971; IACE Korea 1973.

CAP has been bery, bery good to me.

LSThiker

Quote from: Eclipse on September 18, 2016, 06:53:19 PM
They're "protected" around me, primarily because like 1 million years ago they were migratory.

Well they don't migrate any more, and if they ever aren't protected again, I may take up "golf" again.

Well hunting season is generally October to January for Canada Goose.  Although, I think IL has different dates depending on the zone (North, Central, South) you are in. 

Just saying.....

Quote from: Mitchell 1969 on September 18, 2016, 10:00:35 PM
How did you know they were Canadian?

I am not the only one that gets annoyed when people call them Canadian Geese :)

Eclipse

Quote from: LSThiker on September 19, 2016, 01:10:43 AM
Quote from: Eclipse on September 18, 2016, 06:53:19 PM

Well hunting season is generally October to January for Canada Goose.  Although, I think IL has different dates depending on the zone (North, Central, South) you are in. 

Just saying...

Unfortunately the issue shows up in the urban areas because of all the retention ponds in subdivisions and
commercial spaces, resulting in these things crossing busy streets in traffic and creating a hazardous condition.
Run one over to avoid being killed by a semi behind you and you could be in for a nasty fine on top of having to clean your
car.

Experience has shown that walking around hunting geese on the local golf course really gets people "excited".

http://web.extension.illinois.edu/wildlife/directory_show.cfm?species=canadagoose

As noted, their role as "food for predators" means...predators...one of the reasons I have coyotes that occasionally
walk through my yard (though it's more likely the bunnies and skunks).

"That Others May Zoom"

Live2Learn

This graphic is posted on the NTSB website under 'publications'.  it is the "defining event" for reportable accidents for CY 2013 (the most recent year for which data are summarized and posted).  Note the number of "System Malfunction Powerplant".  For the mostly single engine piston powered fixed wing fleet (that's us) losing our one and only powerplant is almost Las Vegas house odds.  Note also that all by itself, powerplant malfunction exceeds Loss of Control - I.  Add in the other stuff (unknown, fuel starvation, System Malfunction non-powerplant, etc) where the ride became unairworthy while in flight to the point that the pilot's ability to compensate was overwhelmed, the numbers are quite respectable.  The point here is that any pilot can get to play Sully in real life, and the odds aren't too bad that over time there have been a lot of SE FW unrecognized heros.  Kudos to Sully, and Kudos to the other pilots who continue to pull off survivable landings - some in the water - under very difficult circumstances.

LSThiker

Quote from: Eclipse on September 19, 2016, 02:26:36 AM
Unfortunately the issue shows up in the urban areas

Yeah, I know the issues.  I have lived with plenty of Canada geese in my areas in both rural and urban environments. 

QuoteRun one over to avoid being killed by a semi behind you and you could be in for a nasty fine on top of having to clean your
car.

No you probably won't, unless you purposely go out of your way to hit one or are constantly hitting one.  I have hit a few geese in my lifetime for those exact same reasons.  Called the FWS to report it and have been told "That is nice.  We know the area.  Try not to hit any more in the future".  Safety of your vehicle and the surrounding vehicles outweigh the federal law.  If there is an animal, protected or not, crossing a busy street and you cannot safely avoid or stop before hitting it, then you will not be fined.  In fact, I remember a long time ago (late 90s, early 2000s) the State Patrol in my area were telling people do not stop in middle of I-80 if ducks or geese are crossing.  It is safer to just hit the animals rather than try to stop in rush-hour traffic.  Similar to when the State Patrol told drivers not to stop for the ducks on I-35 in Minneapolis back in 2015.

Call the USFWS or your states FWS and ask them about it. 

abdsp51

Quote from: LSThiker on September 19, 2016, 03:25:46 AM
Quote from: Eclipse on September 19, 2016, 02:26:36 AM
Unfortunately the issue shows up in the urban areas

Yeah, I know the issues.  I have lived with plenty of Canada geese in my areas in both rural and urban environments. 

QuoteRun one over to avoid being killed by a semi behind you and you could be in for a nasty fine on top of having to clean your
car.

No you probably won't, unless you purposely go out of your way to hit one or are constantly hitting one.  I have hit a few geese in my lifetime for those exact same reasons.  Called the FWS to report it and have been told "That is nice.  We know the area.  Try not to hit any more in the future".  Safety of your vehicle and the surrounding vehicles outweigh the federal law.  If there is an animal, protected or not, crossing a busy street and you cannot safely avoid or stop before hitting it, then you will not be fined.  In fact, I remember a long time ago (late 90s, early 2000s) the State Patrol in my area were telling people do not stop in middle of I-80 if ducks or geese are crossing.  It is safer to just hit the animals rather than try to stop in rush-hour traffic.  Similar to when the State Patrol told drivers not to stop for the ducks on I-35 in Minneapolis back in 2015.

Call the USFWS or your states FWS and ask them about it.

Try that with a Gila Monster in Az. 

abdsp51

Is this now a case study for crew/resource management?