Statement for CAP

Started by Capmonkey, August 25, 2016, 04:52:06 PM

Capmonkey

Hey guys. I could use all of your help on something. One of the cadets in our squadron talked with the principal at our school, and he said that we could go to the school and make a statement about CAP over the intercom. I'm leaning toward the definition of the Cadet Programs on gocivilairpatrol.com, but I'm completely open to suggestions. What do all of you think?

Thanks,
Capmonkey

NIN

Quote from: Capmonkey on August 25, 2016, 04:52:06 PM
Hey guys. I could use all of your help on something. One of the cadets in our squadron talked with the principal at our school, and he said that we could go to the school and make a statement about CAP over the intercom. I'm leaning toward the definition of the Cadet Programs on gocivilairpatrol.com, but I'm completely open to suggestions. What do all of you think?

Thanks,
Capmonkey

For a quick announcement, thats probably A-OK.

But what thats missing is a "Call to Action."

Think about it like this: You're watching TV and on comes an advertisment for, say, a car.  "The 1990 Chevrolet Geo. Stylish. Sporty. That's Geo!"

And then you're back to re-runs.  You're not exactly running for the dealership to plunk down $1500 on a new car.

If, however, the ad says "The 1990 Chevy Geo! If you come to our sales event happening on Friday, you can get America's favorite stylish and sporty sedan for just $1500 down and $97 a month for 48 months!" this gives you a call to action. Some direction ("this friday", "at the dealership," etc) and a little qualification ("$1500 down, $97 a month").

To equate this with a CAP announcement, the blurb from GoCivilAirPatrol.com:

"While there are many youth oriented programs in America today, CAP's cadet program is unique in that it uses aviation as a cornerstone.  Thousands of young people from 12 years through age 21 are introduced to aviation through CAP's cadet program.  The program allows young people to progress at their own pace through a 16-step program including aerospace education, leadership training, physical fitness and moral leadership.  Cadets compete for academic scholarships to further their studies in fields such as engineering, science, aircraft mechanics, aerospace medicine, meteorology, as well as many others. Those cadets who earn cadet officer status may enter the Air Force as an E3 (airman first class) rather than an E1 (airman basic).

Whatever your interests-survival training, flight training, photography, astronomy-there's a place for you in CAP's cadet program.  Each year, cadets have the opportunity  to participate in special activities at the local, state, regional or national level.  Many cadets will have the opportunity to solo fly an airplane for the first time through a flight encampment or academy.  Others will enjoy traveling abroad through the International Air Cadet Exchange Program. Still others assist at major air shows throughout the nation."

I can hear a school full of already bored to tears teenagers tuning out instantly..

Or, you can say "Hey, interested in aviation, leadership and the Air Force?  You should check out the Civil Air Patrol. [a quick 2-3 sentence recap of what Civil Air Patrol is, or the CP is]   Come to the Joe Blow Cadet Squadron this coming Thursday at 6pm here in the cafeteria to find out more about how you can get involved!"

thats got a call to action in it that is *VERY* specific. 

Doing a generalized announcement is almost always going to have really poor results. :)

Darin Ninness, Col, CAP
I have no responsibilities whatsoever
I like to have Difficult Adult Conversations™
The contents of this post are Copyright © 2007-2024 by NIN. All rights are reserved. Specific permission is given to quote this post here on CAP-Talk only.

PReeves

Hello,

I recommend that you just do a brief announcement that covers all 3 missions of CAP to catch the attention of people with interest in one or more of them. For example, maybe try something like:

Maybe you want to be a leader, Maybe you want to learn to fly, or maybe you just want to serve and help out your community. What ever it may be, you can accomplish it through the Civil Air Patrol. By joining as a cadet, (and/or a senior, if you think about the teachers also...) You get the chance to fly aircraft, Help out with search and rescue while gaining emergency services qualifications, and you get to learn leadership skills that will surely last you a lifetime! If you are interested in joining as a cadet (and/or senior member) or want to check CAP out, come talk to ________ at ________ (or, visit our squadron at _________ on _____ from _____ to _______) Thank you! 

Hope it helps,
Lt. Blues

coudano

"While there are many youth oriented programs in America today, CAP's cadet program is unique in that it uses aviation as a cornerstone.  Thousands of young people from 12 years through age 21 are introduced to aviation through CAP's cadet program.  The program allows young people to progress at their own pace through a 16-step program including aerospace education, leadership training, physical fitness and moral leadership.  Cadets compete for academic scholarships to further their studies in fields such as engineering, science, aircraft mechanics, aerospace medicine, meteorology, as well as many others. Those cadets who earn cadet officer status may enter the Air Force as an E3 (airman first class) rather than an E1 (airman basic).

