EF Johnson 5300 not making sound when receiving

Started by chimera388, September 05, 2016, 04:04:48 PM

chimera388

Good morning, all

I just finished installing my EF Johnson 5300 in my POV, and I've run into a problem. When the radio is receiving a transmission on any frequency, it doesn't seem to activate the speaker. The green light goes on, but no sound comes out of the radio. I know that the speaker is working, because if I put it on scan, I head RF noise as usual. Additionally, I don't hear any beeps when it powers on, or when I press buttons. Transmit works fine on both simplex and duplex channels. Any ideas?

arajca

arajca

No beeps can be a programmed setting, not necessarily indicative of an error.

On the accessory plug, does the loop wire connect ports 1 & 3 or 1 & 2? 1-3 activate the internal speaker, 1-2 is for an external speaker.

Eclipse

Those silly jumpers cause more problems.

Hey EJF - ever heard of a dip switch?

"That Others May Zoom"

arajca

Quote from: chimera388 on September 05, 2016, 06:54:44 PM
One and three
That narrows it down. It may be something in the programming or an internal circuit problem. I don't have the EFJ software at work, so I can't go any further here.

arajca

Quote from: Eclipse on September 05, 2016, 07:06:04 PM

DIP switches mean opening the case (generally). How about a standard speaker jack? You know, like on a Walkman, phone, computer, etc, etc, etc. Plugging in the headphones/ext. speaker disables the built in speaker.

chimera388

I'm pursuing a lead. I think the termination was bad on the cable, so it's receiving power from my test radio 1 meter away from it, but no modulated signal.

Eclipse

Quote from: arajca on September 05, 2016, 07:29:57 PM
Quote from: Eclipse on September 05, 2016, 07:06:04 PM

DIP switches mean opening the case (generally). How about a standard speaker jack? You know, like on a Walkman, phone, computer, etc, etc, etc. Plugging in the headphones/ext. speaker disables the built in speaker.

You could have dip switches on the back, but yes, a regular speaker jack would be much better.

"That Others May Zoom"

Brad

Quote from: chimera388 on September 05, 2016, 04:04:48 PM...if I put it on scan, I head RF noise as usual...

What do you mean when you put it on scan? Do you mean when you toggle the monitor or squelch normal vs squelch select? Just wanting to confirm that you're saying you're hearing RF noise but no voice. Have you tried listening to an attempted transmission on a completely open squelch?
Brad Lee
Maj, CAP
Assistant Deputy Chief of Staff, Communications
Mid-Atlantic Region
K4RMN

chimera388

Yeah, toggling the monitor is what I mean, and I'm hearing RF noise with no voice. When I leave it in MON and transmit a test signal, the speaker goes silent and receive light is green until the end of the transmission. Then I go back to RF noise.

Does anyone know how to get the key press beep to turn on? That would make me more confident that this isn't a hardware issue if I could get it to play that sound from internally.

SarDragon

Beeps are enabled via programming.

Sent from my phone.

Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

Brad

Quote from: chimera388 on September 08, 2016, 10:20:41 PM
Yeah, toggling the monitor is what I mean, and I'm hearing RF noise with no voice. When I leave it in MON and transmit a test signal, the speaker goes silent and receive light is green until the end of the transmission. Then I go back to RF noise.

That is interesting. Are you on the CAP-Comm email list? Sign up there at http://www.themareks.com/com/ and ask your question there, hopefully someone can point you in the right direction.
Brad Lee
Maj, CAP
Assistant Deputy Chief of Staff, Communications
Mid-Atlantic Region
K4RMN