Whatever your interests-survival training, flight training, photography, astronomy-there's a place for you in CAP's cadet program.  Each year, cadets have the opportunity  to participate in special activities at the local, state, regional or national level.  Many cadets will have the opportunity to solo fly an airplane for the first time through a flight encampment or academy.  Others will enjoy traveling abroad through the International Air Cadet Exchange Program. Still others assist at major air shows throughout the nation."

Yeah, way too long for the morning announcements.

You want to get that down to a few alluring descriptive sentences (hey cool that sounds like fun!) and the aforementioned call to action (where do i go to get in on all this awesomeness).

Coordinate the announcement on the PA with a blitzing of the hallways of CAP posters with action shots and directions to the squadron open house.

Capmonkey

I'd like to thank all of you for the suggestions. I have been coordinating with the cadet and the Sq. CC as well, and have come up with a statement to say over the intercom. I took all of your suggestions into account, and would like to thank all of you.

Sincerely,
C/2d Lt Capmonkey

raivo

Might we see the statement, in case it's helpful to anyone else in the future?

CAP Member, 2000-20??
USAF Officer, 2009-2018
Recipient of a Mitchell Award Of Irrelevant Number

"No combat-ready unit has ever passed inspection. No inspection-ready unit has ever survived combat."

SMWOG

In my head,I can hear the voice from MASH on the loud speaker giving the announcement  about CAP. 8)

NIN

Quote from: SMWOG on August 30, 2016, 03:38:06 PM
In my head,I can hear the voice from MASH on the loud speaker giving the announcement  about CAP. 8)

One year, we had our encampment at the old ROTC barracks at Wright-Patt.  The comm squadron comes and installs the PA system (PA horns on the outside of the building facing the parking lot, and PA horns on each floor of each barracks building) just the ROTC folks us. Oh, look the amp and mic are in the training office.

So randomly, throughout the day, we'd occasionally throw a sound effect out there (I had several CDs full of sound effects).  The commander was a big fan of M*A*S*H and every evening right  after chow.. "Attention.. attention.. Tonight's movie, Back To Baatan starring John Wayne has been canceled.. Thank you."
Darin Ninness, Col, CAP
I have no responsibilities whatsoever
I like to have Difficult Adult Conversations™
The contents of this post are Copyright © 2007-2024 by NIN. All rights are reserved. Specific permission is given to quote this post here on CAP-Talk only.

THRAWN

Quote from: NIN on August 30, 2016, 06:05:06 PM
Quote from: SMWOG on August 30, 2016, 03:38:06 PM

One year, we had our encampment at the old ROTC barracks at Wright-Patt.  The comm squadron comes and installs the PA system (PA horns on the outside of the building facing the parking lot, and PA horns on each floor of each barracks building) just the ROTC folks us. Oh, look the amp and mic are in the training office.

So randomly, throughout the day, we'd occasionally throw a sound effect out there (I had several CDs full of sound effects).  The commander was a big fan of M*A*S*H and every evening right  after chow.. "Attention.. attention.. Tonight's movie, Back To Baatan starring John Wayne has been canceled.. Thank you."

"The following people have signed up for the weekly 10 mile hike.... (dead silence for a second)... that will be all."
Strup-"Belligerent....at times...."
AFRCC SMC 10-97
NSS ISC 05-00
USAF SOS 2000
USAF ACSC 2011
US NWC 2016
USMC CSCDEP 2023

raivo

Quote from: NIN on August 30, 2016, 06:05:06 PMOne year, we had our encampment at the old ROTC barracks at Wright-Patt.  The comm squadron comes and installs the PA system (PA horns on the outside of the building facing the parking lot, and PA horns on each floor of each barracks building) just the ROTC folks us. Oh, look the amp and mic are in the training office.

Ergh. When I went through Air and Space Basic Course at Maxwell as a 2Lt, the first week was spent at "Blue Thunder," a simulated deployment environment near the end of the flightline.

Whoever was in charge of the PA system apparently fancied themselves a newscaster/DJ, because every night that I tried to go "bed" early, I instead was kept awake by sports scores I didn't care about, and the playing of "Don't Stop Believing" at least once a night.

CAP Member, 2000-20??
USAF Officer, 2009-2018
Recipient of a Mitchell Award Of Irrelevant Number

"No combat-ready unit has ever passed inspection. No inspection-ready unit has ever survived combat."